ID:55021

Keywords: design, graphic
And it's aimed to him, though there are many here. "OH, WELL NOW THAT I HAVE PHOTOSHOP, I'M GONNA GO BE GOOD AT ART OR GET BETTER." And he's picked cause my comment was deleted for saying something 100% true.

"Copying and pasting must have killed your hands."

So tired of hearing that it's not even funny. I work as a graphic designer and let me just say, Photoshop is the program we use less out of everything. I own the whole master Suite of CS4 (bought) and so this makes me a graphic artist. Wrong.

Photoshop doesn't help your skill, nor does it improve it. It's just a tool. Pencil or pen, a "real" graphic artist / artist / whatever doesn't really care. They probably have a preference, but can do the same with either.

"It took me 3 hours to make it..that's how i suck at the moment."

? Did he just use that silly term that people use when they steal stuff. "Make". Copy and pasting isn't making, and filtering the hell out of an image isn't art.

I'm 99% sure the image of the guy to the right is a GunZ loading screen character from the art style and being a fan back in the day. It's easy to make a sig. -anyone- can do it. I'd literally be embarrassed to ever show a signature to anyone - unless I drew the whole thing or made it from no tutorials that anyone can just google, and pictures anyone can googleimage.

Here's my rly fst kewl tutorial yo do dis n ur a GRAFIC ARTIZ

cpy imgez u wnt to a blnk psd
cut out da pplz u wntz ta steel
get da pen tewl and draw random shiz den filtr rape dem
den filter rape da pictas so dat they look kewler
dun 4get to clix da layer style n go down da list 1 by 1 until it lewkz kewl bu overlai workz da best
den put ur name n sell 4 $50330503030 dollaz

I SWEAR. If you follow these instructions you get from this(picture is from GunZ):

To

I no i has skillz. 4 minutes. Really, I managed to improve the image quality. I think the original could have used more light/shadows. But am I gonna go fix it and take credit? No.

Half of these people, if you ask, "What does the Layer style "overlay" do?" -shrug, makes everything all white and kewl lookin-

This is why I don't go, "Wow, nice job." even if it looks nice. You've done nothing. Now if an artist draws a login for a game and everything is 100% original, kudos man. Great job.

And don't even get me started on "brushes". Anyway, this is pretty long and I don't have time to go over it. But really people, before you post up "art" you've done, try to think if you've done anything at all. Cause this:

Consists of motion blur and layer settings. That's not art.

This community looks down on people who edit rips and have no idea what they're doing, yet approves of people who do the same thing when it comes to art.

PS: I'm studying at a college not only as a Graphic/Commercial Art major but as a side project, I'm trying to be Adobe Certified, and so far so good.
Agreed.

But our standards for original art have to stay low until BYOND can get more artists to join the community and hang around.
I agree. (That's a link, by the way. Curse your CSS.)
Aixelsyd wrote:
Agreed.

But our standards for original art have to stay low until BYOND can get more artists to join the community and hang around.

There are some old artists trying to try out 3D artistry, Ter is one of them.
He was referring to the signature, which he did "Make". If he didn't, there would be nothing there. There is nothing wrong with using renders, which he didn't at all claim to have made.

"It took my 40 minutes to make a fry-up this morning"

Nit-pick at that comment...
Feel better now?

Photoshop doesn't help your skill, nor does it improve it. It's just a tool. Pencil or pen, a "real" graphic artist / artist...

Wait, so, pencils and pens aren't tools but still magic you into being a 'real' artist? Your argument here is a little dumb to me. Photoshop, pens, and pencils are all tools. Anything you make with one you can make with another.

Really I find your rant here a bit distasteful. You trash how hopefuls are going about art incorrectly, yet you display just as terrible of a habit. Being a jackass.

Another thing
I'd literally be embarrassed to ever show a signature to anyone - unless I drew the whole thing or made it from no tutorials that anyone can just google, and pictures anyone can googleimage.

Weren't you making a tutorial? I sure hope nobody uses it, else they're an embarrassment.

Yes, agreed, throwing a few effects and brushes on an image may not be considered 'art'. However, the message could've been constructed in a less abrasive manner.

PS: Your blog theme/display picture weren't made/editted with a curvy line in photoshop were they?

Vermolius wrote:

Wait, so, pencils and pens aren't tools but still magic you into being a 'real' artist? Your argument here is a little dumb to me.

I said they were tools. Maybe you're not understanding because you're not reading correctly? And I never said they make you a real artist. I said a real artist know how to use their SKILL with ANY tool. Pencil / pen/ finger paint / blood / You name it.

Really I find your rant here a bit distasteful. You trash how hopefuls are going about art incorrectly, yet you display just as terrible of a habit. Being a jackass.

The irony, huh? And for your information, I'm known for being one. If I hurt your feelings, well I'm sorry. I'll be sure to sugar coat it next time in your name.

Weren't you making a tutorial? I sure hope nobody uses it, else they're an embarrassment.

There's a different fron:
google: button photoshop tutorial

And a tutorial you learn from. Also, because you prove again you can't read, let me break it down for you:

"Just some generic things I think people should think about before ever making something for someone."

I never said, "I'm going to make a tutorial where you follow these steps and come out with this".
I meant tips, so good job. Really.

PS: Your blog theme/display picture weren't made/editted with a curvy line in photoshop were they?

Technically, my blog theme was made with CSS. Oh, look what I did there. Also, they were made with the pen tool, and I was going for the plasticy look of Web 2.0 without all the large fonts. So your attempt as at a personal attack has failed. And btw, that same effect can be done in Paint. So congrats at a useless post. Feel free to try again, just remember to pass Go and collect your $200 of correct information.
I'm not an artist =D So, nothing personal. No sugar coating necessary.

