ID:65994

Keywords: quotes
I'm fairly certain Niccolo Machiavelli wasn't the greatest guy in the world, but he has some excellent quotes I keep stumbling across.

(Like in Medieval 2: Total War)

Here are some of my favorites:

“Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil.”

“Before all else, be armed.”

“Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.”

“God is not willing to do everything, and thus take away our free will and that share of glory which belongs to us”

“Politics have no relation to morals.”

“Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions”

“Men shrink less from offending one who inspires love than one who inspires fear.”

“Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.”

“There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.”

“It is necessary for him who lays out a state and arranges laws for it to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope”

“There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt”

“You don't avoid such a war, you merely postpone it, to your own disadvantage.”

“He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the greatest loss.”
fuck you and your pseudo-intellectualism.
Propaganda wrote:
fuck you and your pseudo-intellectualism.

And fuck you for your lack of intellectualism. Say hello to ban for me!
Macchiavelli is best read as a whole, not a series of out of context quotes. Gathering from your own blogging history, I'm sure you've taken the glib contemporary application of these quotes rather than the historical paradigm in which they were written.
Like Bootyboy says, those short quotes in and of themselves are pretty dull.
Yeah, as BB says it's best to read him as a whole (including the discourses of Livy which was much more humanist than the prince). One important context to keep in mind is that many writers in his time around Europe could only get paid and survive by having a patron. More often than not, these patrons were aristocrats and nobles representing the status quo.

Many of his published (at the time) works, like the prince, were tailored to these patrons and may not have expressed his full feelings on these areas.
Yeah, I just read the wiki on him and looked up some quotes. I understood that he was tailoring his works like the prince, but I found the quotes so insightful that I couldn't help but take a liking to them.
Rockinawsome wrote:
Yeah, I just read the wiki on him and looked up some quotes. I understood that he was tailoring his works like the prince, but I found the quotes so insightful that I couldn't help but take a liking to them.

You're missing the point. What you are liking are thoughts that are completely out of context. The quotes have little to zero insight on their own, The Prince as a work of literature is a masterpiece.

In the way you've presented them, it's puzzling for any honest individual to consider those quotes insightful.
No, I got your point -- but I don't really care. I found them insightful, so could someone else. I don't really care if you like it or not, and I'm not really interested in arguing.
Rockinawsome wrote:
No, I got your point -- but I don't really care. I found them insightful, so could someone else.

Again you're missing my point. What about these out of context quotes are insightful? You are clearly stating that you find these quotes insightful... no one, including you, has stepped up to state why. Here's an analogous example, some rockinawsome person might say that "Nintendo 64's Superman was the best game EVAR." It would probably behoove that person to try to explain why.

Perhaps you mean that these quotes more fit your own mind and beliefs, and your blog post had actually little to do with the literary work of Machiavelli.

I don't really care if you like it or not, and I'm not really interested in arguing.

I never expressed whether I like it or not. I'm just asking why you find these quotes so insightful.
You read way too much into things. It's simple -- I like them. Oh, and if you know someone that likes that superman game I will personally punch him in the face -- free of charge.

Your intent to argue is implicit. You don't like me, so you come here to pick a fight. That's plain and easy to see: some rockinawsome person might say that "Nintendo 64's Superman was the best game EVAR."

Ahh yes, I regard your most wise and profound comments with the greatest of regard and care.

Of course, I don't really go around trolling your blog posts, but then, I've got better things to do, like respond to your posts attempting to troll, apparently.
Hes like the classic asshole, he deserves to be quotable but holy cow, do not actually align your morals to his!
Yeah, but he seems to say things that no one else will, and they seem to be correct. Of course, there's been more than a few occasions I've read his quotes and I haven't taken him to be correct.

It's merely the sheer volume of pragmatically accurate quotes though which I find so appealing.

Another thought, I am friends with quite a few Bender-from-Futurama types: e.g. the lovable rascal (to borrow Bender's words).

*Edit, I meant this to imply why I might take a liking to these quotes.
Rockinawsome wrote:
Your intent to argue is implicit. You don't like me, so you come here to pick a fight. That's plain and easy to see: some rockinawsome person might say that "Nintendo 64's Superman was the best game EVAR."

Dude, if you honestly think that I'm picking a fight based on a Nintendo 64 analogy... I mean come on; don't be so insecure. I didn't insult your mother for goodness sake.

Of course, I don't really go around trolling your blog posts, but then, I've got better things to do, like respond to your posts attempting to troll, apparently.

I suppose, but just realize that what you feel is "insightful" is coming across as... well... vacuous? I'm trying to think of the least offensive phrase/word here.

Another thought, I am friends with quite a few Bender-from-Futurama types: e.g. the lovable rascal (to borrow Bender's words).

*Edit, I meant this to imply why I might take a liking to these quotes.

Okay, makes sense now... I had thought you thought these quotes were actually insightful. You probably meant "slapstick-ish" or "comic fodder" instead.