ID:54671

Keywords: digest
Achievements start to take shape
Lummox JR has been working on the new achievements system. In particular, most of the fundamentals have been worked on, including the DM interface for awarding medals to players. This is what Lummox had to say on the Achievements work in general:

"On the software front, I've been working on procs to communicate with the hub that will be able to use the hub for storage of scores and stats, and to award medals. A medal is basically any in-game achievement, determined by the hub entry author and awarded by calling a proc."

This is still a work in progress, however you can expect it to be available this week or next.

Hub entries revamped
The layout of game hub entries are being worked on, in order to provide a cleaner interface that guides players to servers. The new system works by splitting content into one of several tabs, providing a summary of important tabs on the page users first view when visiting a hub entry. Tabs will contain more detail on their respective areas, such as subscription information, achievements, reviews and so on. The overall aim of the new hub system is to make BYOND's various features accessible to users in a meaningful way, while also making the act of joining servers an easy task for regular players of your games. This hub update should roll out at the same time as the new Achievements system.

You must be nuts!
Aaiko has released a new game, under his banner group Iccusion Entertainment, called Feval. The format of the game may be somewhat reminiscent of the classic game Bomberman, however Feval adds a number of new features to the game style, in order to make repeating playing more enjoyable. It implements a number of different in-game achievements (not related to BYOND achievements), as well as power-ups that increase various aspects of your character. Certainly worth checking out with a few friends.

Art Journals
Zxcvdnm has been writing art journals for a few months now, showcasing the art for two projects: Isorath and Espionage. Isorath is an RPG created by a partnership between Tiberath and Zxcvdnm, with Zxcvdnm creating the inspiring artwork in most of the game's screenshots.
Can't wait for the release of achievements.
I think you guys should comment on how the old classic Castle is being updated finally!
Yay for artificial fun! Hopefully this new achievement system will do to Byond what it did to Kongregrate. Mainly sucking out all intelligence, and reducing the amount of people willing to try a game at the fear that it may get achievements later on.
Why do I get the feeling the update will make the website less accessible?
Will the achievements have an Xbox 360-like notification and sound clip or will it be up to the developer to notify the player in his own special way?
Glad this is back. Thanks for the update, Stephen.
Note the lack of "Weekly" from the title! :P
SuperAntx wrote:
Will the achievements have an Xbox 360-like notification and sound clip or will it be up to the developer to notify the player in his own special way?

It's up to the developer, as I understand it.
Vermolius wrote:
Note the lack of "Weekly" from the title! :P

Yeah, yeah. If we're being honest, the BYOND community just wasn't exciting enough to make it weekly. Still doesn't seem exciting enough to make it monthly, at the moment.
It seems like this achievement system will likely be abused, Somebody could just make a random achievement and give themselves a ton of points.
Login()
src<<"For loggin in you get 50 acheivement points!!!"
src.achiement("Logining in[rand(0,9999]",50)
Magicbeast20 wrote:
It seems like this achievement system will likely be abused, Somebody could just make a random achievement and give themselves a ton of points.

Hopefully they'll only be enabled for responsible developers who've had their game accepted into at least one official guild.

No pressure or anything. =)
this idea is actually really intersting sounding but i just dont know whether or not its a good or bad idea. on the upside it gives more reason for players to play byond but on the other hand alot of developers will abuse this system and give points only to their friends.
Magicbeast20 wrote:

From what I've seen so far, the medals are mostly only useful on the hubs themselves. So if someone wants to give their friends the "lawl i pwns" medal on the game XxNarutoIchigosLegacyxX, they're welcome to. I doubt that displaying such a medal on your member page would make anyone think you're a particularly good gamer. Good medals from well known games however (Perhaps a Hokage medal on GOA) would be something people would be more likely to be impressed by on your member page.

I think an important point is that people seem to be looking a lot more towards the Xbox live gamer score system, which from what I've seen, isn't being implemented here.
Stephen001 wrote:
I think an important point is that people seem to be looking a lot more towards the Xbox live gamer score system, which from what I've seen, isn't being implemented here.

Well the achievement system hasn't really been defined of WHAT exactly it is, When you say "Achievements" people will think of Xbox 360 Achievements, Instead of Medals. Either way it's a cool idea.
Not like noobs will actually know how to use the new procs to handle achievements.
Andre-g1 wrote:
Not like noobs will actually know how to use the new procs to handle achievements.

They will find a way, They always do. Lol
Magicbeast20 wrote:
Andre-g1 wrote:

They will find a way, They always do. Lol

Source kodezzz
Page: 1 2