Zaole wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Okay. So this hits about a 100 on the stupid scale of stupid internet phenomena. Lets see now:

Zaole wrote:
...Actually, let's do that right now. We'll take a look at the argument I put forth, and your response-- and we'll examine how it falls apart when not puffed up with ridiculous insults.

Insinuation. Hypocrisy. Oh, irony?

It's not an insinuation because I go on to explain it. Do you know what the word you're using means?

Yes, yes I do. Dictionary.com happens to agree with me:

covert or artful suggestion or hinting, as of something implied: His methods of insinuation are most ingenious.

Notice that insinuations don't have to be conveyed secretively to retain their meaning; the context can be sneaky in nature but not hidden. Covert does not mean invisible, or the point would be lost.

If you feel that saying digi's insults are ridiculous is, in and of itself, a ridiculous insult, then sure, I'm being hypocritical. Calling out both hypocrisy and irony is a bit redundant, though.

How so ? The two are nigh mutually exclusive.

Zaole wrote:
So... how does that answer my question? Not anywhere in your response to this question do you explain why it was made public.

Except for the fact that the entire paragraph addressed that. He even provided a dumbed down version.

Care to point out where he addressed that?

Sure. He responded directly to your quote, with the paragraph; to anyone with common sense and the ability to deduct logic, that means its a response to your question. I can phrase the beginning differently if it'll help:

"I'm posting this in public because [snip]"

There you go.

Insinuation.
Yes, of course it's insinuation- that's the whole idea. I'm insinuating that he gets joy out of bashing others, with my evidence being his public bashing of others. No news here.

That isn't evidence enough in and of itself. You lack the basic proper elements to form an argument in your favor here; you have nothing linking joy to it being public.

Repeatedly rebutted by the OP,

You can't rebut a hidden emotion (or lack thereof).

It sort of ceases to be hidden when you bring it up - Which he then addresses. Unless you're trying to say that he doesn't know he gets his jollies off of doing it. In which case we're back to you trying to play closet psychiatrist and failing horribly because you have no sound argument except a lack of evidence to the contrary.

so why does it keep being brought up? He's not smiling about flogging some kid in public, because thats an issue of perception.
It is in fact an issue of perception, and I'm merely voicing my perception.

Which is fine, but you're partially passing it off as fact - Which is fallacy.

Hows ridiculous overexaggeration sound?

Insinuatory? Hypocritical? Ironic? ;P

That was the entire point :)

Are we talking about the same post?
Actually, I was more speaking along the lines of my personal experiences with digi spewing profane language in other instances, not this one. I should have clarified on that part.

Are we talking about Chatters? Because in that case, I don't see how its relevant here. You're mudding the waters a bit I think, because you're accusing him of something he can't defend by attacking his personality with evidence gathered on your lonesome that you have neither shared nor cared to bring up except as a stereotype on digitalmouse as a whole. Either stick to this or bring up relevant cases. And if those cases are Chatters, I'd probably not bring them up - Because 95% of Chatters acts like idiots in there.

You're going all crazy on digitalmouse for what is, at best, a mild insult by todays standards. In the world the rest of us live in, this constitutes not some emotional trauma nor some life-defining moment where digitalmouse is suddenly reduced to 'angry old man' in everyones eyes, but merely another passing irrelevant moment where someone happened by a thread and went, 'Oh! Chance to try and play elitist! I'll do it!'. Its rather like schoolyard mentality - Where the kids too shy to bully others see one person doing it, then spend the rest of their time trying to find a victim so they can finally excersize their newfound prowess by proclaiming power. Spartans, TO WAR!

This is how interesting the OP post ranks on the scale of 'oh dear no' internet posts:

http://www.wailoong.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ sleepy-kitten-01.jpg

And *yes*, I'm doing this to publically humiliate. Because I do believe in the fact that almost no one will care, and you browse the internet so you should probably be able to handle it. See, you're not dead - Its a miracle. The sky has not fallen, and no kittens have died either. Yet.

