ID:41186

Money has been sent to the hosting provider, Manitu. This weekend I'll scribble an email to them asking to unlock the servers, or atleast tell me if anything is missing, payment-wise. With any luck, we are back online sometime during the week of April 7th.

Heartfelt thanks go out to Thorsten Rental of Pedalkraft and owner of the sexy, yet disfunctional Brise velomobile, for his major contribution. And he's not even a BYONDer! I'm just working on a new version of his website and an inventory system.

Thanks also go out to splattergnome, Lufika, and Harry Wagstaff, for their prompt payments.

I'm still posting the slacker list, but will wait until the servers get back online until putting it out for public consumption.

Stay tuned!
Yes, and consumption shall happen. We shall drink the blood of the heretics, and set an example for future generations! *licks his lips*
Would be nice if the links to http://digitalbyond.net worked - As I was looking for a Dedicated Byond server to pay for a few months in advanced before my game was operational.
Have you changed your prices yet? I'll pay my next year once I know.
Pemalite wrote:
Would be nice if the links to http://digitalbyond.net worked - As I was looking for a Dedicated Byond server to pay for a few months in advanced before my game was operational.

Would be nice if you read the blog posts about this current situation. digitalBYOND is offline due to unpaid subscribers - and that includes the website since it runs on the same server(s). :-p

Check back in a week or so.

Acebloke wrote:
Have you changed your prices yet? I'll pay my next year once I know.

Not yet, but working on it. Probably won't be more than a 1-2 Euro increase at the moment. Still undecided.
Hrm, in terms of setting prices, I would look at how much a server runs and then figure out how many reliable paying subscribers it would carry. Then add 30% (or whatever margin you like. That should give a pretty good baseline. For example, if your server runs $150/month and you expect it to hold 20 payers (who actually pay) that is $7.5 cost per account. A $12/month fee is a mere 37% margin and still very reasonable. Heck, with decent support, $15 would probably work even better as it means every paying account floats a margin of itself. So as long as half your subscribers were paying, you at least cover costs in that scenario (although 50% is still a terrible collection rate on receivables!).
Would be nice if you read the blog posts about this current situation. digitalBYOND is offline due to unpaid subscribers - and that includes the website since it runs on the same server(s). :-p

Check back in a week or so. <

I apologize it was late at night, and I just merely skimmed though it at the time.
But would you accept payments which were yearly sums, and what kind of payments would you consider? (Preferably not over the internet).

And 15 bucks seems reasonable, 15 x 12 = 180 bucks a year, which isn't much here, although I would probably have to take into account the different currencies, and the dollar values.
Don't really think this is the right place to ask this, but, would a DigitalByond server be good for hosting an action game?
W0rmw00d wrote:
..would a DigitalByond server be good for hosting an action game?

only if you lived in Europe. The current servers are located in Germany, so anything beyond Europe would probably experience too much lag to make an action game worthwhile.

I have found a service in the US, but have not had the time to look into starting up a contract with them, with my up-coming cycle trip (http://byond.com/members/digitalmouse) plans.