Well, the Palin reaction was also the result of compressed time frames- had McCain named someone with more time to go, it probably wouldn't have been so hectic. But that's also what his campaign needed. Kind of the cost with the benefit. And I think Hillary Clinton got hit just as hard. And for much longer.

See the news on the McCain campaign suspension? WTF?
On the subject of the same party controlling the Presidency and both houses of Congress: This was the case for '01-'06, and no radically Republican agenda was set. However the reason behind that had a lot to do with the slimness of the majority, the unwillingness of the leadership to exercise it on key issues, corruption (gee, thanks, Ted Stevens), and a President whose inclinations aren't especially partisan nor all that much in line with key aspects of his party's platform like limited spending. Essentially we had a six-year clown show going on. However I very much expect Pelosi and Reid to hammer through pet projects if they get the opportunity to do so with a likeminded President, even though neither of them is a stranger to the big top.
Jmurph wrote:
Well, the Palin reaction was also the result of compressed time frames- had McCain named someone with more time to go, it probably wouldn't have been so hectic.

It wasn't and isn't just hectic -- it's outright lying about her record and it hasn't stopped. First it was bizarre conspiracy theories, now it's constantly repeating debunked items ("she banned books", "she's for teaching creationism in science classes", "she charged rape victims", etc).

And I think Hillary Clinton got hit just as hard.

No way, not during this campaign -- Hillary got no conspiracy theories about who was the mother of Chelsea or anything close to that. Now, in the past she was subjected to such things -- the Vince Foster stuff -- but that was not as part of an election campaign and wasn't taken up the by the press wholesale.

Reading up on that...haven't processed it yet...hope it's not a freaking huge mistake.

Reading up on that...haven't processed it yet...hope it's not a freaking huge mistake.

No, in my opinion, it's genius. He suspended it to do stuff about what many consider to be the most important political issue of the year - the economy.
Bootyboy wrote:
Jeff8500 wrote:

No, in my opinion, it's genius. He suspended it to do stuff about what many consider to be the most important political issue of the year - the economy.

Absolutely brilliant.

I sense large degrees satire in that comment. Look at the big picture: every single piece of media in the US will talk about him suspending his campaign for the economy, and everyone (with a TV or newspaper or radio) will think, "Change comes in several forms, apparently!"
Bootyboy wrote:
It is strange that you would have voted for Bush04 then. Must mean you don't even believe your previous paragraph, eh?

In that case, as I explained in detail, at that time Iraq policy was my single issue and over-ruled everything else. Given how things turned out, from my perspective, I did absolutely the right thing and would not change it.

It is tiring to have you question motives all the time, especially when I've gone so far to document my thinking on these things.
Deadron wrote:
In that case, as I explained in detail, at that time Iraq policy was my single issue and over-ruled everything else. Given how things turned out, from my perspective, I did absolutely the right thing and would not change it.
It is tiring to have you question motives all the time, especially when I've gone so far to document my thinking on these things.

I'm actually just exposing your motives, not questioning them. You specifically pointed out "Pelosi and Reid" chomping at the bit; that is indistiguishable from "Hastert and Frist". You either apply the litmus test equivalently or not at all.

Unless you have a specific issue that McCain supports that Obama doesn't; and it's on the absolute-trump-card issue status like Iraq was for you in 2004... but you don't.

Bootyboy wrote:
What's especially sad is that people >think these topics are relevant. Shame >on you for thinking that. Don't be >outraged by opposing views in the >media if you yourself use equally >irrelevant information in your voting >decisions.

Why would I be outraged? I was simply pointing out that this stuff slings both ways.

Time out time out! 100% untrue... so >untrue... He has taken enough very >unpopular positions with the core GOP >base... won't restate them, you know >what they are.

Huh? Breaking with your party on issues that pander to segments of your senate voter base or to make headlines is exactly what I was talking about. I am not saying it is inherently bad. but hardly principled.

I think that was Cheney, not McCain.

Well, Cheney had cussing issues too. But McCain is pretty notorious for his profanity and temper. The particular f bomb I was referring to was directed towards TX senator Cornyn. (Of course, now their buddies.) On the wife:
Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days. [The Real McCain, PoliPoint Press, 2008.]

Apparently Focus on the Family chairman James Dobson said that he would not vote for John McCain if McCain were the Republican party's candidate for the presidency. Among Dobson's reasons? McCain "has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language." Guess what Dobson says now?

But how about his policy. If you >disagree with a whole lot of his >policies, why would you conclude that >he makes reasoned decisions?

Because I have learned that people often come to different conclusions and I have yet to see anyone who mirrored my opinions 100%. I respect a willingness to listen to others and like to see intellectual curiosity. "Gut" decision makers are okay in a pinch, but rarely very good if they are unwilling to adjust to new information.

I wonder if McCain just committed political suicide. I suspect the average voter will just hear campaign suspended and not really care why. This will likely look weak and play into the same stuff that was killing the Dems. If he continues with the plan to pull his ads, I expect a massacre.

It's a very risky gambit and, I think, a step of desperation given Obama's rising numbers and strength on the current economic issues. I think it will probably backfire if he continues down this path. I can't help but wonder if there isn't something else going on. Maybe money problems?

Or maybe just a stunt and he will (wisely) pull back from it and keep his campaign on.
Bootyboy wrote:
I'm actually just exposing your motives, not questioning them.

Bullshit. Keep up that attitude and you are banned from this blog.

I have gone to great lengths to present my point of view, and the reasoning for my point of view, honestly. It's fine to criticize what I say; it's not acceptable to pretend you know what I think.

Everyone else manages to discuss the ideas, you can manage it too, or you can bloviate elsewhere.

[Edit]
On reviewing the policy specified in this post, and given your history of this crap, you are now the second person ever banned from this blog.

Almost without exception, everyone else, no matter how much they disagree with me, has managed to engage in civil discussion on this blog and to debate ideas rather than engage in character assassination.

So that is that.
Page: 1 2