ID:410042

About the Project:

Name: Kingdoms
(I might change the name due to similarity to Ginseng's incoming game, but that uncertain)

A simple name for a game with simple concept. Living in a medieval world, with a few fantasy points here and there; but very few. It's a Role Play game that I have been wanting to start a few months ago; but I can't do that by myself. I don't know anything about programming or iconning, but I can become the core of the project, leading it's way as it attempts to reach it's success.

Also, it's a non-profitable project. I'm doing this only because I love the concept of role playing in a deep and concise world, with players creating the plots, roles and everything else. It's a medieval world where all players must compete in order to find their own place. There are no shining sword or hammers of the size of a tower; there are no warriors that can withstand for hours before the punchs of a troll; no commoners that suddenly conjures a fireball and ruins down the castle of a great king. The world is also a bit realistic, giving more emphasis to the Role Play part than o the RPG one; if you know what I'm saying. However, the RPG feeling still exists, since this is not just a real life simulator. Players will be able to increase any of their skills, Building, Climbing, Planting, Forging, etc. I plan to create a VERY big list of skills for the players, instead of basing the game only on gaining levels and such. Also, there will be different lists to different classes/professions. At the start of a wipe, the classes will be Traveler and Commoner. Travelers have access to combat, movement and other exclusive skills, while Commoners are more focused on Building, Planting, etc. These are just very raw examples of what's the main point of the thing. As the characters proceed, they will be allowed to achieve certain professions, specializations. Mayors, Guardsmen, Historians, Healers, Mercenaries, Bandits, Sorcerers, etc. Each profession has a set amount of requirements, all very different from one to another.

The game will be based on 'wipes'. Very long wipes. At the start of one, the Gods (players that attend to a specific condition) will determine the spawn of the first living person. The world is huge, so they will have a lot of options. From there, the people start to spread. They won't spread too far, because they need each other in order to survive, but they will eventually dare to risk a few steps on areas of danger. The story of this wipe, the lore, everything is created by the players.

Role Play Level:

This is a way to organize the roles of the characters. Dying is a serious thing. You won't simply respawn after you're dead; you will have to wait for a woman to get pregnant or something of the sort in order to reborn. Or you will be around a necromancer until he revives you into some sort of undead body. Or you will roam through the forests and mountains looking for some spawn of a terrifying creature. Many are the options, each one with a set amount of requirements. Role Play Level is one of them. Assuming that certain players prove to be worthy enough, they might acquire an increase in this Role Play Level. The major changes are:
Role Play Level 1: the one you receive when you start.
Role Play Level 2: you can initiate combat and have access to important, yet not major roles.
Role Play Level 3: you have access to very important roles.
Role Play Level 4: you can be one of the Gods.

Gods are mainly the admins. There will be a few, to the max of 3. However, as admins, they will also have important roles on the world. Their goal is to help the RP to flourish, assuming the character they want. Anything that they wish to perform must be done Icly, unless it involves bug abuse or anything of the sort. They are like the Greek Gods.

Role Play Level 3 is for Kings, Trolls, Orc Leaders, Necromancers, Wizards, etc. There will be very few of them, depending on the size of the wipe. Role Play Level 2 is the roles of people that are part of the community, as they are aware that killing is a very serious issue. It's not hard to get to this place, but very easy to get down. The Gods are always watching; after all, this is their IC role.

Combat:

Only people of RP level 2 or above are allowed to start a combat, but everyone is allowed to defend. Starting a combat means to deem all the reagion around a Field of Battle. Whoever starts a combat will force everyone in a range of 30x30 to enter into state of battle, which will persist until everyone leaves that area or the person that started the battle simply declare it's end.

The combat will be turn-based. I thought it would be impossible in the Byond language, but then I saw that it was possible in a game of the hub. However, I admit it will require a long effort of the Programmers; nothing that a persistent position cannot solve.

The outcome of the battle will not be determined by the level of the characters or anything else. Someone that has played for a long time may die by a new player, if he's not cautious. However, if a player has the skills to use a halberd and heavy armors, he won't die so easily by disarmed commoners, for example. But if he's sleeping, he might die by a kitchen knife. Everything is possible, requiring the players to be more cautious than of a higher level.

Casual Play:

My plan is to forge a game that doesn't force the players to be around at every hour of the day, by adding systems that gives more emphasis to the casual players. However, they will need to organize themselves in order to do their jobs well. A guardsman that can guarantee his watch at the times he's available is more reliable than the guardsman that plays more, but do not always keep his words. This is to be discussed with the related players, in order to not let the village/city without protection. A village that has at least one guard at all times is a well protected village, for example, while the city would require at least 3 or 4, being possible only if the world becomes well populated.

Also, the players will always be there, it doesn't matter if he's online or not. However, he might leave in different states. He might just disconnect, therefore he won't be doing anything, or he can sleep, granting him a few bonuses toward a few of his stats. He also can be reading, granting bonuses for other stats, planting, anything. However, while doing these things, he will be vulnerable; he might be killed, kidnapped, stolen, etc. If he just disconnect, he will be invunerable, requiring no further protection. There would be no problem for a King sleeping inside the castle, or a librarian spends his time reading on the library; it's no easy task to get inside these places. However, it's possible. Also, not everyone will think about killing for just any reason, given that the ways of these events are rather complex; but it's possible. The Gods are always watching in the case of something abusive happens.

Link to the Classified Ad topic: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=306154

This is just the general idea. What do you think?
An administrative question more than a real reply;
Are you looking to advertise for staff members (such as programmers, pixel artists, mapmakers, sound people and so on) here? If so, this will need moving to the Classified Ads section.
The point of this post is more to ask the opinions about this project than advertise for staff members. I was feeling the need to acquire some feedback, telling me anything about it.

There's a similar topic on the Classified Ads section, with one distinction: there's emphasis on recruiting in there. Before posting here, I removed the part explaining about the staff members. Is it still against the rules?
Nope, just wanted to clarify! =] Hope you get plenty of good advice! =]
I haven't ever played a role-playing game before, but the concept seems solid. I like the idea of only a few mythical aspects to an otherwise realistic world. It gives it a sort of lord of the rings feel to it.
I had had a similar idea once, but I abandoned the idea. However, it seems that you have fleshed it out a bit more; it seems pretty nice. Good luck to you.
I might be able to program a lil for you but I think you should find an iconist first before you ask for my help
if you ask for my help