Keywords: sound, tutorial
1. Music--what's the point?
2. Learning Visually
3. What's a piano roll?
4. Getting Started
5. Scales
6. Application

Music--what's the point?

Music is often neglected in low-budget games because it is perceived to be a luxury in the eyes of game designers. After all, music is just the icing on the cake, right? There's no reason to waste valuable time or money on music when graphics and game play are obviously more important. Besides, well thought-out, original music can't possibly increase the playability of a game. It's only there to give players something to listen to other than the sound of their magic missiles, swords, and semi-automatics, right?

Right?

Wrong. Music can dramatically increase the playability of your game. Music has a direct impact on the mood of a game. Fast paced music will put the player at the edge of his seat as he pilots a fighter craft through an asteroid field. Well orchestrated music with soaring melodies will prepare the player and his party for their epic adventure! Dark, ambient music will make the player move cautiously through Hell's labyrinth, dreading the outcome of every corner.

But it takes a professional to invoke these kinds of feelings through music, doesn't it? Those guys can be expensive! It's a good thing you're going to learn to grow your own music, then!

It's doesn't take expert knowledge of music theory and composition. All you need is to know some basics and get creative. I know the terms can be daunting, but we're going to learn visually. That's right, we're not even going to get into technical terms at all. I promise.

Learning Visually

Musicians like to talk a lot of jargon because it can be easier to communicate ideas that way. This doesn't help when you are trying to learn the basics though. The jargon just gets in the way. You might think, "How the crap do those guys learn anything at first? I don't know what the heck a minor third is!" It seems impossible learn to create music without a teacher. The simple truth is that most musicians learn visually, at least at first. Learning about the relationship between notes is much easier when you play an instrument because you can see where each note lies. So how can you learn to write music without an instrument?

You have an instrument! It's on your computer, or at least it will be after you go download it. Anvil Studio is an excellent software suite for composing music. It is free, and it has everything you need to get started. It even has a piano roll.

What's a piano roll?

A piano roll is what we are going to use write music, duh. But why use a piano roll when there are a number of other ways to write music? The piano roll allows you place notes visually. You can see the notes and visualize what they will sound like without any knowledge of music. You don't have to use Anvil Studio to benefit from this article, but you will need to use a piano roll.

A piano roll is a method of representing music. It is somewhat like a graph, where the x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents various pitches.

Getting started

We're going to kick things off by creating a scale. Shoot, is that a technical term? I mean we're going kick things off by creating a group of notes--a sound pallet if you will. Why do we need a scale? A scale contains a group of notes that you work from to create your music. The scale is your pallet, the piano roll is you canvas, got it?

Good. Now open up your music maker and go to the piano roll. Here's how to get there in Anvil Studio.

Click "View" from the menu and select "Piano Roll Editor."

Ok, your screen should look like this:

Before we go any further, let's learn how to place notes. First, let's select our note duration. This is how long the note sustains. To edit a note's duration, simply click the right edge of the note and drag it.

Click the note drop down and select 1/16. What does this mean? If you look, there are 16 squares between each dark vertical grid line on the piano roll. We'll call the area between each dark line a "bar". 1/16 represents the amount of time the note takes up in the bar. 1/16 is one square, 1/8th is two, 1/4 is four, and so on. A whole note occupies the entire bar.

To place a note, click the area on the piano roll where you would like a note. If you click a note again, it will be erased. Let's place a note on C4. This is the note we are going to build our scale off from.

Scales

I mentioned earlier that scales are a group of notes. I didn't explain that the group of notes are in a sequence. We're going to define the sequence now.
It is: 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1.
Each number represents the distance between two notes of the scale.

Count two squares up and one square right from the first note and place a note there. This is the 2nd note of the scale. Now count two squares up and one square to the right from the second note.

If you continue the pattern, your piano roll should look like this. You could then start the pattern over at c5, since the scale starts over once it reaches the original note.

OK. So now we have a scale, what do we with it? We write a melody of course. Most modern music is derived from this scale, so you should be have plenty to experiment with. Start on any note in the scale and start making movements. Often, the best sounding melodies only rise or fall 2 or 3 notes (of the scale) at a time.

Application

Listen

Take this melody for instance. The only place where the melody skips over more than 2 notes of the scale is the jump from the first to the second note. The less a melody jumps around, the more 'singable' it is. The more 'singable' it is, the more it sticks. Of course, large jumps in notes can sound neat too. To give your song a more "random" sound, try larger intervals.

