Resident Evil

by Ruben7
Resident Evil
v2 testing beta is now public! Leave us your feedback, suggestions and bug reports on the forums. Enjoy!
ID:52127

Keywords: review
This is my first review, so let's se how this goes.
Hello, everyone.
Alright, so I am here to review Resident Evil by Ruben7, a fresh experience to the Resident Evil games on BYOND. Most people will feel at home if you've played Dark Emrald's Resident Evil Online one and two. It features the same gameplay and feel to it, but will that make it not stand out from the pack?

Gameplay
The gameplay of the game, once again, is not much different from other Resident Evil games. If you get attacked, you get infected/damaged. There's really no different thing that the zombies can do. It would be nice to switch it up and mabey make them grab you, and you have to break free. Or let some zombies travel in packs to increase a better chance to kill because if you have enough people, you can' hold off many zombies on Normal and Hard. The flamethrower is a nice innovative weapon to! It shoots flames in a distance so you don't have to get in front of those ulgy things!

Presentation
The presentation was good enough for me. When you login, you have a clean interface, which looks like it was planned good in the making. You also get a pop-up message telling you about the game, game modes, rankings, help, etc. which helped me a lot since some controls I needed to know in order to do some things. The title screen looked pretty good aswell and was appealing to me. When you login, you go into a lobby which is broken into three parts - Game, Guns, Items(i'm guessing). To the right of you are the items, you can go and pick up various things, and there is also a shooting range behind them, where zombies are your targets. It kills the time to wait for the next match to begin which is good. To the left, there is weapons. I think the weapons are inspired by Call Of duty 4, since every weapon available is also featured in Call Of Duty 4. The gun I used was a G36C. It featured various stats such as reload speed, damage, shooting speed, etc. that I'm guessing I could upgrade. In the middle is the game, where you enter a door and you are then logged into the game in session. You can also VOTE on the next match and map you wish to play. Frankly, you cannot do this for the VIP or Desert playlist. The sounds were great, I loved the intro music at the title screen, as well as the gun sound effects. The explosions could have a bigger explosion GFX instead of a 32x32 explosion. (Used a C4, so I'm guessing it's the same with frags and such). The graphics were very well done. Everything seemed clean and smooth, and it could stand out from the rest of the Resident Evil games, as well as most BYOND games. The ranking system is pretty basic aswell. You kill, you get XP. So I don't think there is no way of de-ranking. It would be good if it collected your performance of a game, or various games and then decided if your ready to rank up.

Originality
Of course, the originality has to get a 9 because it is based on an already-created franchise, Resident Evil. The concept of style and play are somewhat repetitive as well. Walk here, hold F button to auto-aim, reload/go get ammo, repeat. It should change up how the game is played every match. Can your gun get jammed? Can you disable security? Can the zombies turn off electricity so that some things in the game are no accessible? add some flava into the game a bit :). It's still to much like Resident Evil one and two Online.

Overall
Overall, I think that this game is very great and fun to play, it is also a bit different from REO and REO2, but still has that core gameplay that many people love, but at the same time, could be built upon. I had a good time playing, and I hope this game gets far and becomes on of the best BYOND Action games in the future. Thank you for your time.

Yeah the main problem is it is to repetitive. I would have personally gave it a lower rating than what you have; From what you said it looks like you should have gave it less as well. They could add a lot more cool details that would make it funner to play, like a story mode, in-game things that you can do to add realism. But right now all you really do is walk and shoot, which gets boring after awhile.

Zombies should be able to do more things like grab people, knock them down, and regular attacking/biting. The click shooting system is near useless cause no one uses it, so I believe they should take out Auto-Aim, and make click shooting a little more useful. Though you got most of the details right with this review; The game still is developing and adding new features, so it might have been better to do it later, or just change it for updates.
Ruben and i have many things planned out, its just finding the time at the moment

But yeah the game is still a pretty early version, Thanks for taking the time to review and play. :)
Good and short review , even the most shortest review can be good. Great job :P
Thanks everyone!
The dead bodies look like infants(Anyone else notice that? lol)

Anyways I guess a decent review but I agree with Bakasensai more.
Ollyseeya wrote:
The dead bodies look like infants(Anyone else notice that? lol)

Anyways I guess a decent review but I agree with Bakasensai more.

