Naruto VS

by Masterralphy55
Naruto VS
A New Original Naruto Fighting game!
ID:570660

Beta 1.0

Changes:

-Changed how matches are found. There is no longer a "server", but instead all clients connect to each other via a lookup prompt.

-Changed the character selection screen (additions).

-Changed all attack actions and hitboxes. Attackes are now balanced based on character type, attack speed, damage, and reach.

-Removed Shikamaru as a playable character due to data corruption and deletion. He will be re-added for Beta 2.0 Along with two other characters.

Additions:

-Added new effects to the character selection screen. (character portraits and sliding effects.)

-Added blank boxes to show how many available characters there will be.

-Added title screen with menu buttons.

-Added VSCPU option. Enables you to fight a cpu enemy

-Added Training mode. Enables you to fight an unmoving cpu dummy, both you and the cpu dummy have infinite health and chakra.

WARNING: The changes to the game mean that Dream Daemon is no longer required to run a server. Just start up your game, go to VSONLINE and select "Host a Match"

So, there's the info on the update. The game has had a MAJOR facelift. A lot of changes and features added. combat is slightly different with more accurate damage, attack speed, and attack reach all based on the characters. (i.e. Suigetsu is slow to attack but has long reach and does high damage)

There's a ton of stuff that's been put into the game but, of course, I was unable to find a working version of Shikamaru's character files.

On top of that, all my animations for shuriken throwing were wiped as well. Damn!

Those will all be re-added for beta 2.0 though, so don't worry.

It's been a bit of a wait since I last made and update, I took a well deserved break from the game but I managed to get pretty much all of this work done in just one day, and it probably shows as the game is sure to be riddled with bugs. If you find them, please post to the bug reports section.

NOTE: I still have yet to upload the files so it may be a few minutes before you see the update!
Awesome! Also Bravo, I got Sage Naruto almost done! I forgot his dash backward animation, once I do that then it's done! Oh yeah I am providing an alt costume for you too!
1. It's supposed to be so high so it's a dodging tool and allows you a chance to do an air combo.

2. They do have differences. Up hit hits them in the air to follow with an air combo if possible, Down hit is a strong slow hit, Back is a medium-damage medium-speed hit, and Forward is a weak fast attack and if you press it again you would notice it's a combo.

I can accept it may not be fun to you, but I would rather you actually gave some valid pointers instead of what you just said. I've seen the source thru Teamviewing Ralphy's computer when he wanted to show it and I know how this game works, so expect me to correct invalid criticism.
Iobject wrote:
I can accept it may not be fun to you, but I would rather you actually gave some valid pointers instead of what you just said. I've seen the source thru Teamviewing Ralphy's computer when he wanted to show it and I know how this game works, so expect me to correct invalid criticism.

The criticism wasn't invalid. If you have to have looked at the source code to know how the game works, something is wrong with the game!
In Response to FA(#5):
That wasn't my point. My point was is that I know the game inside-out unlike the average player that just knows what stuff does.

In Response to Yut Put (#4):
This is Beta 1.0 This isn't a full game. Remember those demos that always say "This does not reflect the quality of the full product"? That applies here because it's "Beta" 1.0

First off, controlling the opponents position? This strikes me as "I just played training and decide to judge games off this bad attempt to try a game out". Play against real people thru a server. If you can't, then just play against the AI. Both jump at different times and there is always a time they jump.

They were not valid if my facts struck down on your opinions easily with no effort.

They do have similar attacks, but look at Pain (orange hair guy). He's an unlockable yet he has something different. Look at Sakura (short-red hair girl). Her jutsu is different. The only chars with the same types of jutsus are Naruto, Sasuke, Jiraiya, and Suigetsu. Trust me, play against real people and its fun.

Guarding gives damage to the person guarding when they are hit, and down hits break guards.

Substituting fixes this cheapness for jutsu. Hold S and press down.

They still are different no matter how you look at it.

It does move them. I've played this game tons of times. You just don't notice it.

Jumping doesn't set it up, it gives you a chance to. Would you rather have a small jump and have no air combos with major disadvantages, or a high jump to combo them if they are just a runner?

Again, my conclusion: Listen to this if you don't to anything else: This is Beta 1.0 not Official Update. This doesn't reflect the full quality. Have a problem with it? Then just Alt+F4 out of here.
Iobject wrote:
They were not valid if my facts struck down on your opinions easily with no effort.
Again, my conclusion: Listen to this if you don't to anything else: This is Beta 1.0 not Official Update. This doesn't reflect the full quality. Have a problem with it? Then just Alt+F4 out of here.

