ID:65527

BYOND Version:423.992
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.0.6

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Duplicates:id:85529, id:79909
Also verified on Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Descriptive Problem Summary: I couldn't really recall it a bug, but it's pretty annoying.
When I have lots of states in a icon, like, when I went to a state, and go back, the screen keeps flickering all those icon states for a while then stops with it after 3 seconds or so.
The annoying part is that they blinker, making me think I can't click them while it's blinkering, but I can click them.
The blinkering is just very annoying. When I try taking a printscreen of it, I get the look of the Icon I was editing.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Import a huge pixel file into one *.dmi file

Expected Results: Not to blinker when you return from a state where the icon file has a load of icon states.

Actual Results: Blinkering when you return from a state where the icon file has a load of icon states.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime.
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur? Not having an icon with lots of icon states.

Workarounds: Waiting or just bearing the flickering/blinkering and just work on it.

My PC has a nVidia Geforce 6150 SE 405, btw.
This also appeared on an nVidia Geforce 8400M GS,
Lummox JR's comment:

I've seen this before too, and after some investigating I've confirmed it happens in cases where the list control DM uses is displaying a lot of icons at once. For some reason it's prone to flicker in those cases.

I'm not sure what can be done about that but I'll look into it. I've mostly chalked it up to flakiness on the part of the control, but it'd be best for that not to happen.

Lummox JR
I've noted this as well, and it's actually quite annoying. Splitting up the icon file is an option, though not the best.
This is an issue inherent to the list control in Windows. It's something we'll want to try to fix at some point but not an immediate concern.
This seems to only happen once you have multiple icon "Windows" open in the same project.
This has been confirmed a long, long time ago with the cause already known and listed here. You necro'd the post for no reason.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
This has been confirmed a long, long time ago with the cause already known and listed here. You necro'd the post for no reason.

If this is caused by having multiple icons "open" at the same time then:
A. This probably isn't a Windows problem (as Lummox stated), because it only happens in certain circumstances
B. Since it only happens in those certain circumstances, it should be pretty easy for them to work around, if not fix entirely
C. I don't see what I posted as the cause noted anywhere else. This report says its caused by having a large amount of icon_states, which it may be, or that may just make things noticeably worse. However, the problem doesn't happen at all until you start opening multiple icon files inside the same project - and re-loading the project fixes the issue.
D. This still isn't fixed after 6+ months, so even the most generic bump seems appropriate.
E. It makes working graphically with BYOND even worse, so it probably should be an "immediate concern"
This hasn't been fixed because it's a Windows problem in the list control. It definitely is that, because I've seen similar behavior in other list controls including in the pager.

If there's a simple fix for this I'm open to discovering it, but I've never found any info on the problem.
Lummox JR wrote:
...because I've seen similar behavior in other list controls including in the pager.

Couldn't that still point to a usage mistake on your part?

If there's a simple fix for this I'm open to discovering it, but I've never found any info on the problem.

As I said, the problem only occurs once you've viewed multiple files inside the same project, and even then it only seems to happen if:
1. Open an icon file with a ton of icon_states
2. Open any other file
3. Go back to the large icon file
4. Enter and exit an icon_state (it displays fine if only opening it)
5. Other icons won't be effected until you repeat the steps for them
EDIT: Also, if you're inside an icon_state when you open another file, returning to that icon won't cause the flicker bug, unless it has already been triggered for that icon.
This seems to persist through any other files you swap between. Once you have a file opened after the icon, it will always flicker when you return to it. Maybe its trying to load all of these files on top of each other or something? Simple fix seems to be not storing the windows. A similar problem could exist for the pager, maybe you're attempting to load all of the tabs on top of each other, even when they aren't selected?
Falacy wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
...because I've seen similar behavior in other list controls including in the pager.

Couldn't that still point to a usage mistake on your part?

No. Usage of the list controls is fairly obvious and this behavior has been observed across every list control in every project.

As I said, the problem only occurs once you've viewed multiple files inside the same project, and even then it only seems to happen if:
1. Open an icon file with a ton of icon_states
2. Open any other file
3. Go back to the large icon file
4. Enter and exit an icon_state (it displays fine if only opening it)
5. Other icons won't be effected until you repeat the steps for them
EDIT: Also, if you're inside an icon_state when you open another file, returning to that icon won't cause the flicker bug, unless it has already been triggered for that icon.
This seems to persist through any other files you swap between. Once you have a file opened after the icon, it will always flicker when you return to it. Maybe its trying to load all of these files on top of each other or something? Simple fix seems to be not storing the windows. A similar problem could exist for the pager, maybe you're attempting to load all of the tabs on top of each other, even when they aren't selected?

The pager is handling those within property sheets. There's nothing nonstandard about the way they're being used.
Still, this doesn't just/always happen, it only happens when you have multiple files open on top of each other, so a fix should be possible
The fact that the control's bad behavior only comes up in certain circumstances is not in question. The fact that it misbehaves in the first place is the problem. This is not known to be fixable; the behavior that causes the problem is in the control itself, in code we do not have access to.
Whatever happens the first time you open an icon file, make that happen every time