ID:54986

Keywords: misc

Since I was 8 years old I’ve always been actively involving myself in freelance art. In elementary school a group of kids would print out pictures of Dragon Ball characters and sell them to other kids for quarters and dollars. The idea of making most money was to be able to find and print the coolest pictures… I however, decided to draw the pictures myself. I would take request and be able to come up with custom content… all the kids began coming to me to buy my drawings of Dragon Ball characters fit to however they’d like, extra armor or even SSJ13, haha.

The hobby of making art, and the sense of achievement of being able to sell my art continued with me over the years. In middle school...I would make card games and sell packs of cards to my friends who really liked the game. In the first year of high school, when I was introduced to the world of the internet forums and Runescape…I started pixeling forum signatures with people’s characters as a way to make serious money in-game, this form of making money was later banned though. Second year of high school I began to play Ragnarok, and I did the same thing. With my pixel art I was able to quickly acquired staff positions and wealth over many private servers.

After the second year of high school, I decided to home school… and this opened up the free time and flexible schedule to take my freelancing to the next level. But not having teachers, or having to go to a formal class room enabled me to make the choice of how to prioritize… obviously…I chose art over all else.

This eventually led to the thinning of school hours, and I’ve suffered greatly. Its been a year and a half since I’ve homeschooled… I’ve graduated at the age of 16. My plans are to start applying to college, before I can do this I have to take test like the SATs (I never did in high school).

I find myself spending a lot of time on freelance art… due dates..Deadlines and making crap I don’t even care about has finally stuck a nerve. I need to focus on school and life goals a lot more.

As of now, I will no longer accept or seek freelance work.

This is actually good news for most of you reading… any free time I get I will devote on Efencea, and other –hobby- related art. No pressure. No deadlines… just pure fun. I’m aiming at 2-3 hours a day, excluding Thursdays and Sundays, and maybe any other day of the week I choose to hangout with friends.

So yea, all the stress is gone. A lot of clients are upset, but I’m happy.

*I have edited this post. 3:47pm EST Sunday march 15*
I assumed you already were putting about that much time into hobby art (Efencea) each day. How much were you putting in on average?
:(:

^That's my reaction.
Vermolius wrote:
I assumed you already were putting about that much time into hobby art (Efencea) each day. How much were you putting in on average?

about 2-3 hours, except it was once or twice a week.
I have a similar history but I'm not that artistic. And I was never homeschooled.

tl;dr: We're not similar at all.
i have found that working on games I don't like at a pace I don't like, for money I don't really desperately need, very much kills the fun factor as well as the inspiration to do the art. i would rather work when I want on a game i like for free than to be tied down to deadlines. good for you as far as applying yourself to getting into a college, keep in mind if you go through a community college and transfer(look into their transfer programs so you can see if you can transfer to a school you're interested in) you do not have to take the SATs and it can be quite a bit cheaper(but still not cheap.) good luck though, whatever you choose to do. :)
I always considered you a very creative person following your art, Efencea, Digital, and Hand Drawn. I also remember drawing but my way was much different. I would create name art such as asking their Nickname and Favorite anime then I would draw their name according to the anime they picked, I always had a love for art also. Nice to see we are very alike :)
Tayoko creative!? Are you kidding?
[L]augh [O]ut [L]oud
I always thought of him as one. Am I the only one who knows him as "creative" :[
Troy1121 wrote:
[L]augh [O]ut [L]oud
I always thought of him as one. Am I the only one who knows him as "creative" :[

He was being sarcastic lol.

@Zxcvdnm: YOur post was very useful!! I'm gonna check it out. Id do anything to avoid the SATs lol! I haven been in a math class since regular school, and its rather difficult teaching yourself.

Tayoko wrote:
Troy1121 wrote:
[L]augh [O]ut [L]oud

He was being sarcastic lol.

@Zxcvdnm: YOur post was very useful!! I'm gonna check it out. Id do anything to avoid the SATs lol! I haven been in a math class since regular school, and its rather difficult teaching yourself.

any time. :) you may want to call local community colleges just to confirm that its the same in your area, just to make sure. around here you do have to take a "college preparedness" test, which is basically just a diagnostic test that tells you what classes you test out of. if you can do algebra then obviously you shouldn't be taking algebra, things of that nature.