ID:33189

Keywords: design, inspiration
Foomer sends this link to a thorough analysis of a pretty popular game:

The puzzle structure of Ocarina of Time
http://www.garethrees.org/2004/12/01/ocarina-of-time/

Foomer's description:

"A fascinating discussion on how dungeons in zelda are laid out in a way that they can always be completed, and more. For anyone who makes or plays games like Zelda, Metroid or Chip's Challenge, this would be an interesting article to read."
I think Chip's Challenge allowed it so you could fail a dungeon by using a key wrong... :|
Yeah, They do. I don't remember which levels though.
Yeah that's exactly why anyone who makes levels for it should read that article. :P
Chip's Challenge was a little different in that it was designed for the level to be restarted if you got stuck or killed. Some levels were designed to be frustrating that way.

But in an RPG or adventure, there's no question that good puzzle design is a big deal.
Gughunter wrote: "A fascinating discussion on how dungeons in zelda are laid out in a way that they can always be completed"

Not only can you always complete them, but in many places you can complete areas even without the items that are supposedly "required."

I had a save file on mine in which I tried to see how few items I could beat the game with. If you are crafty, you can get through many areas by improvising with other items. For example, there is a "back way" into the fire temple that lets you bypass the bridge normally used to get in; you have to jump off the cliff and land on a rock lower and towards the center, then use the hook to pull yourself around. I don't remember everything you were "supposed to" have for the water temple, but I do recall that I made heavy use of the iron boots, quickly and repeatedly taking them off and putting them on to "swim" however I pleased, and I didn't have the blue tunic.

That save file is currently stuck at the fire temple as adult-Link. I found it exceedingly difficult to get through without the red tunic and with only 3 red hearts and only a couple bottles. I might have to go get another bottle; one more fairy might be enough to get through it.

I seem to recall getting to the fire temple as child-Link as well, but I think there were indestructible boulders blocking the entrance.

I'll have to get that back out now and look into it again.