ID:365607

BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 10.0.2
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Whenever I minimize my client window for, uh... roughly 3+ minutes (if I had to guess), the map will freeze and about 3-4 secs later, a window will appear telling me that BYOND has encountered an unexpected error and must close, then immediately closes when I press OK.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Minimize the client for an extended period of time then attempt to reopen it.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime.
In other games? Not sure. I only play one (Duel Monsters Genesis). When I get the time, I will try to test this on another BYOND game to ensure the problem can be isolated to the actual software instead of the game itself. I apologize in advance for any inconveniences this may cause, but I've been too busy lately to even play Duel Monsters Genesis. However, I can tell you that this is still a problem even with the current BYOND version.
In other user accounts? Not sure. I only use my main.
On other computers? Not sure. I only use one.

When does the problem NOT occur? Never.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) I can't really remember when, but I think this first started happening around the last "big" BYOND update (4.3 maybe?).

Workarounds: None known to me.

Razeth wrote:
When I get the time, I will try to test this on another BYOND game to ensure it can be isolated to the actual software instead of the game itself. I apologize in advance for any inconveniences this may cause.

Don't stress mate, plenty of us 'round here to take a look.

--

I logged into the most populated server of the game you linked, but I didn't attempt to make further progress than that.

From the actual software standpoint, I can confirm that DS can stay hidden for much longer than three minutes. Having left many-a-DS instances running in the background for hours at a time without an issue (just yesterday, in fact). Duel Monsters Genesis, The Saloon and Icon Ultima all remain perfectly functional after +-ten minutes hidden (length of my test -- Hours, even days for the latter two games).

The only difference in the provided specs is operating system, where I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Right. I'm going to leave a few games running overnight and see what becomes of them tomorrow. Expect an update sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Since you're on XP Pro, one helpful thing you can do is provide crash details via Dr. Watson. There's info about using the tool at these two links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538

The first one tells you how to enable it (short version: just go to Start | Run... and type "drwtsn32 -i") and the second link tells you where the log file is.

The log file is broken up into chunks with data about each crash--some of these chunks are quite long, and will include multiple stack traces, etc. Searching for "Application exception occurred:" should give you a good way to find the beginning of a section. Our concern will be with the crash you had in Dream Seeker, and everything in that section. The crash is likely to be in dreamseeker.exe itself, byondcore.dll, or byondwin.dll.

If you're not sure which piece of the log to paste into a message here, you can always email me any logs at [email protected], though please include information about the bug report (like the ID of this post) in the email so I'll know which report you're referring to.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'