Listen

This doesn't sound bad, and often this can be the desired effect. But the melody seems to have no direction. It's only real structure is that it is based in a scale we just created. Other than that, it sounds "lost." If you wanted to use this as a theme song, good luck.

A good, singable, melody needs direction. You should be able to listen to it once or twice and find yourself whistling it the rest of the day. Practice writing some catchy melodies and we'll talk about adding more instruments next time.
I think a better reason that music is often neglected in low budget games is because most people have no musical talent whatsoever and aren't going to pay someone to do it because it's a low budget game.
After playing around with it, I managed to come up with this. Goofing around has never been more-so fun for me. :o
To add on to Pop's message, Another reason, particularly in Amateur development such as BYOND, is that it quadruples the size of your game when you add sound effects, and more if you want music. That, or use terribly sounding midi tunes, sorry they aren't for me :p
Popisfizzy wrote:
I think a better reason that music is often neglected in low budget games is because most people have no musical talent whatsoever and aren't going to pay someone to do it because it's a low budget game.

"But it takes a professional to invoke these kinds of feelings through music, doesn't it? Those guys can be expensive! It's a good thing you're going to learn to grow your own music, then!"

Stock music can actually be pretty cheap. Making it yourself is even cheaper. If you don't have talent, then I suppose you're out of luck, but it's really not that hard.

I've tried to make music before. The stuff I've made can only fit well into a game that's supposed to be full of crap.

I prefer remixing other music to making it myself, it's alot easier and ends up giving better results if done correctly.

I know how music can change the feel of a game, I own about 6 CDs full of Game Music myself, and hum tracks from Super Paper Mario, Castlevania, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl almost every day.. The fact isn't that we don't think it's important, it's the fact that it's too much trouble for a mediocre amount of change. BYOND games can't have huge orchestrated pieces like console or commercial PC games, we can only have stuff like .WAVs and .MIDIs.(BYOND can do .WMAs and whatnot but they make games have extremely long load times.)
I agree music adds something to games. I also like piano roll edit, but how can they say anvil is "freeware"? The site says you can only record and edit a single 1 minute audio track with the free version. I don't like general midi at all, so I like to stick with audio. I've been working with psycle which is free and open source, but composition is *not* graphical. But if you know a bit about playing piano, then you can adapt yourself to playing 2 octaves of notes on a qwerty keyboard. So it's more of an audio process, you try hitting different notes until it sounds ok, then click record and position the cursor at the beat position and press the key again to capture it. What is shown is hexadecimal but you get used to that after a while. You can dub notes in realtime too. I like to make virtual instruments with synthedit. It's shareware, but you can use the free unreg version to make your own. It only makes sense to reg if you are selling instruments and effects to others.

Mech: WAV is not compressed. Byond can handle ogg so I would go in that direction for audio tracks.
For any guitarists, I suggest using PowerTab to write the music and then exporting as a MIDI.
If anybody here is interested in developing music, hop on over to the Audiophiles guild. We'll be more than happy to help you out and give you CC on your pieces.

Okay, I'm going to address a few comments made in this thread, because this mentality is why BYOND games lack in the music department.

File size. I don't want to hear it. IF you insist on audio, most music loops can be fairly short. You can use OGG files of 5 to 10 seconds in length and loop them. This will be fine for most in-game music. MOD files are an excellent alternative to audio files. They allow you to store the samples within the song file and reuse them.

it's the fact that it's too much trouble for a mediocre amount of change.

The point of my article is that it's not a mediocre amount of change. Music should not be passed off as a non-integral part of game design.

Developers who can't afford to buy graphics usually make them on their own, even at the cost of major suckage. Music is no different. Developers should treat music the same way they treat graphics. It is OK to use stock music if you are afraid to make it yourself. Just avoid copyright issues. The same thing applies to graphics. If you want to load your game up with RPG Maker graphics, that's fine. RPG Maker comes with stock music too.

