ID:38061

I prefer them combined, but if I only had one, it would be roll-playing. Honestly, I can't quite bring myself to refer to roleplaying games as anything more than glorified chat engines.
Both is best, but you can still do quite a bit with just a glorified chat engine if it allows you to carry items around and explore stuff. I find games that let you visit a shop, buy some supplies, and go exploring the world in search of other people's treasure (another nice perk that comes with permadeath) can be very enjoyable. :) And all the more so if, after an escapade, you can come back to the old tavern (or hut, ghetto hangout, space station, etc...) and relate it to the other players.
I was really feeling for the author of this article but I started to notice a horrifying amount of intellectual snobbery coming forward on one of the pages. As of page 4, I'm being trained on ridiculous rules like "don't barge into conversations". Why not? You'd be surprised at how many people barge into conversations in real life; if anything, I would suggest that anyone attempting to be a good roleplayer should actively attempt to barge into conversations whenever possible!

It does bring up a good roleplaying rule that I didn't touch into in my list of roleplaying Do's and Don'ts, however: pose order. I do that instinctively, waiting for the right time to speak; you'd be surprised how often I wind up deleting a fully-typed sentence in a roleplay environment just because the situation has changed enough to make it no longer appropriate to say. But I know a lot of people have problems with it in even a small group context.
I definitely take my roleplaying light. Stay in character, no OOC information IC, and so on, but I'm not a good enough or quick enough writer to get into all that serious posing.
Flick wrote:
I definitely take my roleplaying light. Stay in character, no OOC information IC, and so on, but I'm not a good enough or quick enough writer to get into all that serious posing.

As long as you're not bragging about your stats or killing things just to enhance them, its all good.