ID:319598

I whipped up a simple barebones topdown game engine with the obligatory features:
-accurate mouse controls
-dynamically rotated icons
-smooth movement
and I added a sword and shield to play with.

http://www.byond.com/games/kaiochao/topdownengine

Considering what failures I've turned my other projects into (shootah and its numerous unpublished remakes), I chose to actually make a blog post about something... in its development.

Testing and feedback would be appreciated, as well as comments and ideas. Note that the sword and shield aren't carved in stone; I just wanted to see if I could make a decent-looking motion blur effect. Of course, I could add guns along with the sword and shield (mixing up Sword Fight and shootah), but that would probably be a bad idea.
Pretty cool demo. If I use the arrow keys my guy moves extremely quickly, maybe a bit too fast. The swinging looks nice and feels fluid. I would love to see the swinging in action against an opponent.
In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:
If I use the arrow keys my guy moves extremely quickly, maybe a bit too fast.
Darn you, DUNG! I forgot to override that.

Boxcar wrote:
The swinging looks nice and feels fluid. I would love to see the swinging in action against an opponent.
The sword does actually collide with other mortals (assuming their shield isn't facing you).
I agree it's a cool demo, but I need something to hit, outside of multiplayer. I'm not really sure if it does more damage based on your swinging speed or not, but it should. Also, although this is just a demo, it really needs a swoosh sound effect, it really needs that to complete the swing effect.
Earlier today I noticed the keyboard library doesn't delete the default macros. I'm guessing that's why the mob moves really fast if you use the arrow keys. I thought about changing this but I figured most people won't use the default interface and can easily remove the unnecessary macros.
Looks awesome, and is really smooth. This could be the start of something great. :)