I started this as a reply to jmurph's recent comment on my post criticizing McCain's sex ed ad, but figured it's worth more visibility.
But first, a thanks to the recent commenters on the political posts here -- people have been thoughtful and I've had my opinion tweaked and refined by the discussion. Only one comment deletion, for a person attempting to perpetuate a stupid myth about Obama (one more instance and said person will be banned).
Now on to the subject of this post. Ann Althouse is a pretty well-known blogger who in 2004 wrote an influential post (near as I can tell, it put her blog on the map) called "How Kerry Lost Me".
Now, her son, an ardent Obama supporter who is still committed to voting for Obama, has posted, "How Obama lost me".
Here are the points he makes -- read his post for his explanations of each:
1. "It's not surprising that they get bitter. They cling to guns or religion or antipathy towards people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment, as a way to explain their frustrations."
2. His answer about "evil" in Rick Warren's Saddleback Forum.
3. Saying he would personally meet with dictators in his first year without preconditions.
4. I think he got a bad rap for supposedly flip-flopping and moving to the center immediately after he clinched the nomination, but his timing and PR could hardly have been worse.
5. The Palin pick seemed to catch them utterly by surprise.
6. Does Obama have a problem with "policy specifics"? Yes and no...
7. As much as I hate to admit it, there's a lot of truth to the "He's all about speeches, not ideas" critique.
8. His take on race has been disappointing.