ID:39112

Keywords: links, miscellaneous
[Gughunter: This BYONDscape Classic post by Wizkidd0123 has so many nifty links that I decided to invoke Editorial Privilege and re-post it. I've even checked all the links and removed the bad ones, so what you see below is the cream of the crop.]

In the past couple weeks, I've had a lot of people (some of whom I don't even know!) ask me questions about HTML. I'm sure all of us would benefit from the HTML tutorials at htmldog. A little-known fact about htmldog, is that in addition to numerous and detailed HTML tutorials, they have documentation on CSS too! A must-read for the entire BYOND Community.

Since BYOND has started (Or rather, DUNG, as it was called in the beginning), many beginners have had trouble with Saving and Loading characters. Recently, at least in the "Newbie Central" section of the Developer Forums, there's been a huge amount of trouble regarding savefiles, so therefore, in attempt to alleviate this trouble, I bring you 2 wonderful sources:

The first source, BYOND Basic Savefiles, has been on BYOND for ages, but has generally gone unnoticed. Please, if you haven't yet, take the time to read it, and you will be enlightened on the entire topic of savefiles.

The second source, Deadron's Character Handling Library, is to this day one of the most, and possibly THE most commonly-used library on BYOND.

A couple days ago, Kujila found an awesome comic strip-making site. No, really, it's cooler than it sounds! Anyway, since he didn't want to submit it to BYONDscape, I am. A bunch of developers have already made comic strips, including Xooxer, Volte, and HavenMaster.

For the next Literary Salon, I've found an amazing resource: Project Gutenberg. Named after the famous Gutenberg Bible, Project Gutenberg is dedicated to collecting every last bit of public domain literature and storing it on its server. To my knowledge, it contains more than any other online collection of public domain literature. Enjoy!

I just found the coolest thing ever!! The Way Back Machine. You see, what it does is, it shows you old versions of websites. It's sometimes very funny to see where today's big websites came from. Some prominent examples of this are Gamefaqs, Yahoo, and most importantly, DUNG (Dantom's Universal Network Game; the old name for BYOND).

Although at first glance, DUNG is just funny, it's actually very interesting to see where BYOND came from. In this window through BYOND's history, we can see The DUNG Forums and DUNG Demos, but most interestingly, perhaps, we can view ancient copies of DUNG Release Notes.

Who knew that before input() came prompt(); before embedded text, things like this:
usr << text("\U hits %n for %num.",Target,Damage)
? A text() proc?!? One can truly see how far BYOND has come.

"waitfor{}

When a proc calls a "sleeping" function (like sleep, prompt, pay, etc.) execution normally returns immediately to the caller. However, if the caller uses waitfor, he can sleep along with the proc he is calling (and execution will return to his caller)."

Very Odd.
It's the anti-spawn()!
BYOND has come a long way. Instead of:

usr << text("\U hits %n for %num.",Target,Damage)

We use:

usr << text("[] hits [] for [].",usr.name,Target,Damage)