ID:68320

Keywords: balzack, rpg, series

Poll: Favorite classic console RPG series?

Final Fantasy 40% (25)
Dragon Warrior/Quest 25% (16)
Ultima 6% (4)
EarthBound 17% (11)
Wizardry 0% (0)
Phantasy Star 9% (6)

Login to vote.

Curious as to what RPG series people prefer out of the NES/SNES era of gaming.

I pretty much picked all the big names I could think of from the NES, SNES and Sega Genesis that either I've played or I've heard are good from other people. So let me know if you think I left out any major names- I'm always up for being introduced to more clssic RPG's!
Oooh, that's a tough one. I was split between DQ, EarthBound and Final Fantasy, but I had to go Final Fantasy as it was the first real RPG I played (FF2/4) and it was a major part of my life during the SNES days.

I actually prefer the EarthBound/Mother games more than DQ but that's only because EarthBound was friggin' epic. Mother 3's semi-recent translation only made me love the series more.

You couldn't have picked better choices for this poll, all of these series played some kind of role in my life growing up and I actually sat here for a few minutes contemplating my answer.
Hmm looks like I was the only person to pick Earthbound. Final Fantasy was the biggest RPG I've played, but Earthbound was by far the funnest. Still hadn't played 3 yet tho.
Of that list, the Earthbound series.
Shining Force
Evi of au wrote:
Shining Force

Amen.

I voted for Earthbound since SF wasn't on there.
Never played any of those, so I have no idea. I am only posting because I was surprised Zelda wasn't on the list. I never played that either but I heard it was a good RPG.
I briefly considered Shining Force because those games are pretty fun, but as a turn based strategy game it doesn't completely fit the genre that I was thinking of.

And the Zelda series isn't RPG, it's Action/Adventure.
Cavern wrote:
Never played any of those, so I have no idea. I am only posting because I was surprised Zelda wasn't on the list. I never played that either but I heard it was a good RPG.

Zelda wasn't an RPG. It falls into the category of "Adventure"... and the fact that you haven't played it is almost criminal ;)

I'm about to dive into the Lufia and Phantasy Star series for the first time, but in terms of the NES-SNES generation, Dragon Warrior edges Final Fantasy.

Ultima was more of a PC franchise, although Quest of the Avatar for NES rocked my face off. The Shining series is fun but the storylines/characterization are complete crap. Overall, Chrono Trigger was probably the ultimate achievement in the SNES era in pretty much every respect.
Aw, I can't edit an existing poll. I was going to add Lufia to it.

It's almost criminal of me, but I decided that since Chrono Trigger wasn't a well established series (the only sequel being on PSX) I'd omit it from the poll. It was too much of a threat anyways, since it's the ultimate amalgamation of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy ;)
SilkWizard wrote:
Zelda wasn't an RPG. It falls into the category of "Adventure"... and the fact that you haven't played it is almost criminal ;)

I can't even tell you how many times I have heard that in my life. Makes me want to actually try it.
Jaredoggy wrote:
Aw, I can't edit an existing poll. I was going to add Lufia to it.

Damn, you're right -- I can't believe I forgot about Lufia either!

It's almost criminal of me, but I decided that since Chrono Trigger wasn't a well established series (the only sequel being on PSX)

Technically Radical Dreamers for the SNES falls into the CT series, but not as a sequel.

With the amount of votes Earthbound got I'm thinking I really need to go find the ROM's/patch's and play through them sometime soon.
Definitely, based on the games I know you like I'm fairly certain you'll like the EarthBound series too.
I choose Final Fantasy, that game was alwayz time consumingly fun. Lol.

-Gizhy
I'm going to have to go with Dragon Quest, as DW/Q 3 still stands as my favorite RPG to date, so much so that I still decide to start up a new file every now and then.
As a side note, I think the Shadowrun series(though I use that term loosely, as two games isn't really much of a series) is also pretty awesome, and probably would have been my second choice had it made it onto this poll.
I didn't really like Phantasy Star.
Go to zenthia for your favorite form! ~ bruce in
NEStalgia