ID:446349

Keywords: cache, sound
Not a bug
BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 17.0.963.56
Applies to:Cache

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Sound files seem to only be cached as either .mid or .wav in the cache folder, even if the file was a different type. This means module files, .ogg, .wma, etc are all forced to be .mid or .wav. They become unplayable once this happens.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
  1. Play a .mid or .wav file.
  2. Look in your cache. It will be the correct file type and be playable.
  3. Play a sound file that isn't .mid or .wav.
  4. The file extension will be forced to either be .mid or .wav.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
n/a

Expected Results:
Non-midi/wave files are cached with the correct file extension.

Actual Results:
They're not.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Any game that plays sound.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never, it always occurs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
This has been an issue as far back as 355.

Workarounds:
Changing the file extension by hand will fix the file, though since the file names are usually akin to "9ekgrgsg.mid" you have to keep changing the extension until you get the original one.
Unplayable how, exactly? To my knowledge DS should be able to play the files okay, so if you're referring to just double-clicking on them from within the cache dir that would be a non-issue.
Ah, yeah I meant from within the cache with something like Windows Media Player or Winamp. I didn't try playing them with Dream Seeker from the cache.

Edit: Playing cached items within Dream Seeker works for me.
Okay, this isn't a bug then. The files in the cache aren't really intended for direct use, unless they're put there by browse_rsc() in which case they have a proper name.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)