ID:33349

Keywords: software
It's finally here: BYOND 4.0 is available for public beta testing. This release represents a significant upgrade to the user interface capabilities of BYOND, allowing developers and players to customize the look and feel of games like never before. We think you'll like it.

Major improvements include:
  • Skins, or customized interfaces for games.
  • Icons are 32-bit with full alpha transparency. The new DMI format is based on PNG, and can be edited in any external image editor that preserves PNG comments.
  • JPEG and GIF formats are now supported, including import of GIF animations.
  • New hosting controls for Dream Daemon (Windows version), including bans and flexible private hosting.
  • OpenGL is used for map drawing on any machine that supports it.
  • Because OpenGL can scale the map, world.view can be much larger now.

Note: this is beta software. Back up your files before proceeding. Don't say we didn't warn you!

Download/Notes: BYOND 400.951

Please post thorough bug reports in the Bug Reports forum, and general discussion in the comments here.

For developers who want to work with skins but don't know where to start, the first part of a tutorial series has been posted at Dream Makers.

Huge thanks to everyone in the beta test group! We couldn't have done it without you.
YES! Finally I get the official version rather than getting POd at trying to make the leaked version work, lol

And first comment!
Mike deleted my first post. :(
Great work!
*Tear*
I pronounce August 2nd (3rd for those past Central time) to be expiry date for BYOND Procrastination. Too bad I can't make the Around The Corner ™ © 2003-2007 joke anymore.
I wonder how long it would take to download it if everyone downloaded it at the same time...

Happy new year? Oh wait. It's just 4.0.
Congrats to Tom, Lummox, Darke, Mike, Ron, Gug, Mouse, and Nadrew!

Now when is 5.0 coming out for god's sake?
Real Soon Now.
Woohoo! Now to just figure all this new stuff out!

Great job, guys! I can't wait to see how this changes all BYOND games in general.
im sorry but i have to ask i have downloaded 4.0 and i have to know is there a way to get around the screen thing? i have to constantly stretch and minimize and do weird things ive never had to do befor! it looks awesome and i want to keep 4.0 i dont want to go back to 3.5 but i think i might have to if i cant get past this part

~edit~ not to mention the excess of lag might be the fact my computer is so old might be a problem with the program not sure but i dont like it
Adding macros for it, is weird :@
Yeah, and there is no Macro Mode anymore... at least not that I have found...
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:

Probably fewer congratulations are due to me than to the guys who actually worked on it -- but thanks anyway! :)
Huge thanks to everyone in the beta test group! We couldn't have done it without you.

You are totally welcome. If and when I fly over to the US for some reason. We'll have to go out for a beer. (Although it'd be easier if you came here, I can legally drink at a bar here.)
Lummox JR wrote:
Real Soon Now.

New trade mark of BYOND. "Real Soon Now.™"
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
Now when is 5.0 coming out for god's sake?

Tom did casually mention that now that 4.0 is out, they don't have to work on several different versions at once anymore, so making more updates should be easier. Of course, now that everyone's all burned out, that probably won't happen anyway.

don't like the new macros system, is there any way to make it stop looking for button macros when the input bar is the focus? My game relies on players pressing the buttons on the keyboard (without holding ALT or anything else) but at the same time if they wanted to chat they could hit return and enter a "say mode" . Now I can't do that, if I decide to use the "A" button for a control it seems that nobody will be able to use the letter "A" in their conversations. Is there a way around this without resorting to holding ALT-SHIFT-CTRL?

EDIT - Scratch that, I just decided to set a macro for return to call the chat command. Now my question is if we can color popup boxes, lol...
The Naked Ninja wrote:
EDIT - Scratch that, I just decided to set a macro for return to call the chat command. Now my question is if we can color popup boxes, lol...

If you pop them up yourself you can. Popping up custom browser and other interface windows should give you most of the functionality you want.
Gughunter wrote:
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:

Probably fewer congratulations are due to me than to the guys who actually worked on it -- but thanks anyway! :)

Well, you definitely had a hand in keeping BYOND going, so I'd say congrats should go to you.
And speaking of, I knew I'd forget someone, I just didn't think it would be Crispy! Congrats, Crispy: you had one of the hardest jobs I can think of: BYOND tech support!
Page: 1 2