ID:46837

Keywords: miscellaneous
During my week in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula I discovered these odd, possibly blasphemous, glyphs. Tonight I wrote a simple BYOND program to display them.

I'll be happy to share the program with anyone who wants it -- but first one of you has to figure out exactly where I found these disturbing things! Post your answer in the comments.

[update, from comments] HINT 1: The glyphs aren't unique to the Upper Peninsula... they can be found in many places, if you know where to look.

[update 2] The riddle is solved! See comments for the answer. Here's the code to create your own: http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/files/2008%2Dmisc/ enneaglyphs_src.zip

I see nothing :o
If the image doesn't display you can download it from here: http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/files/2008%2Dmisc/ glyphs.png
He means that he can't see anything out of those glyphs. >_>
Did you find them in the primitive land that is Canada?
Europe :D
Fiborn Krast?
During my week in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula I discovered these odd, possibly blasphemous, glyphs

During my week in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula

Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula

HMM...
The glyphs aren't unique to the Upper Peninsula... they can be found in many places, if you know where to look.
Woah, when my eyes started blurring a bit, it looked like a skull with an X >_>
North Afica? possibly Egypt?
You saw them in Delta County at the base of a 140 foot limestone cliff on Big Bay De Noc of Lake Michigan? That's my best guess. =d
I myself have two answers and they are: France or Greece?
Maybe some sort of Word Fonts?
The glyphs are permutations of the numbers 1-9, but so far I can't discern any particular pattern to them. They're not magic squares, at least. I'm not sure if there's any relationship to the blank spaces.

Given that this is laid out on a 9x9 grid, at a guess I'd say this is related to sudoku.
Lummox JR wrote:
The glyphs are permutations of the numbers 1-9, but so far I can't discern any particular pattern to them. They're not magic squares, at least. I'm not sure if there's any relationship to the blank spaces.

Given that this is laid out on a 9x9 grid, at a guess I'd say this is related to sudoku.

I have another guess. It's an ancient Canadian game of sudoku!

Or it's an ancient Japanese form of sudoku?
Lummox JR is the winner! Each glyph was created by drawing a path through the numbers 1 through 9, in order, in one box of a completed Sudoku puzzle.

Congratulations, Lummox! Your prize is... that now you have something mildly entertaining to do after you've completed a Sudoku puzzle. (Actually it's a pretty decent way to check your solution without turning to the back of the book and doing a tedious comparison. If each box contains the numbers 1 through 9, you probably got the right answer.)
Gughunter wrote:
Lummox JR is the winner! Each glyph was created by drawing a path through the numbers 1 through 9, in order, in one box of a completed Sudoku puzzle.

Congratulations, Lummox! Your prize is... that now you have something mildly entertaining to do after you've completed a Sudoku puzzle. (Actually it's a pretty decent way to check your solution without turning to the back of the book and doing a tedious comparison. If each box contains the numbers 1 through 9, you probably got the right answer.)

Can I have the Hostfiles/Source of this Program, I definately Want to give it a go. Maybe you can update the Article with the Link?

SubZeroChaos

Can I have the Hostfiles/Source of this Program, I definately Want to give it a go. Maybe you can update the Article with the Link?

No problem! I'll put it up tonight. Be aware, though, that this doesn't create Sudoku puzzles; it just lets you enter a string of numbers from a Sudoku box (e.g., 528973614) and draws the appropriate icon. Still, there are probably lots of ways this could be used in a game.
Here's the source code! Use it however you like. Enjoy!

http://www.byond.com/members/DreamMakers/files/2008%2Dmisc/ enneaglyphs_src.zip