ID:44993

Guys, quick. Macbook Pro vs Dell XPS M1530

I've been a Windows guy my whole life and I'm heading to college in the fall. Everyone I've been talking to has been saying Mac is the way to go. There biggest reason is that I won't get viruses or ads...but I never really have a problem with that on Windows. I need some mac lova's help.

Also, price doesn't factor into it, this is a graduation gift.
If you're getting a laptop, I highly suggest you do not get a dell. Sony and Toshiba offer much better alternatives.
yeah dells kind of suck. i'm getting a macbook pro for college. so if you get one, we can totally chat on skype <3
Dell all the way, especially when price doesn't matter and you're going with the XPS line.
I wouldn't get a mac. My mom has one(Mac book Pro), and it's really no different than a Windows laptop(as long as it has XP, not Vista). only Mac whores like macs. If I were you, I would go get a nice Toshiba model, mainly because I don't like anything Sony touches.
Vexonater wrote:
If you're getting a laptop, I highly suggest you do not get a dell. Sony and Toshiba offer much better alternatives.

What vexon said. Dell is terrible for most anything, as I can see with my parents computers. My mother bought a dell laptop and a desktop, and they're both terrible. I would personally choose the mac in this case, but if you're given the option, get a toshiba :D
Neither. But if you must the Mac.
I'd recommend not getting a Dell, but I'd highly not recommend getting a Mac. I have a Dell laptop and it overheats VERY quickly.

If you don't want viruses or ads, install a security suite and use the latest version of whatever browser suits you. It's better to require some extra protection than remove a lot of functionality.

I'm not a hardware whiz, but if the XPS is what I think it is then I might recommend that. Aren't the XPS series some of the top-ranking laptops performance-wise?
I have a dell laptop, it doesn't really overheat. The older models do though, the only real problem Dell has is their faulty accessories that come with it. I don't really have an argument for the mac, because I'm probably never gonna buy one.
Dell uses cheap parts, that's their flaw, I suggest a Toshiba if that's an option, but never Mac.
Miran94 wrote:
Dell uses cheap parts, that's their flaw...

I'd have to disagree with you there. I have Dells (XPS) that are 12 years old that still work like a charm. My web/mail/svn/all-around server is a Dell Optiplex that has been running 24/7 for 5 years without a problem (and it's a refurb!).

I own and run a [admittedly small] computer repair business. I've only done about 30 jobs since October, so perhaps my experience isn't the best, but it is something. Of all the Dell "repairs" I've done, everything has been in software (viruses and malware, user screwed something up, etc), whereas the majority of Compaq/HP and Gateway repairs I do are on a hardware level. This is because Dell -does not- use cheap parts, as opposed to the other common brands.

I'm not saying Toshiba and Sony aren't good, but they don't have as big of a market share as some of the other guys, and they stick to a very high end market. I've been to hell and back with Dells, and I can attest to their XPS line.

Just my two cents.
Airjoe wrote:
Miran94 wrote:
Dell uses cheap parts, that's their flaw...

I'd have to disagree with you there. I have Dells (XPS) that are 12 years old that still work like a charm. My web/mail/svn/all-around server is a Dell Optiplex that has been running 24/7 for 5 years without a problem (and it's a refurb!).

I own and run a [admittedly small] computer repair business. I've only done about 30 jobs since October, so perhaps my experience isn't the best, but it is something. Of all the Dell "repairs" I've done, everything has been in software (viruses and malware, user screwed something up, etc), whereas the majority of Compaq/HP and Gateway repairs I do are on a hardware level. This is because Dell -does not- use cheap parts, as opposed to the other common brands.

I'm not saying Toshiba and Sony aren't good, but they don't have as big of a market share as some of the other guys, and they stick to a very high end market. I've been to hell and back with Dells, and I can attest to their XPS line.

Just my two cents.

Dell does indeed use cheap parts. However, they usually use cheap parts from trusted brands, thus their low rate of failure. However, I highly doubt a hard drive would run for 12 years, even 5 years is pushing it. By then, the thermal paste is sure to degrade, too. Not to mention the power supply's aging can affect voltages.
SpikeNeedle wrote:
However, I highly doubt a hard drive would run for 12 years, even 5 years is pushing it. By then, the thermal paste is sure to degrade, too. Not to mention the power supply's aging can affect voltages.

All I can do is tell you my experience, it's your choice not to trust me. The computer is 12 years old, with it's original 10ish GB hard drive. I have two of this model, and both run fine, though I cannot attest to the age of the hard drive in the second one, as I only received it about 2 years ago.

My server has also been running with the same hard drive for 5 years, and it's been running 24/7.