My next article will discuss intervals and how they sound, and give an introduction to harmony. I will also put together a list of some free resources to help you write music, as well as an index of websites that have royalty-free music for free or very cheap.
That's not entirely what I said, I said that BYOND can't handle the orchestrated pieces that make the big games so great. Anything that can be used in BYOND well won't cause much change, only .midis I've ever memorized are ones I either remixed myself or are midi versions of MP3 game music. .midis just don't make that much of a difference, sure you can spend weeks or months on a great .midi track, but it takes months/years to make the huge selection of soundtracks needed in a almost-finished BYOND game. That wastes alot of time that could be put into what actually counts- Coding. It's not the sound or even the graphics that make a game, it's the gameplay. There's plenty of games that have fallen down the pit of great music, horrible game.

If you don't have a musically talented friend or a big budget and/or team, you're not really going to be able to do it without making the game worse on the whole.
I liked this article so much I wrote a supplement for it. Here's a Python script to help you figure out the timing of your notes. Each time you press a key you get a readout of time elapsed since the last note was pressed. You can use this to figure out whether you need quarter notes, half notes, or whatever...

from msvcrt import *
import time
import sys

basetime = time.clock()
lasttime = 0

ch = 0
while ch != 'x':
____if kbhit():
________ch = getch()
________print ch, int((time.clock() - lasttime) * 100)
________lasttime = time.clock()

Mechana2412 wrote:
That wastes alot of time that could be put into what actually counts- Coding. It's not the sound or even the graphics that make a game, it's the gameplay.

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with you about whether or not music is more important than game play when you clearly disagree with the whole point of my article. I am heavily biased as I consider myself more musician than programmer, and you are obviously heavily biased in game play.

That's not entirely what I said, I said that BYOND can't handle the orchestrated pieces that make the big games so great... .midis just don't make that much of a difference

But I will completely disagree with you on this. The quality of the sound samples used in music has very little to do with the feeling the music creates.

When I was a wee lad, long before I learned to play any instrument or develop any sense of musicianship, I played a game. This game was called Super Mario Bros for the NES. This game has possibly the most memorable theme song for a video game known to man. It is a perfect example of how music affects game play. Whenever I got to the castle level, I would get scared to death. I got so nervous that I always ended up falling into a pit of lava and dying. I found out that if I turned the volume off on the TV, I had no problem beating the level. Was it because of the game play? No. Was it because of the graphics? No. The music, made up of simple bleeps and boops, scared the crap out of me.

You can continue to disagree with me about whether or not it is possible to put good music in a low budget game, but I am going to prove, through this column, that creating music capable of controlling emotions is not only easy, but rewarding and fun.
Just to put this out there: I think music and sound effects are both incredibly important to games, as they are key in providing any sort of atmosphere whatsoever.
Mechana2412
If you don't have a musically talented friend or a big budget and/or team, you're not really going to be able to do it without making the game worse on the whole.

I think the point of this article was to make you the musically talented friend.

That wastes a lot of time that could be put into what actually counts- Coding.

I'm sorry, but that is a very naive statement. I'm not sure if you have ever played a game, especially a first person shooter, without the sound, but there is a major difference. Try it some time. Does walking around that corner still make you fell nervous? Or better yet, try watching a movie only with the subtitles. Much more boring, isn't it? And yes I do know that may not be the best example because you won't hear the voices and blah blah blah.

There are some games that are playable without sound, but there are very few of these, and they are mostly limited to puzzles. For example, you don't need music while doing Sudoku.
I think its funny that as I read this I'm running Towers of Brahma in the background so I can listen to the classical background music.

I should also mention that I still think your best bet is to convince one of your musically inclined friends that they like your game and want to write music for it. :)

That said, I've attempted to make my own music in the past and have found that it is definitely not one of my talents.

I will say, although it doesn't really help the article any, that if you can't get music that really enhances the feel of the game, then you're better off focusing your efforts and filesize on sound effects. OGG sound effects can be fairly small and if the music isn't all that great, often times people will turn it off and listen to their own. At that point, any effort you put into the music will be wasted.

However, people playing their own background music can still enjoy the game's sound effects perfectly well.

[Edit] Another thing I'd like to mention is that I was playing some Zelda Classic adventures and I've noticed that the music can really make or break the adventure. Given that most of the music used in remixed versions of existing Zelda music, so its more readily accessible - still, when I encounter a Zelda adventure that's playing Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger music in the background, it totally ruins the atmosphere for me. So I must say that stealing music from classic RPGs is about the worst thing you can do.
This is definitely one of the most cool articles I've ever read on BYOND. I realize it's old news now, but this is the first time I've noticed it.