ID:66291

I've played the beta, and it's the worst battlefield game ever made. While the game is ascetically pleasing and charming to look at, it plays clumsy, has poor design, and is downright irritating.

The game is "free", but you'll need to pay for "Battlefield Points" to acquire new clothes, weapons, emotes, etcetera. So that whole bit about EA seeing a new way to do business -- as seen in a certain magazine article (Games for Windows, I'm looking at you) -- sheer garbage. EA not only has space reserved during the beta for ads, but it's willing to make you pay for anything remotely interesting about the game.

When you play the actual game, you will discover that planes are now even harder to control, lag spikes are all too common (this is a beta--so this can be fixed with fewer people on the servers), crouching does nothing in terms of avoiding damage, and sprinting seems disabled.

The most irritating part of this game comes in the form of its RPG-like elements. Players have levels which enable them to receive all sorts of bonuses --the only problem is some of these bonuses seem to make players virtually invulnerable. Killing a level 30+ player with a level 5 and under character was pretty much impossible (and believe me, I'm not what you call lousy at shooters).

The game breaks down three classes: soldier,
commando, and something else I didn't care about.

I chose the commando.

Sniping the enemy was as effective as throwing rice at them, facing the wrong way in a wind storm. Though red numbers appeared above the heads of the enemies I tried so desperately to pick off, they would merely lumber about, taking their time to find me, absorb 3 or more hits to the body region, and miraculously kill me a 100 yards away with a machine gun.

Stabbing is equally ineffectual. I may as well try to chop a tree down with a butter knife as kill a high level player with a commando knife. I felt like I was an actor in a B-rated remake of the movie Psycho, hacking at my prey repeatedly before my prey decided it hadn't really been hurt that bad, run away, or turn around, and kill me with a shotgun.

In player chat, the topic frequently became about whether or not "good" players (usually higher 30+ level) were cheating or not. One considerate fellow made it his job to run fraps to be sure -- he failed to find any cheating.

The problem with this game is that it's much more RPG than it is shooter, and for an RPG -- it sucks. You're not finding loot, you're paying for it, with real digital money.

If you however, enjoy touting over your friends how much better you are because of how much time you've speant playing a game which isn't any fun, and enjoy creating better characters not based on any fantasy world achievements, but on real world success -- this game may just be your thing. But don't expect your friends to stick around, or to like you for anything more than that fat lump in your pants -- that is, your wallet.

I didn't stick around either, I quit playing when I realized that 5 tank shells later, I still couldn't kill a high level player.

Disclaimer: (This is an informal review, no research has been done of any kind, other than what I experienced first-hand. Errors may be plentiful. *Hell, it hasn't even been proofread or edited.)
I think it's pretty fun. The whole not being able to kill high level people shouldn't have even been an issue. As I understand it, the matchmaking system only puts you in with people around your level. Second, it's not like you get more health or armor as you level, just more effective skills. Heavy gunners (which are probably these invulnerable people you're talking about) are pretty overpowered though. They start with ridiculous HP and an armor buff skill. As a Commando, you have no business going up against them unless it's from faaaarr away in a cozy little sniping spot. Sprinting is only available to Commandos, as a skill you need to pick up.

Right now, there's really nothing worth actually paying real money for. It is beta after all. Like 99% of the stuff available you can buy with in-game money that you earn playing the game (clothes, weapons, everything you need). They've said you shouldn't ever need Battlefield Points anyways. All they'll get you is small EXP gaining boosts and superficial clothes. They recently released a pirate outfit and other things like that that don't actually do anything they just look nice.

It does get pretty lame sometimes though. They said designed the game so that it was "casual friendly" so to speak, so there's no one shot headshots or tank hits (unless you run over them in a vehicle). I love sniping though. Against another commando or a soldier it should take 2 quick shots to the head to take them down if you use the high damage rifle. Hell, sometimes just 1 if they were in a fight before you got to them. Agreed on the knife. You just swing away at people endlessly, praying they fall over and die. And then you realize you've been hitting a Heavy and he turns around and unloads on you point blank. It does do more damage from behind but not much more. But there's nothing more satisfying than stealthing up and knifing an unsuspecting camper in the back. The lag spikes are pretty fail too. In a game without one hit kills, seeing that dreaded "There is a problem with the connection" followed by a half second freeze can kill the game.

The cheating thing happens in any FPS really. People can't believe it when someone's just really good. Unfortunately some cheating does go on though.
People can't believe it when someone's just really good.
Ever been kicked from a room for it?

In regards to the sniping bit you said -- it still shouldn't take a head shot, plus 3 shots to the body to kill a person, that's ridiculously pathetic and boring.

The casual-friendly aspect translates to incredibly mundane gameplay. I have more fun playing super mario brothers 2 (this is 2, remember, not 1 or 3) than I do playing Battlefield Heroes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the other battlefield games, I played them to death, but that's why I hate this one so intensely. I feel like they didn't even try to make a good game.
Thanks for sharing. Seems like an interesting approach.
I'm also in the beta, and although I'm enjoying it I think they need to increase tank damage versus infantry (and explosives damage versus tanks), since tank shells are so underpowered against infantry. If anything, hitting a player with a tank shell gives them an advantage since they fly off into the air which makes them harder to hit.