ID:48140

Does Spore's EULA give Spore's creators the rights to any creature/building/etc. you create in the game? It sounds like the editing tools could be great for creating stuff that could be shrunk down into BYOND icons, but I suspect Spore is having none of that.

I tried halfheartedly Googling for an answer, but then I decided this would be a fun topic for BYONDers to discuss (at least for all six of us who take an interest in copyright issues).
I'll have to look when I get home. I suspect that they retain rights to things put online(which is a mostly opt-in process), but you are still the copyright holder, you just agree to give them rights to do stuff with what you post. However, because many of the parts are actually pre-modeled, it is very possible that they retain copyright on those parts(such as hands, mouths, eyes, and other prefab parts) which limits distribution.

This is just speculation, however, because I have yet to look at the EULA. A more interesting possibility, is exporting the 3D models you create into another game, allowing you to use the Spore Creature Creator and other modelers to create pretty much all of your buildings and creatures for a non-Spore game(this as apposed to just taking screenshots).

Another interesting idea is if someone created a "Creature viewer" that would take the data in the spore png files and recreate the creature using public domain/free to use model parts. This would bypass any legal issue with using them, but might create legal issues with possible patents on the save file system of png files.
However, because many of the parts are actually pre-modeled, it is very possible that they retain copyright on those parts

This is what I suspect is the case, which is understandable.

What I have railed against in the past, as a lone man in the desert for all anyone else has cared, are the game engines that let you create something with entirely your own assets, yet claim ownership of anything you create.

"If you do something good," I was told by friends who should know better, "they'll hire you! Anyway, you used their editor!"

First off, I don't need a job, thanks. Second off, you don't own my Great American Novel because I wrote it in Word.

Now excuse me while I go shake my mean-stick at the moon.
I think even if the EULA is worded to allow that sort of thing, basic copyright law says they're SOL if they try to put a claim on somebody's work. The problem is, the fundamentals of copyright law have been twisted around to "Let's protect big money at all costs." I still think Fritz Hollings hanged for treason after all the work he did on Disney's behalf.
b) Spore IP Rights. EA owns all of the right, title and interest in the Spore Creature Creator, the assets included in the Creature Creator for building and animating creatures and for creating backgrounds and video clips, and all derivative works comprised of those assets, including the Spore creatures that you create, animate, and capture in screen shots or video clips using the Spore Creature Creator. You may use only the assets supplied with the Creature Creator to create Spore Creatures. You may not further modify Spore Creatures with any other materials, tools, or software programs. All rights not expressly granted herein, are reserved by EA.

(c) Your Contributions. In exchange for use of the Spore Creature Creator, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Spore Creature Creator give rise to any copyright interest, you hereby grant EA an exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable and sub-licensable worldwide right and license to use your contributions in any way and for any purpose in connection with the Spore Games and related merchandise, including the rights to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions without any further notice or compensation to you of any kind for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions.
They could be used for movie effects, and I really like the BYOND icon idea (a little editing and shrinking and you have yourself an icon!).
Before Guy was providing DDT graphics, I used a free 3D app -- Blender -- to create some basic images for BYOND games.

As a non-artist, it worked quite well and was much more productive than any other approach I could think of to take.
Haha, yea, EA really sucks.
Considering they will probably sustain significant financial loss on spore, you might see them lease out their engines and tools.
Kunark wrote:
Considering they will probably sustain significant financial loss on spore, you might see them lease out their engines and tools.

Personally, I love Spore. I think mainly the hard core gamers that don't care about the creation dislike it.
Personally, I love Spore. I think mainly the hard core gamers that don't care about the creation dislike it.

Which is comprised of the entire gaming market :P

But it's not just that. They also spent way too much time making it which is what really determines whether or not they'll make money.

And yet they probably STILL released it too early. Honestly, it's more like a fancy demo than a game right now.
Not really. Most girls in my school play the Sims, but as far as I know, none are hard core gamers >_>. Nintendo's new market are casual gamers, now, as well. I mean, Spore could have used some more content, but it's still a great game to many people. After I beat it on normal, I plan on beating it on hard.
Kunark wrote:

I heard something about it being the best-selling "digital" game ever, but I didn't know if that referred to downloads or what. Do you have info on the sales?

Shameless plug alert: My current opinion of the game, as far as I've gotten, here.

Bootyboy wrote:
b) Spore IP Rights.
[SNIP]

Yep, about what I expected. Thanks for the data BB!

Deadron wrote:
Before Guy was providing DDT graphics, I used a free 3D app -- Blender -- to create some basic images for BYOND games.

500 - Internal Server Error

=(
Jeff8500 wrote:
Not really. Most girls in my school play the Sims, but as far as I know, none are hard core gamers >_>.

That's because girls are generally controlling to begin with. It's no wonder they play a game where they do nothing but control people and force them to do things they don't want. </sexist>