Whoa, calm down!

It's not that you're wrong, it's just that these gameplay details you're explaining should be more obvious to the player. That's why you post a beta version. It's easy to test a game yourself to make sure it works but you need to get other people's opinions to see if they can understand the game too. From the looks of it, some of these things aren't as obvious or well-explained as they should be.
In response to Forum_account
Sorry to rain down on your parade, I'm perfectly calm. I'm just stating what I know. Sorry if I show to be mad in any way, I'm just defending my friend's game that I like to play with facts.

Also he was criticizing with the point of "Look at games outside of Byond and compare it to this" but clearly you can't, because this is Beta 1.0, not 1.0. I felt like he needed to know his criticism was wrong.

My friend worked really hard on this, infact he was offline for most of his byond time to work on this game alone while Masterralphy55 was offline. If that's not hard work, I don't know what hard work is, because I hate to see someone bashing on a game for invalid points that will cause some de-motivation and eventually end up to another closed project. ([sasrcasm]Which you can tell the internet clearly doesn't have enough of[/sarcasm])
lobject, you really are misunderstanding what they are saying. if I'm correct they're giving feedback on where they think the game could be improved. they aren't bashing the game, specifically yut put, since he often comes off pretty offensive.

hes giving critique because the game is in beta like you stated. So it turns out better in the end. critique wont always be covered in "ice cream and daisy's" simply put, you wont always get ass kissers that help the game's development in no way whatsoever.

I don't know what hard work is, because I hate to see someone bashing on a game for invalid points that will cause some de-motivation and eventually end up to another closed project. ([sasrcasm]Which you can tell the internet clearly doesn't have enough of[/sarcasm])

if critique causes you to lose motivation you probably shouldn't be developing games.
In response to Zane444
Ok, well I could have misunderstood, but he came off as if he was saying "This game sucks don't even try anymore".

I didn't say it should always come out like that sugar-coated crap, I said I don't want criticism to be too harsh. It's okay if someone is just telling what they think, but he came off really harsh and offensive to the point where it was unnecessary.

I never said I lose motivation, but I know a lot of people who will lose motivation if criticized to the point where it's no longer criticism but just some hater hatin on it.
Iobject wrote:
I'm just defending my friend's game that I like to play with facts.

I like to play with facts too. And the fact is, this type of feedback is important. It's the reason you do testing like this. The game's creator is bound to like the project if they've spent a lot of time working on it. If they thought their game was boring, stupid, and confusing, they wouldn't have spent so much time on it. If they thought something was wrong they'd have fixed it.

This can be a bad thing. If part of the game is confusing, the creator might not notice because they're just so used to how the game works. This is why testing is actually important. A "beta test" isn't just something you do because that's what other games do. The point is to get feedback like this. The game's creator can test a lot of the game by themselves - they can make sure the game works how they want it to. What they can't do is test the game from an outsider's perspective. They already know a lot about the game and they can't just forget what they know about it.

You just have to let other people play the game and see what they dislike or can't figure out. Sometimes the feedback is negative, but negative feedback is what'll improve the game. If playing the game leaves people with a bad impression, they should say so. Maybe they misunderstood something and the game is actually good. We're not talking about how good or bad the game is, we're talking about a user's impression of the game, so there's no way to say their impression is invalid. If the game didn't seem fun to them, it didn't seem fun.
Thats the thing. Read my last post. I can understand criticism, but that kind of criticism is too harsh to be criticism. I can understand the truth being harsh, but he went further than just harsh. He sounded like an arsehole to be honest, and I know how it feels to be hit by haters.

I may have misunderstood his intentions because he came off that way, but he doesn't really need to, now does he? He could have just said "I found these bugs:" listed them and be off with it. He didn't need to go to the extent of "This game sucks and I wouldn't play it ever."
In response to Iobject
Iobject wrote:
He could have just said "I found these bugs:" listed them and be off with it.

That is basically what he did. If you hated this game, I don't think you'd have viewed his comments as being harsh, but because you like this game his feedback seems harsher.
Forum_account wrote:
Iobject wrote:
He could have just said "I found these bugs:" listed them and be off with it.

