In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Note that Stephen's proxy is running just fine and works...

Sorry but a third party solution isn't a permanent one you should know that ....
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Sorry but a third party solution isn't a permanent one you should know that ....

That is possibly one of the most unhealthy attitudes towards third-party work as a programmer that you can have. I'm sorry that you feel that way, and unfortunately I know that many others at BYOND do as well. And the only person it hurts is yourself :)

But you know, its not like you can just clone the project and set up your own Proxy or anything, even if you are super paranoid and think that Stephen will just shut it down if people are actually using it.
Now now don't get your knickers in a twist, this would be much better if it was handled by BYOND itself.

Paranoid no not at all, All things come to an end at some point in time.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
this would be much better if it was handled by BYOND itself.

How, exactly, would this be better if it was handled by BYOND itself?

Let me take a stab at a pros & cons for implementing it on the official BYOND.com site, man-power and current situation taken into consideration. And I really tried to find pros:

Pros:
  • It'll be a byond.com/... URL, which looks more reliable.

Cons:
  • Tom and Lummox aren't much man-power, and so priority goes to critical features (Not often extra fluff such as this).
  • If you want the feature to work differently, you'll need to put in another feature request for a possibly small change / alteration / addition. Chances of that being solved anytime soon? Same as above.
  • Contrary to what you're saying, what services byond.com serve is NOT permanent. See blogs, hosting moved to Members-only, etc. What'll you do if they remove the feature again?

Note that I'm not saying that BYOND implementing it would be bad, per se. But there are countless reasons why third-party support for this sort of thing make perfect sense for BYOND, and its in the best interest of BYOND and its growth for the users to start realizing this. It would do many people good to qq less and take hold of active solutions that are already there.

Especially when that solution is being spoonfed, so that you can either use an existing up-and-running service, or tailor it to your own needs. All the works already been done for you.

Paranoid no not at all, All things come to an end at some point in time.

So does BYOND, its blogs, IPv4, the Internet and the world. Lets not stop living because of that, though =)
What I'm a little curious of, is what you intend to use it for, ATHK, and whether it meets your use cases?

If there are use cases you have that my current solution doesn't cover (or cover well), then I'm more than happy to discuss this here with you, and come up with the appropriate adjustments to support your work.

Presently I'm exploring the JSONP aspect that Yota mentioned. My gut says that CORS would be the better solution for that use-case though, however if it's got to work in the BYOND browser to be useful, then CORS is probably a no-no. As always, I could actually support both, with a development focus on JSONP first.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
What I'm a little curious of, is what you intend to use it for, ATHK, and whether it meets your use cases?

Your process meets my needs, it would be nicer to have this built in, in-case something ever happens to yours that was all.
Ah, well, the github project keeps the source open:

https://github.com/Stephen001/gotos-proxy

It's basically just a maven project that produces an EAR file, that you can deploy on any Java EE application server. I use Glassfish 3.0, as it goes, but the project doesn't have any application server specific dependencies.

Chances are when I have a bit more non-dev time, I'll make sure there's two servers running the EAR, and they share JNDI, so that you have some redundancy in case of one server dying, for example.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Now now don't get your knickers in a twist, this would be much better if it was handled by BYOND itself.

So I guess the authentication API would also be something best handled by BYOND, an Eclipse plug-in would also be best handled by BYOND etc.

See? This is why I don't even bother to try anymore.
In response to JBoer
It's just my opinion I feel that it's much safer than a third party app not run by myself or the provider of the website in this case that'll be BYOND.

Stephens process is open source that's fine and I do appreciate it.

[EDIT] which is why in the API post I asked you for the source, although I can do this via DMCGI + PHP I would rather be doing it without DMCGI.... or CGI at all for that matter.
Tough. You can't always have what you want. If you can't even trust your fellow developers then what has this place come to?
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
It's just my opinion I feel that it's much safer than a third party app not run by myself or the provider

If you can't make something open source and share it with fellow developers then what does that say about you?

This something and the API stuff has been requested by a fair few BYOND members.

Anyway we are taking this off topic.
Check my post under design philosophy.
Page: 1 2