ID:476860

Keywords: bling, cuban, reward
Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
One of the problems this site has(in my opinion) is that not enough quality games are being published or completed. I think an easy fix for this is to offer a simple reward to the top games of that year. No let me take that back, not a simple reward, but an ACTUAL reward. Something along the lines of a $1000 reward for whatever game or developer had the most successful game in that entire year.

I understand BYOND is not the most successful website but in an entire year, I'm sure they should be able to save up $1000 or more. What I think this will do is: raise competition, push developers to actually finish games, and maybe provide that extra kick and motivation for the developers to actually get things done.

Not only is this beneficial for the developers but for the website itself, as the games pile up so will the money BYOND will be making from it and so will the audience and traffic it will get. There are countless of REALLY good developers that are adept in the DM language, but they dont do anything, they just sit around lurking in the forums. I'm sure with an extra $1000 in your pocket things might change, because now your hobby and your passion will actually turn up something. Which is just a PLUS. BYOND provides (in my opinion) a BEAUTIFUL language, easy, quick, and great for multiplayer. A language where you can make as it has been proven(Nestalgia), LEGIT, professional market games. I think this really needs to be exploited more.

Not sure if this should be in feature request, but just something I think Tom should really take into consideration.
Quality != Success on BYOND. If anything, the opposite seems true.
So, I'm not sure what you would base this award on.
$1000?
What? Do you want Lummox JR to starve?
I see it as an investment they would have to make on their product.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Quality != Success on BYOND. If anything, the opposite seems true.
So, I'm not sure what you would base this award on.

I don't know if you missed the entire post. Try reading it again.
In response to Cubanbling
Cubanbling wrote:
Cubanbling wrote:
Something along the lines of a $1000 reward for whatever game or developer had the most successful game in that entire year.

So, you want to hand the reward to the scam of a Zeta rip? Or the pathetically low quality, ridiculously unprofessional Space Station RP? Because those are currently the most "successful" games listed on BYOND.
In response to Falacy
That all depends on what you consider "successful".
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
That all depends on what you consider "successful".
They have the most active players, at all times, by a decent amount. They are also the most "popular" games, which is really just another way to measure player counts.

That was my point, which Cuban said was answered in the initial post; What are you going to base this award on?
Where this magical money coming from?

Sure they can "save" money but why would they bother ...
A.T.H.K wrote:
Where this magical money coming from?
According to my unfounded calculations, BYOND makes like $100k a year. Sparing $1,000 shouldn't be a big deal.

Sure they can "save" money but why would they bother ...
To inspire devs to make games that are actually GOOD, since there is a lack of those on BYOND.
They could probably just hold this as some 1 month contest, heavily advertised to outsiders, and get better results than anything currently available on BYOND lol
100k a year where are those statistics coming from?

Have you taken out the server costs. more than likely those are monthly.

Have you taken out wages for any paid employees?

Does Tom have another Job or is it just all BYOND? if so he should also have a wage.

Does Tom have a family? kids cost money and so does internet access a telephone "cable" as you Americans call it ..

Pretty sure Tom would eat to :)

And Taxes .. those damn taxes!

Not trying to be an ass or anything but 100k a year isn't much if you look at it that way.

Oh and don't forget someone has to feed Dan ....
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
100k a year where are those statistics coming from?
I said they were unfounded =P

Have you taken out the server costs. more than likely those are monthly.
This should only amount to a few hundred dollars per month, at most.

Have you taken out wages for any paid employees?
Considering what BYOND is, income = wages, so that's not really relevant. However, their only paid employee is Lummox, as far as I know, unless you want to include Tom. Tom once said he pays Lummox a respectable programmers salary. IMO, that means at least $40k per year just for Lummox, then double that for Tom (possibly even double that for both of them). The amount of money that goes into supporting the actual services is minuscule compared to that. That is more than enough money that they shouldn't have trouble supporting things, as they somehow seem to. Especially since they don't give anything back to the community that is responsible for making them all of that money in the first place.

lol I don't think anyone around here takes care of feeding him.
$1000 dollars is a lot even if BYOND makes 100k a year or more.

And what is to say that developer wouldn't just spend it on .. well crap for themselves..

I think it's a very good idea, It's not our place to say if it will happen or not.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

$1.000 USD isn't a lot.

In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Cubanbling wrote:
Cubanbling wrote:
Something along the lines of a $1000 reward for whatever game or developer had the most successful game in that entire year.

So, you want to hand the reward to the scam of a Zeta rip? Or the pathetically low quality, ridiculously unprofessional Space Station RP? Because those are currently the most "successful" games listed on BYOND.

I think youre just exaggerating now. Obviously it would have to be an original game. Success can be measured in different ways, it really comes down to Tom or whoever. What I would say is, the original game who gets the most traffic in THAT YEAR, the game who makes the most revenue, game who received the most fans in that year, there are many ways to go by this. In the end, its just an idea.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

And what is to say that developer wouldn't just spend it on .. well crap for themselves..

I think it's a very good idea, It's not our place to say if it will happen or not.

AND like I like said. When you own a company you gotta be willing to make investments on your product, you gotta have trust and take a chance every once in a while, I'm sure they've already taken several, but I REALLY don't think 1k is a lot of money for an entire year, and who cares what the developer spends it on, that's the point, they get thaat extra money for themselves to enjoy and do whatever the hell they want.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

Dan is a college physics professor employee at the University of Wisconsin, with a wife and kids. He also does stuff for the LHC from his position. He can probably feed Tom better than BYOND is currently feeding Tom.
I don't see why this would need to be something officially tied to BYOND. There's nothing stopping you from investing your own money and acting as executive producer to other projects.

Not everyone is a great game developer, not everyone has the necessary skill or determination to bring a game to completion. But some of those people do have money, money which could be used to enable other people to make decent games.

BYOND has plenty of developers, but I don't think it has very many producers.
$1k dollars seems much for this.

Right now I got three projects I'm working on that I have been since back in early 2010 from scratch. 2 are fangames, 1 is original.

The original one I plan to release with tons of features and it's main goal is to, not only become popular, but to get more people on byond to see how good Byond can be.

Basically it's going to be what Sonic Generations is to Sonic2k6. Following what I'm saying?

We just need quality developers and some projects involving many developers to help it. My original game has the concept that we need more than one programmer, more than one iconner, etc etc. So there will be an actual team, not a solo project and not one project where it's like "This guy codes this guy icons this guy maps thats our game".

IMO the reason most projects fail are because they assign one person to each department instead of a multitude of people on those departments such as professional games do. As useless as it seems, we need testers for games.

Open-Betas are good, but it turns lots of people off if they are just gamers that joined to play games. We need games that either constantly update, or are so good that theres no need for such a concept of constant updates.
Spirit Age? this updates constantly.

If they advertise the game correctly they should give BYOND a huge boost.

Game testers (for big companies) are usually given something in return eg Name in credits,mugs, t-shirts etc.

In this case I would suggest testers go in the running for Admin/GM... obviously stripping it once they abuse it.
Page: 1 2