ID:418074

Keywords: paidads
Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I noticed a section on the forum which is very well ... empty.

I suggest possibly putting game ads on this location (like you used to) at a fee of course.. what do you guys think?

$1 a week or something like that..

A bit like this http://web.archive.org/web/20030621121317/http://byond.com/

Anyway I made a picture.. obviously it would slide to the next ad if there is one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Could also have the possibility to list Contests in this location..
We have google ads there for non-members. But I might end up losing those and just compacting the site because they don't really bring in enough money for me to be happy with the irritation factor.
Hmm this is more of a promoting my game / contest kind of thing to have a highlighted section worth paying for which would bring more traffic to the game and so on ..

It may or may not bring in money and may just be a waste of time . I thought it was good idea though :)
Could be worth toying with, we'd run the risk of advertising games that don't really make BYOND's standard of quality look very high though, as like $1 a week is cheap even by anime-fangame 'owner' standards.
We definitely need that featured games box or something similar back again. That was one of the few things that made the site look modern.
I would like to draw attention to this post - http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=454131&page=2#comment1539916

Specifically

Tom -
"generating shared income for us"

Now I am not saying that this system would bring large amounts of money but it may I have 3 clients that have purchased servers for the sole purpose of hosting "Dragon Universe" (not a fan game). Allowing these clients to advertise the game or server in a box like above will surely bring more money than expected.

To sum it down the past week I have had 5 new clients purchase servers for this game two of them paying for the whole yearly amount of $120 AUD.

Obviously it's up to Tom just putting it as a suggestion.

Maybe suggestions should have a section on the forum I feel bad for putting in requests it makes it seem that I want it and I want it now...
Uh, just to be clear; I have no idea what Tom's opinion on this is, or Lummox, or if there's an 'official BYOND opinion' on it, but Dragon Universe being on the front-page of the site and in advertising boxes is a real good way to earn ourselves so-so or bad press, and bounced/backcharged credit cards.
I was using that game as an example as it has a huge player base ...

Try NEStalgia then ... use that in my example ... ... ... Your reply has just ... made me remember how stupid people are...
See my above post about advertising games that are dodgy or draw us bad press. I'm happy with something like NEStalgia, Regressia, Casual Quest etc being plastered everywhere on the web.

The problem is that games that suck in lots of server-host deals and content-purchasing revenue tend to be those dodgy games in the first place.
This isn't something YOU should be happy with..

This is a way for BYOND to bring more money in.

You MAY have an opinion if anyone takes notice then that is a different story.

While you have valid points I hardly doubt a game that has the spotlight for a week will put a damper on the community ...

Its a tiny box up the top and if it shows something you don't like .. don't click it? simple?
Again, re-read my post. It won't be bringing money in if the majority of customers are borrowing daddy's credit-card to buy things that he will then want recovered - this is why BYOND Dimes stopped, BYOND losing moeny through charge-backs.
And a game as traditionally unstable as most [tentatively ex-]anime games are in terms of community and leadership isn't going to do us any favours.

Would you mind posting some figures on what you make out of some other games, which weren't previously anime games and where the average community age is a bit higher? :P
I think it would be better if related games tab was more important. It'd be cool if it replaced the small place in the right which shows most of the time the latest posts (which isn't always useful at all, because they take time to get updated when you just commented), if we could choose related games with the same tags, imagine this -> Select related games, your game has been tagged with the following tags, these are our suggested games, now select the games which will appear in your HUB... It's sad because we always see the same games in related tabs, and we can't do anything at all, it doesn't do much either, though.
In response to Deathguard
Deathguard wrote:
Again, re-read my post. It won't be bringing money in if the majority of customers are borrowing daddy's credit-card to buy things that he will then want recovered - this is why BYOND Dimes stopped, BYOND losing moeny through charge-backs.
And a game as traditionally unstable as most [tentatively ex-]anime games are in terms of community and leadership isn't going to do us any favours.

Would you mind posting some figures on what you make out of some other games, which weren't previously anime games and where the average community age is a bit higher? :P

This is YOUR opinion and charge backs may or may not happen.

I am not at liberty to discuss my sales with you.
Chargebacks will happen though, and they're devastating to BYOND's income. BYONDimes were removed for exactly that reason and you'd be amazed at how many Memberships end up with chargebacks.
Don't you think BYOND should put something in place for this .. in the TOS or T&C's to prevent something like this?
BYOND already does all it can to combat it. The people who cause them are generally banned on sight, that's about all the protection you can get from charge-backs. The people violate the ToS by causing it so they get banned, that's the extent of punishment without paying a fortune to go after the person legally.
Once a chargeback has occurred, they've cost BYOND money, and the fact it's in the ToS that you probably shouldn't cost BYOND money doesn't mean that once they've done it, it magically doesn't affect BYOND;
Punishing them or refusing further transactions from that card stops them doing it again. It doesn't recoup BYOND's loss from the transaction.
They've been a problem since BYOND first had buyable content like memberships or BYONDimes, and are the reason that system was phased out as Nadrew said.
In response to Deathguard
Deathguard wrote:

BYOND has always had a stigma that most of the games developed for it are created and maintained by a younger audience, most importantly the Anime genre. You'll find a decent gem now and again, but since the engine and tools are free, and hosting is as easy as just using DreamDaemon on your computer, there isn't a lot of give or take here.

Except of course, being checked for review before it goes into the hub, but the only guidelines are that the material needs to be original. On a financial outlook, these games probably generate more money than others, ironically.

On the other hand, BYOND is a great engine. I really hope more developers will put more effort into creating material not based on an anime, or a previously designed brand name (and/or spinoffs of a brand name).