ID:329579

Why does it seem like a good deal of the posts on the forum are like, from 2009, 2003, etc? It's annoying to see game posts that look new until you read the date it was posted. And then people are leaving comments on them as if the guy who made the thread back 5 or 6 years ago is still looking for responses. End this madness!
Are you proposing we teach the general public how to read dates?
In response to Stephen001 (#1)
Stephen001 wrote:

Now you are just talking crazy talk.
Stephen001 wrote:

Insanity.
I have a strategy for this, but people who cannot read dates won't like me. They possibly don't like me as it is, so all is well. I shall simply delete their posts unless they add significant content to the topic or revive a topic that happens to be of communal interest for discussion again.

Sound good?
Personally, I don't think any of the bumps which involve a random user commenting on a game should be shown in the "Game Updates" section. It should be devoted only to recent posts made by users trying to inform people about progress they're making on their games, not filled with hubs that have randomly been commented on. Currently, that entire section is a mess filled with useless posts.
Definitely one to take to Tom. Aside from Game Updates, does this kind of issue affect any other categories? I know Tom has made comment about the quality of stuff going around on the forums currently, so it's all up for review as far as our strategy goes.
Stephen001 wrote:

You're right. I forgot what website I was on for a moment there.

But yeah, Yut summed it up. Basically, I can comment on some ancient 2001 game no one cares about, and then it jumps all the way to the top of the "Game Updates" list and clutters everything up. Reading classes might be beneficial, but it might be cheaper to just use that delete button of yours. :)
One option is to sort by post date instead of thread date. Would this be a better default in general, or only better for the game updates?
I think that they should be filtered by date, however recent posts which are receiving comments should still be shown on the front to appeal to people so that they aren't shoved off of the front the instant another user makes a post. Another way of doing this could be showing posts you haven't read on top above all the posts that you have read. I also think that the only posts that should be shown in "Game Updates" are new posts on a game's hub made by the hub's owner(s). That way, trivial things like new hubs being created and random comments on old games are filtered out.
Game updates only show posts by hub owners/helpers. However, existing posts do bump on all comments. It'd probably be better not to bump those posts at all.
That's what I meant.
go to a forum where posts get deleted in less than a month
In response to Stephen001 (#6)
Stephen001 wrote:
Definitely one to take to Tom. Aside from Game Updates, does this kind of issue affect any other categories? I know Tom has made comment about the quality of stuff going around on the forums currently, so it's all up for review as far as our strategy goes.

Off-Topic. Definitely Off-Topic. The contents of that forum are maddening scary. It's almost like every single post in there requires extensive moderation.

Although granted it will get better once people stop reviving posts and start adding new ones. If a few decent topics start up to drown out the revived babble, we'll be doing pretty well.
My plan is to have the hub crossposts only show the initial post (not the comments); you can still make replies but will have to do so by clicking on a link that leads to that hub's forum. This will prevent bumping and not force the mods to cleanup game spam.
Make me a moderator for those sections and every post will have (almost) perfect grammar and spelling and a little note at the bottom: "This post has been edited to not suck. - Hiro TDK"