ID:692517

Why is it so hard to find a pixel artist?
Because most 'pixel artists' on BYOND just slightly edit others people work and call it their own, or they just don't know how to make very good art. Pixel artists outside of BYOND, and most of the better ones on BYOND also generally expect to earn money for their services unless it is a project they're more passionate about.
And have these 'pixel artist' ever stopped and wondered why Byond lacks so many original games and more rips?
Byond lacks better Community. The one we have right now is Greedy and Selfish ^^
They are easy to find.

Find a site, such as PixelJoint, that is geared towards pixel art and be willing to pay.
They don't care, lol. They're usually young, and/or immature, and they are often the rippers putting those games up to begin with. If not, they are rippers their selves, or simply lack the motivation and/or determination to get any good at art. They just pull icons from elsewhere, call them good, or edit them and call their selves good.

As for those who want to be payed, I can't really blame them. Speaking as a pixel artist, it is very time consuming, and sometimes even very hard work; so if you're not really into the project it's only natural to want pay.

I'd actually look into helping you, but I already have plenty of my own projects to focus on for right now. This may be the case for a few of the other, more capable pixel artists as well. Those with the skill, and maturity to do what you need may just be busy or looking for appropriate pay since it isn't their project and they're not passionate about it.
In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
Byond lacks better Community. The one we have right now is Greedy and Selfish ^^

I thought I was the only one that noticed that.
I can't argue with that, but I feel that the site itself could offer incentives to promote work and that might help it speed things along.

I mentioned this once before but Unity3d uses a similiar system and it works very well.

Also byond has a significantly smaller staff so it's pretty hard work I'm sure maintaining the community,updatiing, moderating,etc.

But basically yea.. most people are greedy, selfish and to top that all off, you seem to get treated like crap around here if you don't have anything on your creation page. It also discourages new people from doing anything or getting anything done.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
But basically yea.. most people are greedy, selfish[...]

I don't see where the greed exists. In life, if there is a demand for a product or service, you'll need to pay.
In response to .screw
.screw wrote:
Dariuc wrote:
But basically yea.. most people are greedy, selfish[...]

I don't see where the greed exists. In life, if there is a demand for a product or service, you'll need to pay.

Greed comes into people wanting you to pay them for work they haven't done. Like ripping other peoples graphics and offering them as your own, but greed doesn't have to stem from just money. It could just be the lust for a sense of power that one has by having something someone else doesn't and refusing to share out of spite- even if it's not their own original work.

I believe the OP has suffered from the above a few times if I remember right. People holding onto ripped graphics that aren't rightly theirs, refusing to share unless they get something out of it,etc.

Aside from that another main problem I think is people love to "snipe" on this website.

Out of all the replies you chose mine to pick one small comment and try to point out some kind of flaw (not villianzing you here it's just something i also noticed in the past).. That happens alot here. It's really silly sometimes and I feel pointless.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
Greed comes into people wanting you to pay them for work they haven't done. Like ripping other peoples graphics and offering them as your own[...]

Sounds like you need to find a more reliable person to do business with. I suggest only doing business with those with a good reputation.

Out of all the replies you chose mine to pick one small comment and try to point out some kind of flaw (not villianzing you here it's just something i also noticed in the past).. That happens alot here. It's really silly sometimes and I feel pointless.

Just so you know. I have never seen you on this site before, so it's nothing personal. You had a comment I disagreed with so I supplied my opinion. I'm not going to reply to everyone else and make a fallacy disagreement statement just make everybody feel equal.
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Why is it so hard to find a pixel artist?

Same as it's hard to find a competent programmer, or anyone else with a technical skill that you don't have yourself.

You have to give them an incentive to want to talk to you, as working on a project that isn't their own baby is more of a chore than a hobby.
In most cases, that incentive is going to be money. And more money than most people on BYOND offer for things. If it has less than one 0 on the end, you're basically mocking their skills.
I like to be paid in gum.
Me and Teka had a talk about this a while back thats all the Byond community care for is money. And if they didn't things would be different.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

No one ever pays me in gum. :(
^lol u beat me to the punch.
In response to TheLionsRoar
TheLionsRoar wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

No one ever pays me in gum. :(

We have a winner!
In response to ImmeasurableHate
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Me and Teka had a talk about this a while back thats all the Byond community care for is money. And if they didn't things would be different.

This isn't a problem. If someone has a skill that isn't trivial, why shouldn't you have to give them an incentive to put that skill at your beck-and-call? They have better things to do than work on your game for no reason.

If you can't find a decent pixel artist for your game, it's either because your game isn't interesting - in which case money will make it a more interesting prospect - or your game sounds like too much work, in which case be less ambitious.

In response to ImmeasurableHate
The BYOND community? More like most people in general, in my opinion. Money is required for many things, sure, but most people get too caught up in that and forget that what's really important is usually what you're trying to do with/for the money, not the money its self.
Its a fact , the majority of the community is full of pricks.
Well to me if you want to get paid you better give 110%. Literally for pixel artist you better be around Zane's lvl if you want to get paid I see pixel artist that are not even better then me asking for money. And there are benefits for working on a game with out pay and thats testing ur skill. Pushing yourself to do whatever the guy wants u to do.
Page: 1 2 3 4