ID:32407

I'm sick of having remote controls. I've only got three (XBOX 360, TV and stereo) but I'm also up to my eyes in wireless controllers (mainly Wiimotes =P). I've also got a few other remotes that don't see any action (heater, PC Tuner).
The main reason my XBOX 360 replaced my DVD player is that it eliminated the need for another remote control (and gave me one more free wall outlet).
When I get a PS3 that will probably take on DVD responsibilities but at the same time I'll still want the XBOX 360 remote laying around because it controls music in-game.
Right now I don't use my stereo much because the remote control has always fallen down behind something.

So I'm looking into ways to eliminate them, or combine them into a single unit. Every experience I've ever had with them has taught me that "universal" remote controls are complete BS. The best ones I've used get a couple of buttons right and the rest don't function correctly. It doesn't matter if it has a billion pre-programmed remote controls it always gets something wrong.
I want something I can program myself. I select a button, tell it what signal to send, and from that point on that button sends that signal when pressed.
Combo buttons are a plus, but not a must (ie, I hit 'XBOX' and it turns the stereo on, sets it to AUX1 and changes the TV to Component1).

One option I haven't explored yet is a network solution. I seem to recall a chap setting up his home network with a bunch of remote stations to control everything from his TV to his garage door via a browser or his NDS.
That would be cool, but I guess if I'm going to go to the computer I might as well get up and go press the buttons myself. If the DS did a good enough job I wouldn't use the browser often at all, but I suspect it would be annoying to wait for it to load and connect to the WiFi before being able to change channel.

So yeah, I'm just reviewing my options. If you're into this sort of stuff feel free to throw in your two cents.
Well, Logitech makes a remote with an LCD that is highly programmable, but it isn't cheap.
We have a One For All URC 9910 [link]. It rocks.

- It controls the TV, home theater receiver, DVD player, cable DVR, second TV, and the laptop (Apple remote).

- Keys can be reassigned at will, and/or "punched through" so they can be used in all device modes (for example, volume keys control the receiver whether you're in DVD or cable mode).

- You can program macros to perform multiple functions with one button. The "Home Theater" button on mine turns on the receiver, turns on the TV, sets the receiver to cable input, and sets the remote to cable device mode.

- It has learning capability so if your remote isn't in the database or doesn't have a particular function covered, you just point the remotes at each other and tell it to learn the button you want.

- New remote codes can be added over the phone. This is cool. You call up the company and if they have the new code in their database, they play a modem-like tone while you hold the remote up to the phone.

- It has a port for a JP-1 [link] interface so you can hook up the remote to your PC and program it or save/backup the current settings. Only drawback is the available editor programs are horribly designed with little documentation and take a while to figure out.

- The 9910 sends IR commands as RF too, with an RF receiver that you can place in the room where all the equipment is. The receiver converts the RF signal back to IR which your devices see. Then you can use the remote from other rooms through walls. This is great for controlling volume for the secondary speakers I have wired to the living room, or controlling the DVR from the bedroom (its output also goes there). If you don't need this feature, the 8910 is the same remote without RF.

My one and only complaint is that it's a little stingy on memory for key assignments and learned codes. I'm about out of memory and I'd like to reassign a few keys for the bedroom where devices are a little different. It's not a big deal, especially considering that other remotes with more memory can cost 5-10 times more.
That looks really nice. The memory will be an issue because I will probably go overboard. The learning capability seems to be the biggest drawing point. I've heard of it before but I couldn't recall what it was called.

the laptop (Apple remote)

That caused my ears to prick up. I forgot that my iPod dock can function with an Apple remote.

Well, Logitech makes a remote with an LCD that is highly programmable, but it isn't cheap.

I was looking at some of the Logitech remotes but a decent LCD display makes me feel like I'm going to spend more time worrying about whether it's charged or not.
Regardless of that, they make a cool looking remote control. =P

Thanks for the input.