BYOND Resource Repository
(View the changelog here).
The Blue Book - The one-stop guide for learning the basics of DM.
DM Reference - The manual that explains what each variable and procedure does.
- An offline version of this reference can be accessed by pressing F1 in Dream Maker.
Interface Reference - Controls and parameters guide for skins.
- An offline version of this reference can be accessed in the Help menu in Dream Maker.
DM Snippet Directory - Useful code samples by our users.
Webclient Developers' Guide - Creating games that are playable in the browser!
Resources by Developers
- Your First World - An introductory tutorial from the head honchos.
- Step BYOND - A complete, well-documented source code showing the basics of making a game with DM. Expands upon the Your First World tutorial.
- Using Libraries: A Don't Do It Yourself Guide
- Basic Debugging Tips
- How to Fail at Game Programming
(Note: this series of articles is currently incomplete).
- Tutorial 1 - New Project
- Tutorial 2 - Player Interactions
- Tutorial 3 - Variables and Procedures
- Tutorial 4 - Displaying Stats
- Tutorial 5 - Saving and Loading
- Tutorial 6 - Animating Icons
- Tutorial 7 - Attacking to Death
- Tutorial 8 - Enemy AI
- Tutorial 9 - Interface and Macros
- Programming Tips #1 - If Statements
- Programming Tips #2 - Making Progress
- Programming Tips #3 - Design
- Programming Tips #4 - Datums
- Programming Tips #5 - Organization
- Programming Tips #6 - Procs and Organizing Code
- Programming Tips #7 - Comments and Whitespace
- Programming Tips #8 - Loops and Ifs
- Programming Tips #9 - The Map Editor
- Programming Tips #10 - Variable Names
- Programming Tips #11 - Bringing It Together
- Programming Tips #12 - Arguments
- Game Development Tutorial
- The Man in the Icon Mask - The Ol' Switcheroo
- The Man in the Icon Mask - The Seamy Side of Icon Editing
- The Man in the Icon Mask - Pickin' and Grinnin'
- The parent_type Variable
- All Rectangles are Squares
- Take Control!
- Functional Specifications
- Simple Pixel Movement
- DM Programming Tutorial (Part I)
- DM Programming Tutorial (Part II)
- DM Programming Tutorial (Part III)
- Your First Isometric World
- Second HUD: BYOND's newest feature demystified
- Using Scores and Medals in Your Game
- Dream Tutor - What Good is the Browser?
- Dream Tutor - usr Unfriendly
- Dream Tutor - The Pitfalls of Savefiles
- Dream Tutor - Green Programming
- Dream Tutor - Learn to Love Associative Lists
- Dream Tutor - Do You Hear What I Hear?
- Dream Tutor - Bulletproof Code
- Dream Tutor - Datums Are Our Friends
- Dream Tutor - For the Math of It
- Dream Tutor - All Together Now
- Dream Tutor - The Other Mystery Meat
- Making Skins in BYOND 4.0 - Lesson 1
- Making Skins in BYOND 4.0 - Lesson 2
- Making Skins in BYOND 4.0 - Lesson 3
- Making Skins in BYOND 4.0 - Lesson 4
- Undocumented: matrix()
- Under the hood: Appearances and you
- Build your own conquest game
- Movement and Loops
- Screen Objects and Code Tree Reorganization
- Icon states, Savefiles, and DMCGI
- Advanced DMCGI
- Idea Breeding - Fun with Corpses
- Idea Breeding - The Compleat Salesman
- Idea Breeding - The Water of Life
- Idea Breeding - Goin' Solo... Together
Super Saiyan X
- Saving the world Part 1: Getting to know savefiles
- Saving the world Part 2: Are we there yet?
- Snippet Sunday #1: Overlays and the neglected FLOAT_LAYER
- Snippet Sunday #2: Learning to love the map editor.
- Snippet Sunday #3: It's not a damn database!
- Snippet "Sunday" #4: The scheduler owns your soul
- Snippet Sunday #5: All about that /image
- Snippet Sunday #6: "Why is my code slow?"
- Snippet Sunday #7: Code Interfaces
- Snippet Sunday #8: The observer pattern
- Snippet Sunday #9: Stretch to fit? More like blur to shit.
- Bit Flags
- Programming & Designing Browser Interfaces: Part One
- Programming & Designing Browser Interfaces: Part Two
- Programming & Designing Browser Interfaces: Part Three
- ZBT - Action/RPGs
- ZBT - Strategy/Board Games
- ZBT - Text MUDs
- The New Book - Chapter 1
- The New Book - Chapter 2 (Part I)
- The New Book - Chapter 2 (Part II)
- Z-Tips - Helpful Help Files
- Z-Tips - Numbers on the Map
- Z-Tips - Buttons in Statpanels