ID:505666

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The reply tree as it currently is:

Topic/Original Post
+Direct Reply
-+REPLY
--+Reply
+Direct Reply
-+REPLY
--+Reply
--+Reply
-+REPLY

I think each node should have a button to expand/collapse its own string of replies.
This wouldn't particularly work, seeing as the replies are in chronological order, not grouped into replies. I for one don't want that to change.
In response to Kumorii
This reply is aimed at your reply.
In response to Kaiochao
This reply is aimed at my reply to your reply.
In response to Kaiochao
And so is this one. That's what the "In response to Kaiochao (#2)" means.
But this is in response to the original post
In response to Kumorii
And this is in response to Kumorii's response
If you were to minimize Kumorii's response tree, it would minimize this post, but not the one directly before it, leaving an awkwardly floating post.
In response to Falacy
^ This is what I was trying to say.
Thank you, Falacy.
You can't minimize direct replies; only replies to those first level replies. The simple solution is to also have 2nd level replies under 1st level replies, instead of all chronological, since you can just collapse that branch if you dont want to see it.

In my original post I showed a topic in the old forum format. I would now like to make clear I'm proposing to go back to that format, now with collapse/expand buttons.
Now that the forum doesn't look like a tree people aren't going to bother replying to the proper post most of the time. Even if this was possible, you'd need people to reply to the correct posts for it to be useful.

I agree that the old format was better. I'm not sure why they changed it, but for a forum with a lot of garbage posts, it was certainly better.
Not sure what you're talking about. I don't see a tree, the thread looks like a normal forum thread.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
Now that the forum doesn't look like a tree people aren't going to bother replying to the proper post most of the time.
Posts themselves never looked like a tree (which could have been a viable middle-ground). The public topic list looking like a tree was a horrendous bit of spam.

Even if this was possible, you'd need people to reply to the correct posts for it to be useful.
People weren't guaranteed to reply to the actual post, even in the old forum layout, and if the new quoting system was put to proper use, there shouldn't be much of an issue to begin with.

I'm not sure why they changed it
For the reason Leptoon mentioned, so that the forums would look "normal".

but for a forum with a lot of garbage posts, it was certainly better.
Were you browsing the forums 1 post at a time?
In response to Falacy
I always viewed the forum in the default view; one post at a time with the tree of posts the bottom of the page.
In response to Leptoon
Leptoon wrote:
Not sure what you're talking about. I don't see a tree, the thread looks like a normal forum thread.

You don't see the tree because it isn't presented that way anymore. However, the information is still there to make this suggestion possible.

This post is directed toward Leptoon's post, as it says above my name. However, it is placed under my other reply, which was kind of directed toward Falacy. That's what I don't like, because I was more used to the old forum's format.
We have the info available to reinstate the thread view at some point. It's just a bit of work to properly handle the read/unread display since the later posts are not necessarily the unread ones in such a view.
If the the tree view is re-added, will it be mandatory or an option to use it? Personally I prefer how the forums are now, and would hate to see them get changed again.
In response to LordAndrew
It was optional before, so it probably would be in the future.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
It was optional before, so it probably would be in the future.

They should have just changed those default forum settings, instead of doing this massive overhaul that really just accomplished the same look/functionality, but cost the community of half of its features in the process.
I'd like to see this implamented. And I'd like to thank Kaiochao for showing me this topic.