ID:42902

Keywords: random
It is the strangest thing to me. I know for a fact that I just woke up from a weird dream yet I couldn't remember what happened... Anyone else do this? Or do you have a weird dream to share with us?
Whether you remember or not is based on what stage of the REM cycle you're in when you're awakened, if you're barely into it (such as when you're just going to sleep or during your natural waking process) you tend to forget more easily because the dream is just a soft imagine on the front of your mind.

If you're deep into the cycle the dream is more ingrained into your conscious and unconscious, which gives it a pretty direct route into your short term memory. That's also why the deeper you sleep the more realistic dreams become, they have more to feed on.

It's also why you get crazy dreams during semi-awake or light sleep, they're just random bits of information collected from your memory as it gets converted to longterm, so the results are usually pretty wacky.

But you have to remember, people still know jackcrap about what dreams really are, we only know when they occur and the parts of the brain they activate (which turns out to be most of the parts we use).
99% of the time you do not remember your dreams, even if you remember it the second you wake up, chances are 2 minutes later you will completely forget it.
Wow, thanks for the info, I knew alot of it, but couldn't remember why you get crazy dreams with light sleep... of course the other sucky side effect of light sleep to me is feeling like I am falling out of bed.
Nadrew wrote:
Whether you remember or not is based on what stage of the REM cycle you're in when you're awakened, if you're barely into it (such as when you're just going to sleep or during your natural waking process) you tend to forget more easily because the dream is just a soft imagine on the front of your mind.

If you're deep into the cycle the dream is more ingrained into your conscious and unconscious, which gives it a pretty direct route into your short term memory. That's also why the deeper you sleep the more realistic dreams become, they have more to feed on.

It's also why you get crazy dreams during semi-awake or light sleep, they're just random bits of information collected from your memory as it gets converted to longterm, so the results are usually pretty wacky.

But you have to remember, people still know jackcrap about what dreams really are, we only know when they occur and the parts of the brain they activate (which turns out to be most of the parts we use).

Cavern wrote:
99% of the time you do not remember your dreams, even if you remember it the second you wake up, chances are 2 minutes later you will completely forget it.

Funny, I can remember a multitude of dreams from when I was a young kid.
Himari wrote:
Cavern wrote:

Funny, I can remember a multitude of dreams from when I was a young kid.

Likewise. I remember most dreams I have. There's a few instances, though, in which the second I wake up from a dream (especially lately), I can't remember anything that took place in that dream. I can only remember how I felt. It's rather annoying.
Oddly enough this post somewhat reminds me of the latest episode of House. He had a head injury and lost memory and went through hypnosis and various drug use to try to tap into remembering something he needed to know.