ID:624617

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
As it stands now, when preload_rsc is used the client is forced to download the entire package, sounds and all; even if the client has their sounds disabled.

Without preload_rsc the client only has to download the resources they need, cutting out needlessly large downloads for files they aren't going to use.

I understand that using preload_rsc makes it pretty much impossible to determine which files not to download since it's just downloading the whole package.

What I propose is a second variable that works exactly like preload_rsc except allows for a second "lighter" file to be downloaded if the client has their sounds disabled. Which would mean of course providing an option in the package wizard to generate a file without the sounds as well as one with the sounds.

A lot of people, including me leave their sounds off not because the sounds annoy them but because their connection can't really handle downloading 10MB of music they'll never listen to.
Yes , this would be useful.
Agreed. I know at least a small handful of people that have a slow connection like that, and I don't even play a lot of games or meet a lot of people. It's quite common.
Could we have a method for this instead? Something like client.downloadResources(path_to_file) where the path may point to a local .rsc file or a valid URL.

It should then be possible to set client.preload_rsc=0 and call the downloadResources method on client/New().

We should also have a way to detect if the player has sounds enabled, so accompanying this feature should be a client.has_sounds variable that is TRUE when the player has sounds enabled or FALSE when sounds have been disabled. Perhaps we could have a similar variable for hardware rendering support?
If there's going to be a resource overhaul I'd definitely like to be able to monitor file transfer rates/completion percentages.
Yeah that would be quite useful.