Space Station 13

by Exadv1
Space Station 13
Stay alive inside Space Station 13
thanks for the help audeuro, your the man ;)
No problem. I tried to add captions. Just hollar if you want something else changed.
Originality doesn't mean a thing here, Masterdan. The graphics also don't have to be good in order for the game to be playable. We're not in the business of commercial quality games. The HUD is functional, and most of us don't care how ugly the entire game is. We just play. However, with the rest of this, I have to agree with you. Well, except for the experiments thing. Since... no one really does them, they find excuses to screw around or 'accidentally' kill someone.

And the illnesses are mostly for roleplay purposes. Of course the average player doesn't use them, but every now and then a player chooses to have to use glasses or something else.
Correct, and i dont think graphics or originality make a game either to be honest. I do think that the game falls below a graphic threshold for tolerable as a low graphic game though, to the point where it actually does impact gameplay. Just a little more effort would go a long way.
I can't believe someone finally agrees with me about SS13. I never understood why it was always regarded as a great game.
Aud, if you want those screenshots to show up at the top as an "official" screenshot (where eventually we can also show them on the hub entry itself), you should edit the post and put them in as attached files. (That would basically mean downloading first, then re-uploading them through the file attachment box.)
Masterdan wrote:
Correct, and i dont think graphics or originality make a game either to be honest. I do think that the game falls below a graphic threshold for tolerable as a low graphic game though, to the point where it actually does impact gameplay. Just a little more effort would go a long way.

Neither Darke Dungeon nor Stolen Lands have visuals much better then SS13, yet they're some of the best games in the category. >_>
Darke Dungeon's icons are far, far superior to anything in SS13, so that's just pure hogwash. They are in some ways still a little primitive, at least where Foomer's icons aren't in use, but the two games are in different leagues when it comes to graphics quality.
Although SS13's graphics may not be good as others have said it doesn't make the game bad and you have agreed and I will admit the gameplay isn't great and the system is hard to get used to at first but if you only play a handful of times and give up before you take the time to actually play with some veteran players who know how to play and RP I must stress the RP part. There are plenty of newbies out there who come on and can't RP. Besides the point of that I really don't see why you so harshly rated the game it has plenty to do and anyone can find something that they like. The graphics are bearable the system is bearable and if you get the right people to play and the right server you'll have a great playing experience.
I agree the graphics alone don't make the game bad. However Masterdan has some valid points about the gameplay. First of all, if the game is only really playable with the "right" people then clearly the author didn't design the game well enough to incentivize better behavior. The kludgy interface issues also can't really be downplayed. In fact with the possible exception of the griefer problem (which was mostly absent early on, and now is apparently huge), it seems SS13 has evolved not one bit in terms of gameplay or visual appeal since the early test version I visited.
On second thought about those screenshots, I'd actually recommend going with the original size but cropping out the non-map stuff. The chat on the side really adds nothing but bad language to the shot.
I also agree that the game could use some updating but as far as I know the creator has disappeared. Also, the game could use an in-depth tutorial for the newbie players along with a very in-depth guide on how to do your job and avoid any unwanted behavior such as griefing. As for me I'm not a veteran player per say I only played for a few months before the overrun of n00bs. If the guides were made I believe the lot of you who would actually take the time to read them and learn how to play would change your views on the game. It just takes time to actually see how great of a potential this game has.
That's not exactly the same as an in-depth guide for new players. It still doesn't give players an idea of what to do once they're in the game.
The first time I played SS13, I was still learning the controls when someone walked up to me, tasered me, and tied me up.

The second time I played SS13, I walked into a room and went to pick something up, and a man came up behind me, tasered me, and told me I was stealing. I was tied up throughout the entire game.

The third time I played it, the game started and I was walking to a lab when someone walked up to me and force fed me a pill that killed me.

I'm sure the game has some fantastic points.
But I can't find them.

I don't want to have to get lucky to be able to play a game.
The fact that someone can randomly kill/disable you for the rest of the game would suggest "crazy fun" exists only for griefers. At least in Spacetug even if some clueless idiot blew the airlock every 2 minutes the rounds were relatively short, and you'd still have an occasional round where you didn't get killed in the opening seconds and could explore a little bit.
Lummox JR wrote:
The fact that someone can randomly kill/disable you for the rest of the game would suggest "crazy fun" exists only for griefers. At least in Spacetug even if some clueless idiot blew the airlock every 2 minutes the rounds were relatively short, and you'd still have an occasional round where you didn't get killed in the opening seconds and could explore a little bit.

You do realize that you can use the "abandon mob" command on nearly every server to come back to life as a new character, right?
I was not aware of that, but it doesn't really change the fact that any progress you make is easily ruined by griefers.
abandon mob doesnt work. It only works if you die and half the time they dont kill you, they weld you into a locker or tie you up or throw you in jail. And then your stuck for the whole round.
The abandon mob does work if the admins leave it on and if the person doesn't kill you then you can succumb to death by typing .succumb of course you have to be in the red on your health meter.
Page: 1 2 3 4