Mainly I just don't like people who are full of themselves. You really shouldn't be. It doesn't make you cool it just makes people dislike you.

You never said pens and pencils were tools. (Somehow you seem to think you did)

Go ahead and brag about being a jackass, it just makes you more of one.

My breakdown of your post is as follows:
"I'm a jerk. You're only cool if you can make a painting using a rock for a brush. Oh and I'm THAT cool!"

You don't understand that art isn't just in manipulating tools but rather in the creativity that moves the artist to use the tools. Art isn't completely about skill.

Some people aren't nearly as advanced as you; they might learn from a "google: button photoshop tutorial". It's alright for them to do so, even if it is a 'follow steps and get something' tutorial. This is what is called being an amateur. Let them try, learn, and maybe even show off what they come up with. It might come as a surprise to someone oozing artistic talent that other people have to start somewhere. Eventually, if they stick with it, they'll get better. Being an asshole towards them for it isn't what they need--even if they're 'doing it wrong'. Your godliness had to of started somewhere, did you get verbally assaulted by a jackass for your initial works? I doubt it. Yet you take it upon yourself to knock others down.

Technically, being a smartass doesn't make you win automagically as you seem to believe. Nor does consistently congratulating someone for their supposed failure mean that you've successfully berated them.

It's common sense that your page's styling is made with CSS--I don't quite think that's what I was talking about, though. Who asked what look you were going for? Do you treat everyone like they're retarded? So what, you're in college, that doesn't make you smarter than everyone. It might serve you well, being an artist, to understand what art truly is before claiming it's all in what tools you use or your amazing talent.

You may know a lot, Mr. Skillz, but that doesn't give you free-roam to be a douche. I'd like to say I've wasted too much time on you but I'm sure you'll have some high-and-mighty response to this.
Vermolius wrote:
Mainly I just don't like people who are full of themselves. You really shouldn't be. It doesn't make you cool it just makes people dislike you.

1) That's nice to know, I'll be sure to care about your personal preferences and opinions when it's your blog. While it's mine however, I suppose you can just deal with it.

2) I'm not insecure to care what people online whom I will never meet think of me. Maybe you do, but I don't.

You never said pens and pencils were tools. (Somehow you seem to think you did)

"Photoshop doesn't help your skill, nor does it improve it. It's just a tool. Pencil or pen, a "real" graphic artist / artist / whatever doesn't really care. They probably have a preference, but can do the same with either."

"Anyway, this is pretty long and I don't have time to go over it. "
That last part was posted for people like you. Either way, I state, Photoshop is just a tool. Pen or pencil, a real graphic artist uses their skill with either. Photoshop, pen, pencil, etc.

You don't understand that art isn't just in manipulating tools but rather in the creativity that moves the artist to use the tools. Art isn't completely about skill.

I never really stated it was, I said a lot of people aren't using creative methods, and not even attempting to learn. Simply using manipulation.

Some people aren't nearly as advanced as you; they might learn from a "google: button photoshop tutorial". It's alright for them to do so, even if it is a 'follow steps and get something' tutorial. This is what is called being an amateur. Let them try, learn, and maybe even show off what they come up with. It might come as a surprise to someone oozing artistic talent that other people have to start somewhere. Eventually, if they stick with it, they'll get better. Being an asshole towards them for it isn't what they need--even if they're 'doing it wrong'. Your godliness had to of started somewhere, did you get verbally assaulted by a jackass for your initial works? I doubt it. Yet you take it upon yourself to knock others down.

You must think I'm really good, thanks. Cause I never state to be. I'll take that as a compliment. Learning from those tutorials isn't learning in the long run, it's like learning how to add 5+5 = 10. 6+6=Not 10. Therefore, you learned nothing if you simply learned, "5+5" you're just remembering a set of actions. Learning how to count, basics. Then learning how to add, that's how you start. And that's how I started. I never went stealing artwork, which is what this whole post is about (which you don't get and somehow think I'm saying, Hey everyone. Me>Them. If you think that, well thanks, again, like I said. But don't put words in my mouth.)This whole post is telling them, "You're doing it wrong. You're stealing, making you a thief. -TRY- putting effort into it."

It's common sense that your page's styling is made with CSS--I don't quite think that's what I was talking about, though.

I replied a smart ass comment with another, why I stated, "look what I did there." Apparently you didn't look.

So what, you're in college, that doesn't make you smarter than everyone.

Well you're making a game, so you must think you're smarter then everyone else and better!
(is that true? I doubt it. Stop coming up with retarded guesses, cause I could do it too!) I never stated I was smarter or that it made me better. I'd say stop making a random hypothesis but it wasn't really an educated guess.

It might serve you well, being an artist, to understand what art truly is before claiming it's all in what tools you use or your amazing talent.

I said it's -not- about the tool. And Art is a talent, so that last statement is just pointless.

You may know a lot, Mr. Skillz, but that doesn't give you free-roam to be a douche. I'd like to say I've wasted too much time on you but I'm sure you'll have some high-and-mighty response to this.

Besides you getting no where but whining about the way I go about things, which has nothing to do about this post. Nope, not really. Round 3?
CodingSkillz2 wrote:
Blah blah pointless argument.

Still I believe there is more to art than what you see.

I have no judgment on your skills as an artist besides the fact that your CSS is pretty neat. So, don't inflate your head too much over what I'd said. It was mainly your attitude of "I know better than the rest of you." that primed me to construct my post in such a manner--in mockery of you.

No point in arguing further. Obviously your post came off the wrong way to me. It didn't help that you bragged about being a jerk. Anyway. It's been fun, just try to remember that messages are better received when they aren't a huge put-down. Just because it's online doesn't mean that the people on the other end aren't people.