It was my bad when I said the line about the public caring; I spoke wrong. My position on this whole issue is more along the lines of "digi should be above this kind of behavior, being the person he is", not "this is an atrocity and will scar this kid's life".

Your post didn't come across as such, until now. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not trying to attack you, merely also trying to clarify an opposite point to the one I felt you were bringing up.

Knowing digitalmouse personally and having known him for years, I can testify to the fact that he's a man of principle when it comes to life and what you make of it and yourself. Just like the stupid get whacked with reality occasionally IRL (myself included), so does the same happen online. I agree that the form in question wasn't appropriate (digitalBYOND blog, 'fail' comment that has now already been removed) and so does digitalmouse - But I think there has been a fair deal of overexaggeration as to the nature of the post, the intent of the post and the result of the post.

If someone is intent on seeing a bird instead of a rock, their mind will eventually show them a bird. Thats a horrible example, but I hope I get the point across.

Watch yourself Zaole. The key to dealing with internet personalities like Alathon and digitalmouse is to make your point and get out. It's kind of like backing a animal into a corner: the more you try to reason with them, the more aggressive and irrational they get.

Any reasonable person who reads the post in question will come to the correct conclusion about it, and will form their opinion of digitalmouse accordingly. He is now aware that there are people out there who see these posts for what they are, and that is all that matters.
SilkWizard wrote:
It's kind of like backing a animal into a corner: the more you try to reason with them, the more aggressive and irrational they get.

raaaawwrrrr!
or in this case, the more amused i become at the attention such an innocuous and insignificant post makes.

> He is now aware that there are people out there who see these posts for what they are, and that is all that matters.

more like i am aware that people spend waaaay too much time over-analyzing and seeing things that really are not there, because they can.
It appears this discussion has now rolled to a halt. Let a couple things be known:

1. I wasn't as exuberant about my original point as you guys seem to have interpreted; it feels like we're on the same page now
2. I like digi
3. I feel compelled to put 'failed closet psychiatrist' in my description ;o
Oh come now, you don't even have any witty remarks this time. No one is having a heated argument, although you of course as usual feel free to portray a perception that often hits so far from the mark that its not even on the same planet.

SilkWizard wrote:
Watch yourself Zaole. The key to dealing with internet personalities like Alathon and digitalmouse is to make your point and get out. It's kind of like backing a animal into a corner: the more you try to reason with them, the more aggressive and irrational they get.

Still getting your rocks off trying to taunt people though, I see :) Its funny you bring this up after posts in which me and Zaole agree on several points, some of which digitalmouse have conceded to as well.

Any reasonable person who reads the post in question will come to the correct conclusion about it, and will form their opinion of digitalmouse accordingly.

I completely agree - Except, the correct conclusion is what every person wants to define it as.

He is now aware that there are people out there who see these posts for what they are, and that is all that matters.

You'd think that anyone above the age of 12 realizes that people form opinions of their own accord; I'm sure digitalmouse does too. Do you? Unlike you, I see no need from him to overstate his own traits in order to try and obviate said conclusions by other people.
Zaole wrote:
3. I feel compelled to put 'failed closet psychiatrist' in my description ;o

Protected by copyright; that'll be $5 for every use, please!

SilkWizard wrote:

Any reasonable person who reads the post in question will come to the correct conclusion about it, and will form their opinion of digitalmouse accordingly. He is now aware that there are people out there who see these posts for what they are, and that is all that matters.

You wouldn't be trying to publicly ridicule someone there would you Silkwizard?
Tiberath wrote:
You wouldn't be trying to publicly ridicule someone there would you Silkwizard?

You wouldn't be trying to get me to rewrite the exact same response that I already gave you in comment #22, would you? ;)
Using the exact same response would be boring though. I was gunning for something new and fresh. =)
Page: 1 2 3 4