ID:55671

As a means of learning more of the city, meeting new people, staying fit, and making a little cash, I've begun driving a cycle-taxi / pedi-cab (see photos below).

Yes, it is as heavy as it looks and riding into the wind feels like you have an open parachute behind you. In a week or two there will be an electric motor attached to help with the small hills and improve acceleration from a stopped position.

I can carry up to three full sized adults in decent comfort, and typically I can make anywhere from $100-$500 per day, depending on the weather, the day, and if there are any events happening in the city. The best time is at night when people are leaving the bars. Apparently alcohol makes you a big tipper!

From trikes and velomobiles

Interesting. Did you have to get a license to be a cab?

Also, if you covered the rear wheel hubs it would look a little better.
Danial.Beta wrote:
Interesting. Did you have to get a license to be a cab?

no, since it is considered a cycle.

Also, if you covered the rear wheel hubs it would look a little better.

maybe, but then it would be harder to fix the tires/wheels if there was a flat, or other technical problem.
My thought was locking panels that covered them. It would hide the messy underbelly, while making it easy to remove. This, however, would add to the weight, which I'm sure is an issue.
That bike just screams stab me and rob me.
About how much did this (and your recumbents) cost?

Are there motorized recumbents? I've been thinking about getting a recumbent, but some hills around here are rediculous.
In a week or two there will be an electric motor attached to help with the small hills and improve acceleration from a stopped position.

You're going to need it. I don't know about you, but I reckon moving four adults and what looks to be a plastic bus-stop, with nothing but the power of your legs is not going to be easy at all. Especially that initial get moving burst.
Very cool.
Tiberath wrote:
You're going to need it. I don't know about you, but I reckon moving four adults and what looks to be a plastic bus-stop, with nothing but the power of your legs is not going to be easy at all...

oh the legs handle it just fine. the pedicab has low enough gears to climb anything we have around here, albeit slowly (been riding for about 2 weeks now). it's just frustrating and a waste of energy in head-on winds.
IcewarriorX wrote:
That bike just screams stab me and rob me.

well if someone tried to stab and rob the cab, they'd quickly learn that a) it's a stupid idea, and b) it's frigging heavy- too heavy to steal. in fact this model was stolen once already - the thieves only got about 200 meters before giving up.

now if you were referring to stabbing me and robbing me, then the attacker would be in for a trip to the hospital. been stabbed before - never slowed me down as i gave the attacker's knife arm an extra flexible joint between the wrist and elbow, severely limited his future ability to create children, and added monthly visits to the chiropractor. :D

the point being i don't fuck around when someone tries to attack me- they either take me down in the first moments or not. they get *no* second chances (and rarely first ones if i'm paying attention).
Airjoe wrote:
About how much did this (and your recumbents) cost?

not sure about the pedi-cab because I rent it for about $45/day (or less if i do a week at a time). This particular model that I drive is probably around $4,000-$5,000.

the trikes that I ride to work and for touring/exersize cost around $2,000-$3,000 depending on options.

Are there motorized recumbents? I've been thinking about getting a recumbent, but some hills around here are rediculous.

absolutely! there is a wide variety of electric and gas motors available for recumbent trikes and bikes.

many people around here with trikes use the BionX hub motor as an electric assist.
I am assuming you do something for possibly lighting in the dark when you pick up the drunks?
HeavenlyFlow wrote:
I am assuming you do something for possibly lighting in the dark when you pick up the drunks?

if you look closely, there is a big light on the top of the handlebars, and a set of lights on the back at the bottom (covered in tape in these photos because they had not been hooked up yet). and at night i add little blinky lights fore and aft.

Plus the area where the pedicab riders mainly ride is fully lighted by streetlamps and store-fronts.