ID:38544

Keywords: instruments
I downloaded Audacity about a month ago, but wasn't able to do much with it because of my lack of experience in audio. However, I was recently looking through some samples, seeking a good pipe organ, and didn't see exactly what I wanted, but found some things close to what I wanted.

What happened next was a break through for me. I accidentally opened the sample (one note) in audacity, and was able to view the wave form for that one note. Using the "generate tone" command to generate a second or so of square waves, I then was able to use the "envelope" tool to make a wave form that was a compromise between several of the samples I had found.

With that success, I've turned to making samples like those you might find on the NES or other pre-32bit era consoles. First, I find a .wav sample I like (of a violin, for instance) and examine the wave form. Then, I generate either a square wave or a "triangle" wave, and then use the envelope editing tool to reproduce that wave form.

I've had a lot of success with this technique, and as soon as I get some time I'll post some images. In the meantime, try downloading Audacity and examining various instrument samples that can be downloaded for free.
Not to mention you can change the pitch of them in Aud, too (but, I imagine, you don't need to in order to use them in a mod tracker).

Edit: Iain, I don't know if you know, but, the Audiophile forums are invisible to Default users.
Yeah, I meant to mention the forums when I joined. I get the message "Error: No forums available." *shrug* =)
Edit: Iain, I don't know if you know, but, the Audiophile forums are invisible to Default users.

Odd. I think I've fixed that, but someone else will have to let me know. That would explain the lack of activity.
I see six forums now. =)