ID:50597

So sure, I haven't been active in the BYOND community recently, but it doesn't mean I've completely left it! I'm posting here today because I don't think it would be too great to let this membership and blog space go to a waste. I've been terribly busy for the past month or so. I'm in grade 12 now (or Senior, for you Americans), so I'm busy working on applications for American schools (MIT being one of them).

Ultimatum is still being hosted every weekend (when I am at home, at least), and some attentive members probably found out that I made a very small update for version 0.8.2. People are still playing, so if you haven't played for a while, then you probably haven't seen some of the newer features. If you've never played before, you are missing a fun experience (if you're the strategy fan, at least). As always, Ultimatum is being hosted during Saturday and Sunday from 6:00 PM.

In terms of BYOND programming development and community involvement, I've kind of dropped out of the grid (sorry Gug, and Dream Makers readers!). These past months have been busy, and I haven't found any proper time to get back into programming and writing articles for BYOND or even anything else.

Although I haven't been readily developing or writing new resources, there are still some excellent resources that I'm seeing being overlooked. I'm mainly referring to my resources in programming browser interfaces and related topics. If you're having trouble with Topic() or just want to be able to take advantage of a very powerful feature (especially when complemented with 4.0 interfaces) these resources below are for you! All of these are on Dream Makers:

Three-part Article Series on Browser Interfaces:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

upForm - a library to dynamically and centrally handle all browser interface functionality

<a href="http://www.byond.com/developer/UnknownPerson/upCommentBox
">upCommentBox - a utility/demo that utilizes upForm to create a custom user-submission form

upContainers - a library that defines and implements primitive data structures used in everyday programming

Albeit my disappearance, I haven't been doing nothing at all! During the end of the summer, I've put together and built a new high-end computer due to my old machine not being able to handle my tasks very well.

http://www.byond.com/members/UnknownPerson/files/ comp_final.jpg

I don't think the cell phone quality hinders the sheer awesomeness of this setup. If you're interested, here are the full specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Yorkfield
HSF - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
MOBO - ASUS P5Q Pro Socket 775 Intel P45 Motherboard
RAM - 8GB of RAM (4x 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-800 PC2-6400)
GPU #1 - Sapphire HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
GPU #2 - ASUS 3650 EAH Silent 512MB GDDR2 PCI-Express 2.0
CASE - Antec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower Case
HDD - 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM Hard Drive
PSU - Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Logitech G5 USB Mouse (old one)
Logitech G15 USB Keyboard (new one)
Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 Speakers

Samsung SyncMaster 245B 24" Widescreen (Center)
BenQ FP202W 20.1" Widescreen (right)
Sceptre 17" (left)

(no, I don't know if it runs Crysis, don't plan on playing that game anyway. Theoretically, it should run it fine at 1920x1200 at reasonable settings :P)

Other things I've done was take a service project to Peru, and go to Music Camp (!). More on these in a future blog post!

Although my retreat to real life (oh no) has been particularly demanding, I'll try to make a comeback to the BYOND community. Perhaps release another library, article, or game if we're lucky.
I've put together and built a new high-end computer due to my old machine not being able to handle my tasks very well.

What exactly are these "tasks". That thing is a monster!

EDIT: Rehost your raycasting demo, the link is dead.
Well, my old machine ran out of harddrive space for quite a while, leaving very little space for the page file. It also had trouble decoding some video codecs. I also wanted to be able to play Mass Effect. :)

Hm, the link probably has been dead for a long time, since it was hosted on my long-gone ripway account. I'll put it back up, although it is a very old demo.
Why in the world do you need 3 monitors :\
Overly rich people like you are the reason little ophans in africa are starving.

Plus i want your computer- nice setup. :)

What's the deal with your two GPUs? Different cards? Is that compatible ala crossfire/nvidia SLI or is the asus fanless one just for powering seperate monitors (I guess useful for work, saving the other for gaming)?

P.S. Shame you wasted that pseudo-super computer on windows (vista?). :p
Elation wrote:
What's the deal with your two GPUs? Different cards? Is that compatible ala crossfire/nvidia SLI or is the asus fanless one just for powering seperate monitors (I guess useful for work, saving the other for gaming)?

They aren't connected via CrossFire as they're different cards (the 3650 doesn't even support CrossFire). My 4870 handles my main monitor (for gaming and movies) while the weaker 3650 handles the two sub-monitors for, you guessed it, work.

P.S. Shame you wasted that pseudo-super computer on windows (vista?). :p

I use what works. :P (which is pretty debatable, given Vista's woes)

Unknown Person wrote:
Hm, the link probably has been dead for a long time, since it was hosted on my long-gone ripway account. I'll put it back up, although it is a very old demo.

Dead again. Try something other than ripway? I'd like to see the raytracer in action :\