ID:303603

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
That was not a personal attack. There are tutorials that are, either through ignorance, maliciousness, or a mix of both, bad. Sometimes even deliberately so. There should be some sort of public moderation of them, either through voting or some other method.

Referring to something as an example does not make it a personal attack, though my wording may have been overly-flamey. Rather that outright-deleting the post it should have been edited.
This new thread doesn't explain the benefits of the proposed feature.

As I said before, I'd be fine with a pure upvote system. "5 users found this helpful", displayed on the board overall. I think it'd be less helpful if you could only see the rating in the thread, but I guess that'd work too (might be able to just take the coding for the "help" forums and apply it here?).
I support this.
There are a lot of things related to tutorials (or any kind of developer resource) that could be handled better. The lack of any way for the quality ones to stand out is certainly a problem. I don't know if voting would work - the majority of the voters are the people who don't know any better. I'd rather have a review system in place kind of like there is (or was) for featured games. To be a "featured tutorial" you'd have to pass some kind of review.

It'd also be nice if "tutorial" was a kind of hub entry (like game, demo, or library), that way it'd get its own forum associated with it and the author had some moderator abilities. The comments and feedback related to a tutorial don't often form a single thread (especially for the higher quality, more read, longer lasting ones). The better tutorials that have more responses are more likely to have the good responses lost in the shuffle. This would let people ask simple questions or say things like "good tutorial!" without getting in the way of every other discussion related to it.
To be a "featured tutorial" you'd have to pass some kind of review.

I'd really like this back. With the demo/library page gone, it feels as though it'd be harder to get your resource out there. At the very least, having a "Top Resource of the Week" or something would be nice.
Having a "tutorial" hub category isn't such a bad idea, since, for one, it would allow us to group tutorials with demos/libraries and reinstate our old developer front page with tagged resources from the entire developer hub.

For "featured" stuff, probably the easiest thing to do is to just have a sticky post at the top of the developer section that outlines useful materials (demos, libs, and tuts) as decided by some of our more experienced users.
It'd also give you a way to lock discussions without locking all responses to the tutorial. You might as well delete locked tutorials - if people can't respond and ask questions the tutorials arent that useful.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
I don't know if voting would work - the majority of the voters are the people who don't know any better.

If there were a voting system in place, it should certainly be weighted. 'Help points' are now a thing, so maybe those could be taken into account.