ID:36950

Keywords: design, inspiration
This is the original blurb from BYONDscape. I have nothing new to add! -- Gughunter

I've been cleaning my house all day today, and in the process I dug up a pretty nifty blast from the past: a "play-by-mail" game I created for my high school friends back in 1987! The turns were processed on my Commodore 64. A while ago I figured that whenever I finally found all this stuff, I'd save it for eventual implementation as a DDT game; but considering that we already have enough ideas to keep us busy for a few years, and that there's no reason why we couldn't still go ahead and implement this if we ever want to, I think it'll be fun to post it on BYONDscape.

The artwork is courtesy of J.J. Meyer and Keith Thaxton, both of whom I've sadly lost touch with since high school. The manual's writing has all the irritatingly pedantic style you've come to expect from the Gughunter of 2003, and you even get to see a glimpse of my 17-year-old handwriting on the last page of the manual. But wait, I haven't mentioned the best part: it turns out that I saved not only the manual but also a printout of the Commodore BASIC source code! If you take just a moment to look it over, I can almost guarantee that you will instantly gain enlightenment about why "object-oriented programming" (the "node tree" in DM) is a good thing... not to mention the benefits of DM's forced indentation.

Click here for Page 1.
Really makes you appreciate BYOND heh.
Is that code deliberately obfuscated, or is Commodore BASIC really that confusing?

I don't remember QBASIC being that nasty. <_<
I pretty much grew up with Commodore BASIC - my parents had an old C64 that I used to get out when I was about 9 and try and program on. I think I managed to get about as far as basic sprites, but I lost interest eventually.
Jp wrote:
Is that code deliberately obfuscated, or is Commodore BASIC really that confusing?

You left out option 3: unintentionally obfuscated! I have a lot more respect for whitespace in code nowadays...