ID:294476

Several of my friends running byond on windows vista are getting malware attacks when they connect to a game, any game it seems.

When they try to connect, they start to download resources and then the download slows down and stops, after cancelling the resource download window, they're attacked by malware and are forced to restart. Afterward byond is damaged to the point where it will no longer start up and they have to reinstall it.

After doing a fresh reinstall of his OS and Byond another friend was still attacked when attempting to connect ( to Naruto: GOA just to confirm if it was all games )

I don't know if this is byond breaking and windows 7 being the overenthusiastic OS that it is, calling out byond as a malware threat, but it is causing them to need to, at least, restart their computer in order to resume normal operation.

Any insight to what's going on, but it seems there's only two possibilities:

A: there's some king of malware directed at win7 machines somewhere inside of byond

B: Byond crashes accidentally and Win7 is being a jackass and calling it a threat, like it's known to rarely do.

I personally think it's win7 being retarded but it's best not to leave every option out... otherwise could there be just a normal virus that used byond for a replication host?
We're still looking through the possibilities ourselves, I just figured I should bring this to your attention should you have any insight on what is going on.

Thanks
Well from my past experience with BYOND i have had no viruses from it, maybe its people from BYOND possibly sending you a virus, or its Win7 thiking that BYOND is a virus, i have had that problem before and i had to go on the firewall and manually "tell" win 7 that BYOND is safe.
Bravo1 wrote:
Any insight to what's going on, but it seems there's only two possibilities:

A: there's some king of malware directed at win7 machines somewhere inside of byond

That one is obviously ridiculous. We have no reason to do such a thing, and it would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

B: Byond crashes accidentally and Win7 is being a jackass and calling it a threat, like it's known to rarely do.

That's possible, or it could be a specific antivirus program on your machine, but it seems highly unlikely.

I personally think it's win7 being retarded but it's best not to leave every option out... otherwise could there be just a normal virus that used byond for a replication host?

That's much more likely. Anything that infected the actual .exe files would be a much more obvious place to look. I strongly suggest using Malwarebytes and HijackThis in addition to your other antivirus tools.

Lummox JR