3/4 perspective on a base standing, you have to go down a perspective for laying down.
ha flamethrower was my idea!!!
Bakasensei wrote:
Yeah the main problem is it is to repetitive. I would have personally gave it a lower rating than what you have; From what you said it looks like you should have gave it less as well. They could add a lot more cool details that would make it funner to play, like a story mode, in-game things that you can do to add realism. But right now all you really do is walk and shoot, which gets boring after awhile.

Zombies should be able to do more things like grab people, knock them down, and regular attacking/biting. The click shooting system is near useless cause no one uses it, so I believe they should take out Auto-Aim, and make click shooting a little more useful. Though you got most of the details right with this review; The game still is developing and adding new features, so it might have been better to do it later, or just change it for updates.

Auto aim is not 100% accurate, and can't kill zombies with one hit, since it doesn't target the head. And yeah, game's still in alpha, has a long way to go.
resident evil(this game) is awesome
"Of course, the originality has to get a 9 because it is based on an already-created franchise, Resident Evil."

No. If it' the first, it's a high rating. There are many many other zombie games, and resident evil games aswell. You compared the differences, and see if it brought anything new to the table. You don't just give an auto 9, why not a 5, 8.. maybe a 10 if it's an automatic score. Next time, compare it to the other resident evil games, where it isn't much different.
Flame Guardian wrote:
"Of course, the originality has to get a 9 because it is based on an already-created franchise, Resident Evil."

No. If it' the first, it's a high rating. There are many many other zombie games, and resident evil games aswell. You compared the differences, and see if it brought anything new to the table. You don't just give an auto 9, why not a 5, 8.. maybe a 10 if it's an automatic score. Next time, compare it to the other resident evil games, where it isn't much different.

Originality is not just on what the game is based on, Has the ideas in game been done? Have they done it in a diffrent way then anything before? Etc.
I'm talking about the Resident Evil franchise, not the BYOND one.
Chris-g1 wrote:
Flame Guardian wrote:

Originality is not just on what the game is based on, Has the ideas in game been done? Have they done it in a diffrent way then anything before? Etc.

"Next time, compare it to the other resident evil games, where it isn't much different."

You only took what I said and explained it. Compare, and like I said it's not that much different.
I'm talking about the Resident Evil franchise, not the BYOND one.
Flame Guardian wrote:
Chris-g1 wrote:
Flame Guardian wrote:

"Next time, compare it to the other resident evil games, where it isn't much different."

You only took what I said and explained it. Compare, and like I said it's not that much different.

Well what if we changed the name to somthing else and it was just a normal zombie game... would that instantly be better? Considering you just game a megaman game that is 100% art resource, which is basically just a standard megaman game and gave it a 7 for originality... Then saying that RE is not much diffrent from the rest and it should probably be a 5 is a tad hypocriticle.
"you just game a megaman game that is 100% art resource"

No, the guy made most of his bosses, characters, and enemies. Yes the graphics are custom but he doesn't do anything unique to the game. And if he did, it's not said. And talking about the Resident Evil franchise? I don't understand exactly, you mean comparing a 2d game to the 3d game? If so, they're nothing alike and it's original. But you should compare it to the other BYOND games of it's genre. And Chris, there can be differences between Resident evil and normal zombie games(characters, locations, time..future maybe?, you could add your own ideas like different gametypes/weapons/etc)
I find RE alot more fun than REO/REO2...( prob because i played REO to much and got bored of it )...and the Mouse targetting isnt useless... i use it since head shots = more cash + its faster to kill then Auto Target :P.....
This review is of the Alpha stage, you should re-review it someday.
Haven't tried it yet, when I get time I'll try it out and post my opinions about it, if no one has a problem with that.