That is basically what he did. If you hated this game, I don't think you'd have viewed his comments as being harsh, but because you like this game his feedback seems harsher.

That's funny. Let me quote what he said in the end.

"this game isn't very fun." - Opinion
"There's a lot more criticism I could get into, but I doubt you see what i'm seeing." - This right here.

Edit: I would help Bravo1 in this, but MasterRalphy took an arrow in his computer (lame joke is lame). Bravo can't add me to the dropbox, only Masterralphy can. If he was able to add me, I would collaborate and fix most of these (because you can probably tell already I type fast).

If I misunderstood, I will be willing to accept that. I already have earlier.
Iobject wrote:
"this game isn't very fun." - Opinion

I'm not sure why you wrote "Opinion" there. The point of testing is to get peoples' opinion of the game. Getting facts as feedback (ex: "the name of the game is Naruto VS", "the guy has orange hair", etc.) wouldn't be helpful at all =)

"There's a lot more criticism I could get into, but I doubt you see what i'm seeing." - This right here.

He may have meant that you're literally playing different versions. But, more likely, he meant the same thing I'm saying. You're not looking for faults because you like the game (which was probably decided before you even played it). When someone who has no pre-existing reason to like the game tries it, they're not going to see it the same way you do.
1. I don't know why I put that there to be honest xD

2. Ok, I may have misunderstood. (As said twice) But I didn't just like this game automatically before playing it. To be honest, I thought it would be like the rest, but I was proven wrong.

I do like this game, but I have posted a "buttload" of bugs for Bravo1. I posted stuff like substitution bugs, combat stuff, etc. I just felt this guy's criticism was too harsh. I thought "This game isn't Sonic 2k6 so why the overly harsh criticism?"
Sorry, but I was just defending my friend here from what I thought to be harsh criticism. This conversation doesn't need to go further now that I have admitted my mistake. I understood my mistake and my misunderstanding, nothing more.
@Iobject you must be new to posting around Byond you can't win when your up against Yut Put and his feedback is harsh thats what he does if you actually read around he gives everyone harsh criticism to better the game and thats what most developers want not just :

Amazing
That sucks
etc.
@Yut Put I agree with you if they get mad at the feedback they aren't worth being developers. I am pretty sure people that made games like MW and all that had got negative feedback and didn't rage and get mad at it they take it in consideration(but have the time they really don't give 2 shits what you say).
I never said that it should always be sugar-coated, but there's really an extent to how harsh you should be. Now, I may have misunderstood your intentions, but in my perspective it seemed to me like you were just trying to be an arsehole to him and it seemed like you wanted to just bash on it for no reason.

Again, I misunderstood this. Text can be misunderstood easier than speaking, so please understand this. My text is especially misunderstood as "raging" when really I'm totally calm on the internet all the time.
Wow, what the fuck did I just miss??

to respond to Yutput: Thanks for the feedback, some of the points you made were misconceptions based on appearances, but you did have valid points and I'll work on those.

to F_A: Thanks for trying to mediate.

Iobject: Dude, calm down, I know you like the game but you've been watching it progress since back in the Alpha, from Yut's point of view it's not amazing, that's his opinion of it and yeah, it hurts to hear that, but this is what I use to fix things and make the game better.

As for the game though, the Beta was released to get a feel of the final product. Alpha was the core model, Beta is the framework for the finished title and the final release will be the full game with only subsequent bug fixes or additions without changing core details.

I remembered someone posting that the online connection was very unreliable and I agree with that. This is due to the fact that Export() cannot communicate with clients based on address, Export only works with game instances that are being actively hosted.

The issue is I wanted to make it so that the game will automatically connect to a server and be able to send messages back and forth. The server would compile a list of available matches and then display that list to the player. Unfortunately no matter what I do I always end up having the issue of being unable to send messages to a client PC if it's behind a router.

This troubles me greatly as one of the main ideas behind the game is to connect to other people and fight them. I cannot make a centralized server for players to fight on as it puts too much load on the server. Only one battle can be active at a time, otherwise the game slows to a crawl. It's the same way multiplayer matches for FPS or other console games work. One system is chosen as the host and it is automatically configured to support the other players as clients. The issue is that I can't get past peoples routers.

There's more to say about this but I'll stop here. Please PLEASE keep posting here though, I really want to hear your opinions and ideas of the game. Iobject, calm down due, they may seem harsh but it's helpful in the end.
Page: 1 2