ID:294440

I am in the process of coding a new game. I want to I am almost done. But I am at the point where I need to make a map.

However, making a map isnt my strong part i am a much better coder then iconer or mapper. So I was wondering if there are any tips on making a great map.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any place where there are free map icons located?

Thanks for your time,

Mitch
It really depends on the type of game you are creating...

As for RPG's (Which i am assuming, so correct me if i am wrong) just a realistic style would be mostly needed, again, mainly depending on the game it will be utilized in. Like, deserts and tundra right by each other (desert, in this case, is the hot-desert, not cold-desert, as they also exist) unless of course the game's lore can explain that circumstance, then it could, freedom is yours to make the map, so most people can only give general guidelines, that, may or may not help depending on the situation.
You'll want to go to the Developer Forums and post this in the Design Philosophy section, you'll get a lot more replies there, as it pertains to this type of question.