ID:300714

Keywords: art, how, learn, pixel, to, vixiv
Okay I feel byond needs more Pixel Artist out there since there are only a few good ones out there. In this first part of the tutorial I'm going to show you all how to make a Base Character because every game should have it's own unique one.
(I'm going to make a 32x32 One)
First off I like to make my dimensions 32x32( By the way i don't like to use any fancy pixel system so i just use paint but you can use GIMP and all that other stuff if you want.)
Photobucket
Then to start off with the head I make a circle.
Photobucket
add a little curve or oval thing to the bottom.
Photobucket
Okay i don't know about all this human anatomy thingy so the bases may look uneven or whatever. I usually make the shoulders equal to its head.
Photobucket
Bring It down on the side of the arm.
Photobucket
Give him some hands you can make them big, small or what ever its up to you.
Photobucket
now draw a line down from the hand
Photobucket
then make feet
Photobucket
and now draw a line up
Photobucket
and you got some legs.

And there you go you got the first part done. now to do the back i usually just erase the line on the bottom of the head because i'm lazy :P.
but change the feet to face up now.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Now we add a East And West.
and here is what i like to do. i usually make the dimensions bigger for more room
Copy the two Directions and paste them next to each other.
Photobucket
Now take the head and erase a part of it
Photobucket
Photobucket
now give it shape
Photobucket
give it the body shape. pull the body forward and make him look kinda fat lol.
Photobucket
give him legs just like before and there you go you got 4 directions if you just flip it now to color.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Well this seems like a hard part for me since i can't pick skin tones but what ever i'll still try.
Use a color pallete or however you spell that its on the left corner.
Photobucket
Outline it with the darkest color you got in your pallete and throw away the black.(this is optional )
and now color in teh base with one of your lighter color.
Photobucket
Darken the color on the parts like under the neck and stuff.
Photobucket
There you go and now the eyes..(this can change if you are making a chibe like base or somthing)
Photobucket
I usually make them 2x2 eyes..

By the way i kinda changed the head a bit for the hair. And there you go its done.
Ps: I'm not the best pixel artist out there im just putting this out so people can actually learn to pixel art because most people are Really Really Lazy when learning this.
PSS: I'll teach you things like how to make it walk and stuff in teh next tutorial
PSSS: did i post this in the right place ??
If this was facebook I'd like this but alas, it is not. So I will comment and say that this is awesome.
Nice job, every little helps, but you got some whacky feet going on ;)
You just taught people how to almost pillow shade, your about 1 pixel off having a pillow shaded base, no offence, you need to learn, before you teach.
In response to Gensho
Kinda insulting but he's good enough to teach. I've seen some of his work and is better than this. So please don't judge based on just one simple example. Get to know the person a bit more. Great job Vix.
Frankly, I don't think this can be called a tutorial. While you do take us step by step through what you're doing, you don't explain what it is that's happening.
You just say draw this line here, or darken these pixels here, but you don't provide examples or explain ideas that can be taken away from this "tutorial" and applied to other sprites.

A Pixel Art tutorial should encompass and explain techniques. What is the point of line art? How do you add details that contribute to the sprite? How do you go about shading? How do you go about antialiasing? A primer on animating? Texturing? Palette Selection? How to use art references?
Those sort of things would warrant an article, because they are concrete ideas that can be taught.
I would agree that a little more explanation would be helpful. For example, the line art steps are fine, but whent you start adding in the palette, maybe take a moment to talk about the four color palette you are working with (outline, shadow, base, highlight). Then, when you start shading, talk a bit about light sourcing and shading and dithering. Nothing too detailed, just some starting points.
Cut him some slack is his first tutorial.
In response to Liight
Liight wrote:
Cut him some slack is his first tutorial.

It's simply being judged by the same standards as other tutorials. Just because it's a freshman effort doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.
In response to Popisfizzy
True.
In response to Gensho
He HARDLY shaded the base at all, in fact all he did was outline the muscles and shapes. Although I agree this base could be better, it's not that bad of a start. Sounds more like you're nitpicking than anything.
In response to Gensho
My only criticism is that most sprites don't have a uniform continuous outline in most contemporary 2D games (If you look at any given NPC or player icon in any GBA game it probably won't have a solid outline)
Lol Not to be a jerk and all but it seems like most the people hating this are the people who actually know how to pixel art. But like i said i ain't the best i'm just showing people how you can Learn to pixel art.(Also I don't seem to be well liked by other Pixel Artist :P)
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
(Also I don't seem to be well liked by other Pixel Artist :P)

Cause you suck. >=[
In response to ImmeasurableHate
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
VixiV wrote:
(Also I don't seem to be well liked by other Pixel Artist :P)

Cause you suck. >=[

^ I lol'd.

Regardless, while it's a good start for you first tutorial, it could use a lot of work. You should go further in-depth on what you're doing. Also, as stated, you should've gone into detail on defining muscles/tones which would have gotten you into anti-aliasing, light sources, etc.(granted you know how to do those things). However, this is still a good tutorial for beginner artists. (:
In response to ImmeasurableHate
Haha You just hate me cause i didn't like your idea...so stop hating.
In response to Kumorii
Yeah it's meant to help beginners not to help out the pros make their art look better.
In response to Ill Im
Ill Im wrote:
My only criticism is that most sprites don't have a uniform continuous outline in most contemporary 2D games (If you look at any given NPC or player icon in any GBA game it probably won't have a solid outline)

Contemporary games != GBA games
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
Haha You just hate me cause i didn't like your idea...so stop hating.

I was obviously kidding but w.e
In response to OrangeWeapons
GBA, DS, the art style's aren't much different. The only major difference is that the DS generally mixes 2D and 3D, and uses a lot more particle effects. Other than that, if you break the sprites down it is all the same.