ID:66548

Keywords: development
The long-awaited Efencea overhaul update is up and ready for download.

Click to Visit

Now go And Eat Up single player. :)
Any Suggestions, Bug reports, or Questions belong in the the Efencea Forum.

Thanks. Feedback always apprecitaed.
'Cept I forgot to update the in-game version so the hub will report 1.1. XD
coool
Took long enough, >_>
February 04, 2009 - April 27, 2009

just over 3 months working on it. :p
Tayoko wrote:
February 04, 2009 - April 27, 2009

just over 3 months working on it. :p

Us players like to get what we want,

and fast...
That's actually kind of a short amount of time.. in my opinion.
Tayoko wrote:
That's actually kind of a short amount of time.. in my opinion.

That's what you think, you're the developer, trying stepping in Ganing's shoes, he's probably so happy that he could just...
My thoughts:

- When the game starts up, make the whole interface invisible until after it has finished opening the proper window and centered it. That way the player doesn't see the window bouncing around at startup. Actually you can make the window invisible whenever it swaps from one window to another so that the player doesn't have to see the changes happening step by step.

- Is there a difference between the factions, or is it just graphical? A text box below each option might be a little more informative, if there's any differences. Or at least an explanation of what role each faction is playing as regards to Efencea.

- The SFX Volume: ## and Music Volume: ## messages are highly unnecessary and detract from the profesionalism. Try to reserve the "Chat" section for, you know, chat. Not spammy, unnecessary messages.

- Have you considering giving the attacking units some slight pixel offsets so they don't seem quite so stuck to the grid, or was stuck to the grid your desired look?

- I would very much suggest that you build some "question mark" help into each of the interface elements. A small question mark button in the corner of each section that players can click on to open up the help topic on that section. Because the current help system provides you with a list of help topics, and considering I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I don't know where to begin. A tutorial mode would also be nice, but that's a lot more work.

- Oh, and the helpfiles need to be updated with the new interface.

- There is like, no information about the attacking units when you're selecting them. It might be in the helpfile somewhere, but I want a description of what each unit is for, not just some numbers. Are there any special differences between units besides cost, health and speed?

- Might be good to specify which end of the formation is the front.

- For single player especially, since most people are going to be learning the ropes and reading the help information hopefully, there needs to be a pause button.

- Also a button to restart the game after you realize that you've screwed everything up while you're figuring out what to do.

- There should be some big button that appears after the game ends so you can go back to the main menu without waiting.

- How do you unlock other maps in single player?
Foomer wrote:
- When the game starts up, make the whole interface invisible until after it has finished opening the proper window and centered it. That way the player doesn't see the window bouncing around at startup. Actually you can make the window invisible whenever it swaps from one window to another so that the player doesn't have to see the changes happening step by step.

I chose to avoid Options and Messages popping up when you make the windows invisible. Also, I found during the initial release of Efencea that invisible windows are unreliable. This may have just been me implementing the updates improperly but I opted to remove it.

- Is there a difference between the factions, or is it just graphical? A text box below each option might be a little more informative, if there's any differences. Or at least an explanation of what role each faction is playing as regards to Efencea.

Mostly the differences are graphical. The units themselves are identical besides their graphics. The difference lies in the slow/freeze towers, where one slows them and one freezes them.

- The SFX Volume: ## and Music Volume: ## messages are highly unnecessary and detract from the profesionalism. Try to reserve the "Chat" section for, you know, chat. Not spammy, unnecessary messages.

I must've left those in somehow. I meant to remove all the system messages. You used to get annoying "Can't afford that formation, only ## duration."

It's obvious that BYOND isn't for professional games. We've tried. Try not to expect too much! :)

- Have you considering giving the attacking units some slight pixel offsets so they don't seem quite so stuck to the grid, or was stuck to the grid your desired look?

Honestly, I considered it briefly. I don't know if the effect is worth implementing. I'll consider the idea.

- I would very much suggest that you build some "question mark" help into each of the interface elements. A small question mark button in the corner of each section that players can click on to open up the help topic on that section. Because the current help system provides you with a list of help topics, and considering I don't have a clue what I'm doing, I don't know where to begin. A tutorial mode would also be nice, but that's a lot more work.

The '?' idea would definitely be beneficial. I'll keep it in mind. I don't buy the I can't read the help since I'm dumb approach. However, even if you'd've tried you would have found the help files terribly outdated.

- Oh, and the helpfiles need to be updated with the new interface.

Gah. Mentioned.

- There is like, no information about the attacking units when you're selecting them. It might be in the helpfile somewhere, but I want a description of what each unit is for, not just some numbers. Are there any special differences between units besides cost, health and speed?

I understand what you're saying. Most players don't even read the unit names, so, I'm not too worried about this part.

- For single player especially, since most people are going to be learning the ropes and reading the help information hopefully, there needs to be a pause button.

We intended on making a tutorial match to teach players the 'ropes'.

- Also a button to restart the game after you realize that you've screwed everything up while you're figuring out what to do.

Just restart the game.

- There should be some big button that appears after the game ends so you can go back to the main menu without waiting.

Good idea, although I put that wait on there to make sure the data for rankings got exported before the next match.

- How do you unlock other maps in single player?

There is only one map available at this time.

Vermolius wrote:
Just restart the game.

The only way I can see to restart the game is to close the program and start it up again, typically by going back to the DOWNLOAD link on the hub page. That's a pretty tacky way to do it when you could just put a restart/main menu button on the options page.

I also noticed a few little glitches like, when you start as aliens and you're in attack mode, your default attack funds are 0. You have to click on the attack button before it actually gives you funds to work with.

Also, the first time you click on the tower selection section without having displayed any tower stats, the default stats are all "99".
Any Suggestions, Bug reports, or Questions belong in the the Efencea Forum.

Thanks.

http://www.byond.com/members/Efencea/ forum?action=forum_index
"The long-awaited Efencea overhaul update is up and ready for dowload."

Long-awaited?? pfff who is waiting for this piece of crap... xD jk Looking great you guys keep it up!!

MdNight wrote:
"The long-awaited Efencea overhaul update is up and ready for dowload."

Long-awaited?? pfff who is waiting for this piece of crap... xD jk Looking great you guys keep it up!!

Ganing XD

<3