ID:48954

Keywords: politics

Dewey Defeats Truman!

Because, you know, the opinions of 30 people are a good indication of what the entire country thinks.
Granted the camera is cutting off part of the panel so I can't see all the hands, but it looks like the numbers are pretty close for this tiny straw poll. It does appear more people raised a hand for Biden, but the margin is not significant like she says.
No! TWO PEOPLE IS AN OVERWHELMING MARGIN! heh.
Vexonater wrote:
Because, you know, the opinions of 30 people are a good indication of what the entire country thinks.

It's not about the numbers, it's about the reporter's interpretation of the numbers. They get roughly the same number of hands, and she calls it "overwhelming" for Biden.

Means nothing, nothing, I'm sure about bias in the media!

If I meant it to be about the numbers, I would have used this...

Deadron wrote:
Vexonater wrote:

It's not about the numbers, it's about the reporter's interpretation of the numbers. They get roughly the same number of hands, and she calls it "overwhelming" for Biden.

Means nothing, nothing, I'm sure about bias in the media!

If I meant it to be about the numbers Wanted to use the only snap poll on the subject that actually agrees with what I believe, I would have used this...
http://mediacurves.com/Politics/J7029-VPDebate/Index.html is a bit less Biased than Luntz, but hey, as long as it disagrees with what YOU believe, it must be biased eh?
Heh, that Luntz clip is hilarious. Not only is it a show by a GOP strategist, it is sponsored by Anheuser-Busch Cos.- the source of Cindy McCain's wealth and a primary bankroller of John McCain (he even worked as a company publicist)! But their "random sampling" showed Palin clearly won. Who would of thunk it?

Most of the more credible reports show this to be consistent with the opinions of Republican supporters but not Democrats or independent and undecided voters.
Jmurph wrote:
Heh, that Luntz clip is hilarious. Not only is it a show by a GOP strategist, it is sponsored by Anheuser-Busch Cos.- the source of Cindy McCain's wealth and a primary bankroller of John McCain (he even worked as a company publicist)! But their "random sampling" showed Palin clearly won. Who would of thunk it?

Most of the more credible reports show this to be consistent with the opinions of Republican supporters but not Democrats or independent and undecided voters.

Shh, if it agrees with the Neo-con's view of the debate, it MUST be right!
Jmurph wrote:
Heh, that Luntz clip is hilarious. Not only is it a show by a GOP strategist

I don't take any of those little focus groups as particularly meaningful, but I will mention that my partner works in polling and electoral statistics, on the Democratic side, and he has a lot of respect for Luntz.

People who work in that business (which the reporter does not, but Luntz does, and you can see some of the differences in how they question their respective audiences) have a non-partisan reason to try and be accurate: They are publicly embarrassed if their predictions turn out to be incorrect, which makes it harder for them to get work.

To repeat myself, though, for the sake of Venom: I wasn't trying to represent anything about the debate or who will win the election, I was pointing out one of the more blatant cases of a reporter misreporting, possibly based on bias (other things she's said would tend to point in that direction).

Imagine if you'd been reading her report on this, and couldn't see the actual hands, and she reported an overwhelming result for Biden...would be easy to accept at face value, wouldn't it?
Oh, I am not trying to degrade Luntz- it's just that clip was funny because of all those factors. The CNN one was just sad.
Gotta love Fixed--- wait, Fox news.