ID:656178

Resolved
Some icons with many states could show the wrong one, if more than one state shared the same (non-blank) name and movement flag.
BYOND Version:494.1127(Beta)
Operating System:Windows 8
Web Browser:Chrome 18.0.1025.152
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
New BYOND version generally bugs icons in games with a lot of icons/states.
Ex: Say you had a water tile, it would change it to another random icon.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Have a game with a lot of icons with states.
Then it will change that icon to another icon that has a " " state.

Expected Results:
Use the icon you intended.
Actual Results:
Uses some other icon.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
every time and it will be changed to the same icon each time also.
In other games?
yes
In other user accounts?
yes
On other computers?
yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
When using a version before the newest (beta) release.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?

Workarounds:
Don't use the new version.
I need an example, since I have not seen this in action. A few new and old bugs have been fixed since 494.1127, but I'll need something concrete to see if there was a change in the way icons appear. Even if it's something as simple as giving me a link to a hub entry and instructions for how to see the bug once I log in, that would be helpful.

Also I need to know the following:

1) Are you using hardware or software rendering in your Preferences? Does the problem go away if you switch from one to the other?

2) Are you running the game yourself in Dream Seeker, or are you connecting to a remote server?
Example:
http://i.imgur.com/YU31r.png

it does it for a project I have also.
1) Non rendering, nope
2) It does it both ways (when I'm connected to a game and when I'm the one running it)
I need more than a screenshot--I need to know how to go to a game and reproduce this. If this happens in one of your projects then it would help to have that to test with, if not the source then at least the .dmb. I also need to know if this happens immediately or if it needs some time to come up.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "non rendering". Do you mean you're in software mode, or hardware mode?
It's using hardware mode, byond://108.11.215.86:12201 (Naruto GOA) for it to happen you need to have the latest BYOND client downloaded (the beta one), but it doesn't happen on the client that was right before it.
I also found a temporary fix, switching from hardware to software the bug persists, but after switching back to hardware a second time it acts as it should.
I managed to find the area on your screenshot, but I don't see the bug there at all. This happened immediately on login for you, and every time?

[edit]
I see it after logging back in.
It would help if you could produce a simpler test case for this. This happens only intermittently for me in Naruto GOA, and there are just too many icons and there's too much activity for me to properly diagnose this.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Some icons with many states could show the wrong one, if more than one state shared the same (non-blank) name and movement flag.
This actually isn't a new bug as such, but it was exacerbated by changes in an earlier 494 build. In the past this would have only shown up with icons with more than 100 states.

The problem is with icon files with states that have the same name and the same movement flag. We now use a more efficient state lookup system for icons with a certain number of states--before that was 100 or more, now it's 16+. The sorting algorithm was not taking original position into account, so Naruto GOA's several icons with the "fencer" state were getting mixed up at random.