ID:294457

BYOND Build Number: 479.1086
Operating System: Windows XP
Video/Graphics Card: built into motherboard (I have no idea)
Game Hub/Link: n/a
Internet Connection Type: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter/ semi-wireless
Firewalls/Routers: Dad's linksys router (no idea beyond that)

Problem Description: We've just had to build a tower after our laptop died and I just re-downloaded the byond.exe. I was running it like normal and when I go to log in with my username and password it starts validating and then goes to a message that says Cannot read key file. No matter if we use my key or my live-in bfs key it gives us the same message. We have no idea why it is doing it. We can log into the site just fine but the byond hub won't log us in. We didn't have this problem at all on the laptop so we are at a loss.

Steps to Reproduce Problem: I've uninstalled and reinstalled byond and tried to access a game from the site after logging in. Even tried logging in as a guest and it gives the same message.
The same is happening to me as well.
In response to Mantamarine
Same here, I tried some of the previously posted fixes (ie deleting the key file and then restarting the program, etc, making sure it's not read-only) No luck.
In response to Zaerru
Also having this problem. 481.1090.

Go to log in: "Cannot read key file!"
Have uninstalled, reinstalled a number of times.
Completely deleted all BYOND files from all locations.
When reinstalled, made sure the key.txt and directory tree to it has full read/write permissions, everything.

Have tried pointing it to another location after install and had it copy the contents over. Nothing.
Have done this manually. Nothing.
Have changed my password via this website in an attempt to force a new key to be created (not sure this is how it works, but worth a try).
Same result: key.txt is always a zero byte file and the message on login attempt via BYOND application is "Cannot read key file!"

Is this account effectively dead?
In response to Fabby Coolidge
To users:

A fix for this, if a simple uninstall/reinstall has not worked, and if you have access to another machine or can install a virtual machine on the one you have, is to install BYOND on this separate machine, log in and take a copy of the newly generated key.txt. It works across machines.

To admin:

The above fix suggests perhaps something residual from the installation is blocking the creation of a new key on our original machines. Registry entries perhaps, seeing as all files were removed?

I don't know if this is suggested elsewhere, apologies if so, but urging a backup of key.txt to new users might be worth the few keystrokes. I leave that your discretion though as this doesn't appear to be a widespread problem - a simple uninstall/reinstall cycle appears to work for most.