ID:34819

I read that thread today, and I thought I'd give my thoughts on it.

As opposed to what has been said, there IS a workaround to keep control of your game against mischeivious hosts: the implementation of an activation/approval system, code-wise. And it's quite simple, too...

Just have a global flag saved in a file (along with other variables) that states whether this server is approved or not. When it is not approved, everyone but certain keys are allowed to enter the game and approve it. And when a host becomes a nuisance, just disable his server.

Just make sure your admin savefiles are not too obvious, so people won't use that against you.

So yeah, it's nothing too complicated, really. And that, combined with a verification system using world.host will give an owner complete control over hosts.

And about this "privacy infrigement" question, here's my opinion: if someone wants to host my game, it's on MY terms, to which he agrees. You don't see MS being sued around because they brick pirate versions of Vista here and there, do you? The same principle applies here.
How're you meant to go into his server and disapprove it if you're banned from it? =P You need to use external means of verifying a server- by accessing a text file on a webhost, for instance.

One way to shut a world down whilst it's being hosted is to use cross-world communication with world.export and such.

With MS you're not actually buying a copy of Windows when you fork out however many hundreds of quid for it- you're buying a license to use the software. With things like linux that's different- you own your personal copy of the linux distribution you downloaded. I have no idea how that'd compare with BYOND games though... the less red tape the better.
I don't feel much for the game creators in this instance, but I'd just use a subscription list on the hub.

Elation wrote:
How're you meant to go into his server and disapprove it if you're banned from it? =P You need to use external means of verifying a server- by accessing a text file on a webhost, for instance.

Easy one: hard-code. I could be banned from it, but if you design it so some keys, even thought they're banned, can still have access to an activation menu, then you're all set.

And in the event that they pager-banned your key, then have a specific key to that effect. Make it so that key only accesses the menu itself.

In the event in which you're IP-banned, do it from somewhere else! :)

There are always ways to get the job done. It's all a matter of creativity.

One way to shut a world down whilst it's being hosted is to use cross-world communication with world.export and such.

Yeah, that's a good way to get it done too!

With MS you're not actually buying a copy of Windows when you fork out however many hundreds of quid for it- you're buying a license to use the software. With things like linux that's different- you own your personal copy of the linux distribution you downloaded. I have no idea how that'd compare with BYOND games though... the less red tape the better.

My parallel might not have been the best one, but the principle remains the same: if I get someone to host a game, it has to be on my terms, and I want to be sure to have means to enforce this.

But then again, everyone's free to use whatever "business model" they want. I just prefer this one. But then again, I don't plan on distributing my game on a wide-scale basis. I just want to avoid the host to distribute it. So yeah, it's just a deterrant.