ID:55448

Since way back in version 3.5++ (I think), BYOND has had vastly improved sound controls...

And since sound serves such a large role in Murder Mansion (as it should in any game, though it's often the most neglected aspect), I've always had it in mind to utilize those new tools to make the atmosphere that much richer and more realistic in the game...

So, I've finally gotten around to doing just that...

Right now, though, it's nothing more than using sound x and y, volume, and falloff (nothing fancy with environments and true 3D sound)

So basically, sounds will sound like they're coming from the right direction, and they'll be quieter if you're further away...

I've also changed it so that the background midis play at 50% volume so that they don't overpower the game's SFX as badly as they did before (if demand is high enough, I'll add in a user-controlled setting for this, to turn them up or down as the player likes, but for now I think I'll just leave it as a forced setting)

Along with messing with volume, I've simplified the weather/ambient sounds... Before, there were two files for the weather (one for inside, and one for outside); two copies of one file, each at a different volume edited into the file itself, or even two completely different files... But now, I'm finally able to just use the same file, and play it at 25% volume for the people inside... It's a no-brainer, but when I first put the sounds in, there was no volume control, and I had never gotten around to making the change...

In relation to sounds, I've also made a small improvement on how off-screen sounds are reported to you... Before, there was a text message with a little compass-like thing that pointed in the direction of the sound's source (which, given the right circumstances, would spam your text output with message after message)... Now, the edge of your client.screen has been given a set of 16 hidden objects (at the cardinal, intermediate, and compound compass points), that flick() a sound wave icon from the proper direction...

In the above series of shots, you can see the pointers in different locations (and different frames of animation, in roughly the correct sequence; each arc fades in and then out sequentially) relative to a sound source just off the top of the screen (a ticking grandfather clock, like in the mansion, which is to the northwest of me in the first shot, directly north in the second, and north-north-west in the third)

You'll also notice that I'm standing in the dining room/bar/dance floor area of the new Ship map (more shots of the new maps will be coming closer to release)

You can also see the new, simplified, Ghost icon... It's now nothing but a little set of concentric semi-transparent circles... Like a little round light pool...
:) kudos. I would recommend using the interface system to include an "options" panel in which you can turn background music either off or down. I personally like to listen to itunes while playing games.
Well, there's already (has been for quite some time, actually) a HUD button that can be used to toggle background music and to toggle sound effects (so you can turn one or both of them off), so that option is available...

I'm just not sure complete volume control is necessary, though I might add it at some point if demand is high enough...
Use .ogg sound files. Reduced file size at the same quality.
The only trouble with switching sound types is in having to go re-find everything in the other format... It's just not worth that effort to me...